Can't See the Engine Coolant Level

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
sosilver
n00b

Can't See the Engine Coolant Level

Post by sosilver » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:34 am

After listening to my engine start sounding rougher and rougher over the past couple of months, I finally figured I needed engine coolant fast. Because I had to drive, I just grabbed a Prestone All Makes All Models 50/50 (color is a pale green) and poured some in. Car starts and sounds better already.

BUT, this morning I'm double checking to finish the fill and I can't even see the level of the liquid coolant through the white plastic of the engine coolant tank.

Does that mean my coolant level is so low, I just gotta keep adding till I finally will see the coolant liquid through the plastic? Or is it just really hard to see the coolant through the plastic? How can I tell when I've topped off with enough coolant?

Can anyone offer some basic practical advice on this?

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:40 am

The light green of the all makes all models coolant will be difficult to see. There are two lines on the tank. When the engine is cold you should fill it to the lower line. When the engine is hot then the coolant should be at the top line.

Sometimes shining a flashlight in the opening helps see where the level is.

moving to engine.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

sosilver
n00b

Post by sosilver » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:58 am

Thanks. What happened is I just had to watch carefully as I poured (used a funnel too) then I could see the coolant level moving and splashing and so I filled to about 1/4 inch over the ADD line.

My only flashlight is just about dead anyway.

Thanks again.

latief
2GN Member

Post by latief » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:14 am

Bounce the car, and you will see the coolant level....

that's what i do

silentneon01
2GN Member

Post by silentneon01 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:29 am

I use a flash light as well.
Big John

KrackstaR wrote: lol its like a religion and my business is to convert....lol :twisted:

kstevens91
2GN Member

Post by kstevens91 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:44 am

yea that is a pain in the ass to check without a flashlight or something lol

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:08 am

I found with mine I had to remove and clean the overflow reservoir because there was so much dirt in it.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:54 am

fixitmattman wrote:I found with mine I had to remove and clean the overflow reservoir because there was so much dirt in it.
:withstupid: That should be part of the cooling system maintenance when the sytem is flushed, and coolant replaced at the "scheduled" interval.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Paul56
2GN Member

Re: Can't See the Engine Coolant Level

Post by Paul56 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:29 pm

sosilver wrote:BUT, this morning I'm double checking to finish the fill and I can't even see the level of the liquid coolant through the white plastic of the engine coolant tank.
Agreed, it is difficult to see the level in the reservoir... even more so if the sun is shining.

Hold the neck of the filler with your fingers and gently shake the tank a bit... if you look at the reservoir you should see some movement that will point to where the level is.

If your coolant is disappearing rapidly you may want to start investigating where it is going... because that is not normal.
2011 Honda Fit Sport

aperson
2GN Member

Post by aperson » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:52 pm

I just take the flashlight I keep in my car and put it to the side of the reservoir and find the difference between where the fluid is and where it isn't.
kornholio788 wrote:Cops dont like it when you use their colors and make them blink on a regular basis.

neilsgarage
Fresh Fish

Post by neilsgarage » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:08 am

The coolant level may be low, the coolant reservoir may be opaque, or there may be a leak in the cooling system.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:24 pm

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Return to “Engine”