Help please

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
spoiledbrat
2GN Member

Help please

Post by spoiledbrat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:29 am

i need help,
coming home from work last night the car kept reving on the brakes and it kept wanting to go the tach held around 4grand, ( i have an atx) got home put in park and it kept at 4 grand, turned it off, turned it on still 4 grand, turned it off again let it sit turned it back on and it barely reached 500 and a horrible miss now, and it flashed a cell light, so i took a look at vacuum lines they are fine the throttle body is clean. pulled spark plugs the first plug had oil on the very bottom no oil in the tubes. the other 3 plugs were clean and dry so we took a very long screwdriver and put tape on it to see whats on the top of the pistons the first one had oil on it the other three were dry just typical carbon. so imwanting to know how severe the damage can be my husband had never seen rings fail so early in milage there are only 86000 miles on it. any other ideas that could be wrong or how much more damage to the engine that might have been done
thank you
shes my daily driver

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:19 am

Possibly all that is wrong is the IAC motor stuck wide open, and it sucked up enough oil that resides in our intake manifolds to foul the weakest plug. Remove the IAC (Silver thing on the TB) and clean it. Then replace the plugs, and go from there.
Also do the key dance to get the fault code. That will help. Possibly just a misfire code, but there may be more. If the IAC has taken a dump, you are looking at $100 + for a replacement.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Addicted2Boost
2GN Member

Post by Addicted2Boost » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:20 am

this happened to me i had gotton oil in the map sensor

spoiledbrat
2GN Member

Post by spoiledbrat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:46 am

thank you
im going to try those now and keep you posted