Help Me Figure Out How To Build My Engine

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Mopar65
2GN Member

Help Me Figure Out How To Build My Engine

Post by Mopar65 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:12 am

Hey guys Im looking for opinions, ideas, etc. on how to build up my engine. I have a 2003 SXT with the 2.0L SOHC engine. My performance mods are an AEM CAI and the R/T Dual exhaust rear section. I think Im putting out a hopeful 140 horses, but I want to kick that up anywhere from 50+ and beyond. Im not looking to turbo the car currently, but plan on it eventually so I need to build up my engine in pieces and correctly in order to handle the big turbo that I plan to set it up with in the future. My main question is then what the hell should I do to it so I can add 50+ horses now and build it so it can later handle a big turbo? I need a setup that is good for Daily driving, but can still raise some hell. I need opinions on what head to put on (SRT vs. R/T), Cams, Intake manifolds, Exhaust manifolds, internals, etc. Thanks for all the help and ideas. :thumbup:

dbesade
2GN Member

Re: Help Me Figure Out How To Build My Engine

Post by dbesade » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:33 pm

Mopar65 wrote:Hey guys Im looking for opinions, ideas, etc. on how to build up my engine. I have a 2003 SXT with the 2.0L SOHC engine. My performance mods are an AEM CAI and the R/T Dual exhaust rear section. I think Im putting out a hopeful 140 horses, but I want to kick that up anywhere from 50+ and beyond. Im not looking to turbo the car currently, but plan on it eventually so I need to build up my engine in pieces and correctly in order to handle the big turbo that I plan to set it up with in the future. My main question is then what the hell should I do to it so I can add 50+ horses now and build it so it can later handle a big turbo? I need a setup that is good for Daily driving, but can still raise some hell. I need opinions on what head to put on (SRT vs. R/T), Cams, Intake manifolds, Exhaust manifolds, internals, etc. Thanks for all the help and ideas. :thumbup:
1. Your probably putting down 125 to 130HP with those mods

2. If you are going to do a head swap you can only swap to an R/T Head as the SRT Head is DOHC and your Neon is SOHC. Physically the DOHC head will bolt up but the computer in your car won't really know what to do.

3. If you are inisting on using a DOHC Head then you will need MegaSquirt.

4. People on this forum have spent many 10s of thousands of dollars trying to reach the mythical 200WHP from the 2.0L Naturally Aspirated. If you want 180HP do a shot of NOS or build a turbo setup.

5. If you want to go turbo, do an SRT Swap its cheaper (search for threads on this. Yes. Its Cheaper).

Best of Luck to your endevours

-Dave
Project Log
2gn Feedback

1976 AMC/Jeep CJ7 w/304 CID V8
2005 Orange Blast Dodge Neon SRT-4 w/2.4T L4 Stage 2 w/Toys

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:04 pm

I can get you too 140 horses at the wheels...

Need:

1) Magnum head with comp 400 cam
2) Magnum intake
3) FastFabs LTH w/ 3" merge
4) RT Computer
5) UR UDP
6) AEM CAI
7) 2.5" exhaust in the straight pipe, no cat

Basically, what I had in my car before I did the rebuild and, port, polish, DOHC pistons....

:D 143
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

Mr Josh Zombie
2010 Platinum Contributor

Post by Mr Josh Zombie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:08 pm

You want speed? Go for a different platform, or turbo/srt swap. In which case, they're a ton of different threads in every section of this forum.

Generally, adding things to the neon motor just lightens your wallet and makes it sound a little cooler.

Poor Andrew put *does rough estimate* $600-$1,000 in his motor, got a few horises.

I put $500 and get 60 horsies. :D I tried the whole, bolt ons + neon thing. It was the biggest waste of money...ever.
Modify your Car • Modify your Body • Modify your Life

Mopar65
2GN Member

Post by Mopar65 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:06 pm

Ok then thanks for the help and SRT swap here I come

Return to “Engine”