need help

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
nicksdad06
2GN Member

need help

Post by nicksdad06 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:50 pm

so the family n i were cruising down the highway when all of the sudden my head gasket blows so i pull off and immediately turn the car off!!! well to get to where i am headed has anyone in the baltimore area replaced their head gasket succesfully and would mind coming out to help me with mine

all help would be greatly appreciated in all kinds of ways
dodge neon
Also known as a Piece-o-Shit, this car has to be the worst car ever made. Although it may look cool and have a great name, this car has many defects. Everything from gaping holes in the back floor panel, to missing interior, from failing clutches, to having the clear coat applied before the paint, this car takes the cake as the worlds worst idea of a car.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat May 01, 2010 11:42 pm

Do you have a garage? Hagan has done one, I haven't done one on a 2gn yet.

How many miles were on the car?
So many neons so little time.

Paul56
2GN Member

Post by Paul56 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:54 pm

There are different kinds of blown head gaskets.

I have experienced both kinds... external where the liquid escapes to the outside of the motor and internal where the coolant and oil mix.

The later is particularly nasty and a thorough flush of the cooling system is strongly recommended otherwise you will continue to see little blobs of white stuff floating around in the coolant which can freak you out after the job.

Mine is currently in the shop for an external coolant leak at the head gasket. I don't have the tools, time or knowledge for that job.
2011 Honda Fit Sport

randomZERO
2GN Member

Post by randomZERO » Sun May 02, 2010 1:14 am

He has the oil/coolant mix.

viewtopic.php?t=33260<<<<<Pics & Mods

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun May 02, 2010 10:55 am

invujerry wrote: I haven't done one on a 2gn yet.

How many miles were on the car?
There is prolly very little difference between them.

In a nut shell, it is going to be like doing a timing belt change, but removing the head also. I think the exhaust manifold can be left on, but it might be easier to just remove the manifolds, so positioning the head back on is easier. You will need to get the mating surfaces clean also. May want to check it for warpage too.

Do it as right as you can. You don't want to be stranded somewhere inconvenient with your family. That and a tow bill from hell.
Bill
Probably shouldn't listen to anything your penis says, that guy's a dick.
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

Napaboy
2GN Member

Post by Napaboy » Sun May 02, 2010 1:19 pm

its probly cheaper to pick up a new engine at an autowrecker.... cuz by the time you get a decent upper end kit and a set of head bolts... your already well over the price of a engine from an auto wrecker

NAPA BOY

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun May 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Locally, it's about $185 for a engine from a wrecked car, with unknown miles, in an unknown condition. I'm sure knowing the head/block are good, with a new t-belt, hg, and waterpump, would be much better off.
So many neons so little time.

nicksdad06
2GN Member

Post by nicksdad06 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:05 pm

hey guys my head gasket problem is internal and external but i found a shop to do it for 800 including putting my timing belt water pump and tensioner on at same time. wish i had the money i would go ahead with a cam and underdrive pulley and some pnp work. but oh well the neon will be back on the road yay. gonna see how much it would be to have a new motor put in too just incase but will see when they pull apart the head as to what i am gonna do!!!!!
dodge neon
Also known as a Piece-o-Shit, this car has to be the worst car ever made. Although it may look cool and have a great name, this car has many defects. Everything from gaping holes in the back floor panel, to missing interior, from failing clutches, to having the clear coat applied before the paint, this car takes the cake as the worlds worst idea of a car.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:12 pm

Plus you would have to find an 03+ which may be a little more difficult.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

nicksdad06
2GN Member

Post by nicksdad06 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:46 pm

yeah gonna get everything all fixed then put on my new wheels yay!!!!!!!
dodge neon

Return to “Engine”