egine wine ?

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
neon god
2GN Member

egine wine ?

Post by neon god » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:18 pm

:?: ok hear is the deal when i accelarate my engine has a wine to it also it does it when i rev the engine any ideas what this is? or is this normal for neons, its coming it sounds like from the drivers side of the engine bay.any help would be appreciated.
oo neon carbonfiber hood ,homemade short shifter,ractive cia,and a wife with a ricer :(

refect
2GN Member

Post by refect » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:53 pm

your not talkin about the wine the tranny makes when you accelerate and stuff are you?
-Brad

Frizbe
2GN Member

Post by Frizbe » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:10 am

Does adjusting the angle of the throttle change the pitch of the wine?

Also if it's comming from the drivers side 99% chance it's the throttle body.
Justin- I have nothing but smart ass remarks to add.
:-s
Fire_Hippo wrote:Frizbe, you rock my socks.
- Jeff's girlfriend

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:14 am

*putting wine glasses away*.... uh, yeah

:lol:
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:52 am

First: is your car a MTX or an ATX?
Second: Start the car, pop your hood, open the hood and listen to where its coming from....

Drivers side:
MTX - low fluid or throwout bearing
ATX - your in trouble, possibly TQ converter going bad...

Pass side:
Rear of engine: Alt is going....
Front of engine: either the PS pump or the Serpentine belt tensioner..

My car had what I thought was a bad PS pump noise so I had it replaced and the noise was still there. So I picked up a Non-AC serp belt to install to see if the AC unit was going bad, and the noise was still there!
Come to find out that the tensioners pulley was bad(bearing). According to DCx, its a 2.5hr job to change it because the tensioner comes with the whole mounting bracket! wich sucks, but its covered under my powertrain warranty...thank god!

half_twisted
2GN Member

Post by half_twisted » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:52 pm

BlackRoseRacing wrote:First: is your car a MTX or an ATX?
Second: Start the car, pop your hood, open the hood and listen to where its coming from....

Drivers side:
MTX - low fluid or throwout bearing
ATX - your in trouble, possibly TQ converter going bad...

Pass side:
Rear of engine: Alt is going....
Front of engine: either the PS pump or the Serpentine belt tensioner..

My car had what I thought was a bad PS pump noise so I had it replaced and the noise was still there. So I picked up a Non-AC serp belt to install to see if the AC unit was going bad, and the noise was still there!
Come to find out that the tensioners pulley was bad(bearing). According to DCx, its a 2.5hr job to change it because the tensioner comes with the whole mounting bracket! wich sucks, but its covered under my powertrain warranty...thank god!
wait its covered by the powertrain warranty. under how many miles, i think thats the missing link to my troubles.. ive been trying to trace a similar sound but cant point it out.
i have a 00 93k miles, atx

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:03 pm

PM me your VIN, i'll tell you if you have any coverage.... :wink:

wickedneonrt
2GN Member

Post by wickedneonrt » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:29 pm

hey man this is a little late but one question if you havent figured your noise out yet. Do you have an aftermarket radio. Lots of people good ground loop noise by installing there aftermarket radio, to the stock radio ground. I get those all the time at work.
pcm's do more in ten minutes then most people do all day

Ifixyawata
2GN Member

Post by Ifixyawata » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:15 am

My car, since it's had 79 miles has had a whine sound that corresponds directly with the engine RPM. I figured it was some belt-driven accessory making noise. I know it's not the transmission, as it does it on free revving too. I have to assume it's normal being the car has done it since new.

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:11 pm

You don't have a supercharger by chance, do ya? Hmmmm....NOPE!
-Brodie
2002 Dodge Neon ACR - Needs LOTS of love, but I'm gonna slowly get her to where she deserves to be :)

03sxt
Former Jr. Admin

Post by 03sxt » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:59 pm

Ifixyawata wrote:My car, since it's had 79 miles has had a whine sound that corresponds directly with the engine RPM. I figured it was some belt-driven accessory making noise. I know it's not the transmission, as it does it on free revving too. I have to assume it's normal being the car has done it since new.
Mine makes like a whining whizzing noise inside the car, kinda' from the passenger side under the dash. I like the sound. :) Reminds me alot of a supercharger. It's done it since I got the car, hasn't gotten and worse so I'm assuming it's normal, as well. :) Kinda' startled me the first time I floored it, though. :)

wickedneonrt
2GN Member

Post by wickedneonrt » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:06 pm

mine always makes a whining noise in my 01 r/t and 05 sxt. I narrowed it down to the wife in the passenger seat
pcm's do more in ten minutes then most people do all day

03sxt
Former Jr. Admin

Post by 03sxt » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:24 am

wickedneonrt wrote:mine always makes a whining noise in my 01 r/t and 05 sxt. I narrowed it down to the wife in the passenger seat
:laughing3: :laughing3:

Return to “Engine”