If you want an Underdrive Pulley, Read First!

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

If you want an Underdrive Pulley, Read First!

Post by LionheartedSXT » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:42 am

Now for all of you that don't have one and are thinking about buying one, STOP!!! and ask around first to people that already have one. Don't get me wrong it is a nice mod with some impressive results. But your major concern is the belt sizes more or less for the power steering/air conditioner pulleys or for those of you that only have power steering, 9 out of 10 times, the belts given with your pulley if it does come with belts WILL NOT FIT!!! I had this problem with the AF/X pulley I ordered from Howell Automotive...The alternator belt fit fine, as for the ps/ac was hell. I received a longer belt than needed. And it was a hassle making several trips to the Advanced to find the right belt which they did not have in stock, but luckily the shop I had my car at had the right belt size. So this is the "Correct" belt size for the AF/X pulley. As for the Zzap or any of the ebay pulleys the belt sizes will most likely vary...

Note: These are dayco brand belts for the AF/X UDP...(Howell Automotive)
Ps/Ac belt size: 5040500 4PK1270 *Edit: If that doesn't fit, then a 490 series of either a Napa/Gates brand is your next best bet*
Alt. belt size: 5040305 4PK0775

Note: These are gatorback brand belts for the Unorthodox UDP...(Modern Performance)
Ps/Ac belt size: 4040500
Alt. belt size: 4040315

Note: These are the belt sizes for the MPX UDP...(modern Performance)
Ps/Ac belt size: 4PK1270
Alt. belt size: 4PK0775

I only hope this helps all you people that are planning on buying Underdrive pulleys in the future...
Last edited by LionheartedSXT on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:09 am, edited 6 times in total.
-Chad
MoxHair wrote:pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Its all smoke and mirrors.
- Project Log
- Feedback

bdmski
2GN Member

Post by bdmski » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:58 am

The belts that came with my Modern Performance under drive pulley were snug, but fit fine. :)

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:06 am

bdmski wrote:The belts that came with my Modern Performance under drive pulley were snug, but fit fine. :)
You were very lucky indeed my friend...You didn't suffer the fate that a lot of us have...I just wanted to put this out there so noobs or others that were considering the pulley would have something to reference themselves to, just so they know that there is a good chance they may not receive the right belts...
-Chad
MoxHair wrote:pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Its all smoke and mirrors.
- Project Log
- Feedback

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:10 am

Screw that, my AC runs like dog shit. It used to blow cold ass air on setting #1. Now I have to put it on #3-4 and it doesn't get cool at all.
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:13 am

lol damn thats horrible...I feel as though after my UDP was installed, my a/c blew a hell of a lot colder than before...I have to turn it off cuz its so cold...
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

blue demon02
2GN Member

Re: For all that want an Underdrive Pulley...Please Read!!!!

Post by blue demon02 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:46 am

LionheartedSXT wrote:I had this problem with the AF/X pulley I ordered from Howell Automotive...
That was your problome right there. I will not order anything from them. They suck. (ducks from future flaming)

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:04 am

Before the udp i had to turn it off.

But it wasnt 100+ back then so idk

TN.Frank
2GN Member

Post by TN.Frank » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:57 am

If you go with Duralast belts(hey, I work at AutoZone so I get a 20% discount so hell yes I'm buying their parts for my car.LOL.) the 320k4 will work great on the alt.(a 325k4 will work but you'll be all the way out on your adjustments) and the 505k4 should be right for the ps/ac belt. We had to get the 505k4 from our hub store in Knoxville so I'll know better tonight wether it fits or not but I know for dang sure the 515k4 was way too big.
?You know what the difference between me and you really is? You look out there and see a horde of evil, brain eating zombies. I look out there and see a target rich environment.?
-Dillis D. Freeman Jr. 11/2/2001

bone-yard-racing
2GN Member

Post by bone-yard-racing » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:00 am

Not belts. None of you have ever raced a 1gn have you? If you dont like buying belts stay away from them.

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:00 am

blue demon02 wrote:That was your problome right there. I will not order anything from them. They suck. (ducks from future flaming)
I agree with you there...not till recently for me, there customer service has really sucked, they had to pass the line over 3 different times to other people and still couldn't tell me what to do since they gave me the wrong belt...
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

TN.Frank
2GN Member

Post by TN.Frank » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:10 am

LionheartedSXT wrote:
blue demon02 wrote:That was your problome right there. I will not order anything from them. They suck. (ducks from future flaming)
I agree with you there...not till recently for me, there customer service has really sucked, they had to pass the line over 3 different times to other people and still couldn't tell me what to do since they gave me the wrong belt...
The guy I talked to at MP made it sound like NO ONE had ever had a problem and that it was something I did wrong, not that they'd listed the wrong belt size on their web site.
?You know what the difference between me and you really is? You look out there and see a horde of evil, brain eating zombies. I look out there and see a target rich environment.?

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:27 am

Hmm I just checked the Mpx website and there belt sizes for the Unorthodox and Mpx pulley match the ones I listed above for the AF/X pulley...I guess they are the same then...On neons that is...non srt-4...
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

TN.Frank
2GN Member

Post by TN.Frank » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:33 am

They listed a 305 and a 500, both of which are too small. You need more like a 320 and a 505-510 for them to fit.

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:36 am

ok nevermind then lol...305 and 500 worked perfect and fit snug for my pulley...
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

TN.Frank
2GN Member

Post by TN.Frank » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:53 am

I needed about an inch using those belts to get em' to fit over my pullies and I had the alt all the way in as far as it would go. The 325 for the alt is a bit larger then I really needed as the alt is all the way out now so a 320 would have been just about perfect. The 500 would in no way fit and the 515 slipped on without putting any tention on the belt tentioner and with a lot of slop, the 505 should fit snuggly.

As a side note, the belts I'm using are Duralast and Gatorbacks. Gates and Dayco may have differnt specs. for their listed length. A 500 Dayco might be as long as a 505 or 510 Duralast so that'd be why a 500 Duralast wouldn't work where as a 500 Dayco might work. Just thought I'd throw that out there as an explaination as to why my numbers are different from the numbers on your belts.

TN.Frank
2GN Member

Post by TN.Frank » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:16 pm

Ok, got my belts figured out and I made a tool to fit into the square notch on my tensioner so I can move it easier. Anyway, seems like a Gatorback 4040315 and a 4040500 seem to work pretty well. And YES, the car does feel a bit peppier. Anyway, that's all. Talk to ya'll later.

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:20 pm

Sounds good, glad to hear its on...I think I will add those belt sizes for the unorthodox pulley in this thread...
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

TN.Frank
2GN Member

Post by TN.Frank » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:08 pm

I"m really supprised at that little extra "pep" having the UDP has given my car. Since it's an SXT with a 125 amp alt. I think I'll be fine in the electircal dept and the steering feels fine. For sure a good mod for anyone wanting a bit more HP with an easy bolt on.

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:06 pm

no issues with my MPx UDP...
Jerome

'03 SXT...DODGE NEON CONES

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #067

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:31 pm

yea I seem to be hearing that a lot with the mpx's version of it...maybe its just the af/x and unorthodox that seem to be placed with the wrong belts...
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

gilly02le
2GN Member

Post by gilly02le » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:12 am

Adionik wrote:Screw that, my AC runs like dog shit. It used to blow cold ass air on setting #1. Now I have to put it on #3-4 and it doesn't get cool at all.

With 130,000km on my car and a udp for the last 30,000 i can personally tell ya, that if your ac doesnt blow cold, your a/c is fuckkked. I swear to god i could make ice in my car when A/C is on.

p.s - setting 1,2,3,4 are all the same temperature, those are fan speed settings.
New Sig Time.

w0158981
2GN Member

Post by w0158981 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:11 pm

this might sound really stupid but how much do these belts run for?

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:15 pm

it verys depending on brand

also, i put the MPx UDP on my car. i used the belts it came with. the only problem i had with the belts were that they were cheap.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:27 am

w0158981 wrote:this might sound really stupid but how much do these belts run for?
It depends on if you go cheap brand or quality brand...Also on the count of if you want a lifetime warranty on the belts it will be more expensive, for my Dayco PS/AC belt w/ a lifetime warranty, I paid about $16 for it at advanced...
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:58 am

I paid $12 for one and like $10 for another

TN.Frank
2GN Member

Post by TN.Frank » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:46 am

Well, after a couple weeks the 4040500 has stretched out to the point where the marks on the tensioner are at "worn out", which I know isn't true but still, I'm worried that there's not enough tension on the belt. My only other option in Gatorback is a 4040490 which will be a full inch shorter. Guess I'll have to pick one up and see if it'll fit.

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:03 am

I have a 500 on there and it stretched like you mentioned. Originally I had a gates 490 on there and it fit good, tight but good. A dayco 490 was given as my last replacement and it wouldn't fit as it's a thicker belt so I had to step up to the 500. I've been running the 500 for about a year. Even though it's on the loose side it's fine, just squaks a bit on startup since it's not as tight as it should be.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

asanti
2GN Member

Post by asanti » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:44 pm

I've had an AF/X piece for about a good 6yrs. No problems with the belts honestly (actually have 2 f/s :rofl: ). When I had A/C it blew a touch warmer than usual but I rarely used it though.
Official "I drove my Neon till it died" member #??? Parted out the '01 so that she can live on through others! (Now driving + modding my '09 Chevy HHR SS!)
Mat00ES wrote:Find me a buyer and I'll sell some body parts for car parts.

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:47 pm

fixitmattman wrote:I have a 500 on there and it stretched like you mentioned. Originally I had a gates 490 on there and it fit good, tight but good. A dayco 490 was given as my last replacement and it wouldn't fit as it's a thicker belt so I had to step up to the 500. I've been running the 500 for about a year. Even though it's on the loose side it's fine, just squaks a bit on startup since it's not as tight as it should be.
yea man I got the same series belt and that is exactly what happens, as soon as I start my car I hear a slight chirp and it just disappears...I don't think it is anything to worry about but it bugs me from time to time...
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:57 pm

Yeah, only when it's wet or cool/damp out does it actually make any noise. Normally then even it's just at startup or when the steering rack is at full lock and the pump's working.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

Return to “Engine”