Alternator Removal

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
latief
2GN Member

Alternator Removal

Post by latief » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:43 pm

So i was changing my tensioner pulley, and i decided to change my alternator while i was there.....it was a no go....

I unbolted the two main bolts, and loosened the adjusting bolt. the thing will not move. am i supposed to remove the black bracket it attaches to also?

it was so damn frustrating....

feedback?

thanks,

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:54 pm

Considering your locale, the bolts shouldn't be rusted in place...
I would try tapping it with a rubber hammer, but as long as the bolt that locks it in place on the top is loose, the adjuster screw should move it. I don't think I even loosened the pivot bolt when I did the timimg belt.

Edit:
Bill
Probably shouldn't listen to anything your penis says, that guy's a dick.
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:05 pm

Needs to be tapped out with a hammer. There's a roll pin on the bottom mount.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

latief
2GN Member

Post by latief » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:04 am

Thanks,

Bolts came out fine, but i could not access the bolted-on ground wire in the back, and i was not sure if the black bracket that attaches it to the engine block should be removed....

eventually it started getting dark and i started to panic :lol:... but man, that it one lousy location to be working on........my back hurts today from bending over the engine bay!!!

It took me 1 hour to replace the belt tensioner including raising and lowering the engine, removing and installing all mounts + mounting bracket....

it took me 2 hours to try and remove alternator with no results. and the FSM i have was not really that clear on the procedure...

besides, i doubt that it will go out through the wheel well as indicated by the FSM, anyone tried that ? do you pull it out the top or bottom?

thanks for the feedback.....

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:40 pm

Go from under car - remove wheel, wheel well cover, and then remove those bolts from below... SO much easier, plus the alternator really only comes out from below, in my experience. Takes about 1 hour max to remove it.
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:11 pm

You beat me to it. Removing from the bottom is so much easier once you jack the car up. No need to remove the wheel though, just remove the plastic cover for the belts and it's easy access. The adjuster bolt and locking nut are easier from the top, but the pivot bolt and removing the alternator is easier from the bottom.

latief
2GN Member

Post by latief » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:30 pm

What about the wiring? I could not get to the rear ground wire. maybe if i had a lift, it would be easy...but on jack stands? i can't even see it !!!

thanks for the input thus far!!!

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:34 pm

Man you're making this out harder than it has to be. When I swapped my alt out a few years ago I did it in the Univeristy Residence parking lot in just over an hour. You can reach all the wiring from under the car, or if you're long and skinny or have good reach the top as well.

Pull the drivers side wheel, pull the splash shield and it's all right there. Hardest part was wiggling the alt out the top (PS cooler and lines got in the way from pulling it out the bottom when I did it).
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

latief
2GN Member

Post by latief » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:19 am

So i swapped this yesterday, but here is the deal. I could not get it our from the bottom, I somehow managed to get out of the top, but it was not easy..... how do you get it out from the bottom, seriously?

the black mounting bracket is in the way, was that supposed to come out also? their is simply no room....

latief
2GN Member

Post by latief » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:56 am

^^^^
Never mind, after reading the manual again, i realized that i should have removed the mounting bracket....

still it is doable from above as i did, but much more labor intensive......

Return to “Engine”