1gn TB plate Sticking w/ Halfshaft mod

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
djbjammin814
2GN Member

1gn TB plate Sticking w/ Halfshaft mod

Post by djbjammin814 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:58 pm

I decided to do the halfshaft, and 1gn TB plate mod/switch. I got a free TB for the project, and its out of an ATX 00-02. The car its gone into, is an MTX 02 ACR. With the mods done, i installed and found that the gas pedal would stick, then let go with pretty bad. The pedal also would get soft after half way open. I fiddled with the adj. screw, but it wouldnt help very much. I did cut/shave/bore the TB on both ends. I did notice that the original TB looks to have a thicker spring. Is that one of the diffs between the ATX and MTX? Well i pulled it and gave the ATX spring a whole nuther turn. It stiffened up, but way too much. It made it just about undriveable. Anyone have any tips too get this mod working more smooth. It gives the motor an on/off kind of feel, no play at all. It feels like it would be great for the track at the1/4 mile, but i would like to have it be more street friendly. Also, i swapped the injectors with 2.4 stratus injectors when i did the TB. And i did search the subject here. HELP!
2002 Neon ACR-MTX-Stock other than a CAI. 2005 Neon SXT-MTX-AEM CAI,K&N Filter,INDY Intake(shaped&polished),Pacesetter Ex. Man.(DEI wraped&sprayed),Magnaflow HF Cat.,Mopar Dual Ex.,UDP,JET Chip(stage2)2.4 stratus Injectors,MSD Coil,Mopar F&R STB,OBX s.t.shifter,Redline Water Wetter,AMSoil,ALTEZZA Tail Lights.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon May 16, 2011 10:30 pm

No need for the larger injectors. I am running a 60mm TB with stock injectors, so I'm sure they can handle the half shaft/1gn throttle plate.(unless you plan on running E85)

If the spring can be removed from the TB before tightening the screws...
You may need to make the screw holes a touch larger. Leave the screws a little loose and remove the return spring. Close the throttle plate, so it squares up in the bore. Use some blue threadlocker to secure the screws. Then tighten the screws. it should move freely throughout the range if everything else is correct. Re install the spring. Otherwise you are fighting the spring trying to get it lined up perfectly. The bore, you should have left alone. There is a flow enhancing coating on there from the factory.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

djbjammin814
2GN Member

Post by djbjammin814 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:54 am

Cant remove the spring, and install the plate without the spring in there. U know what i mean? I did try and center the plate as best as i could. When i did the bore, i may have got too close to the contact point of the plate... I tried to smooth out those contact points with 600 grit sandpaper where i couldnt see light not coming through. I have had it off three times now to reajust, and seems to not stick when off the car. But when the vac. is applied, when the engine is on... suck-stuck-then gives way with a jump. Makes me feel like ive never driven a standard before... Could the throtle cable conection point on the TB shaft be the problem. It is diffrent and doesnt fit the same as the MTX. My ACR has cruise control also. And Thanks for your help...
2002 Neon ACR-MTX-Stock other than a CAI. 2005 Neon SXT-MTX-AEM CAI,K&N Filter,INDY Intake(shaped&polished),Pacesetter Ex. Man.(DEI wraped&sprayed),Magnaflow HF Cat.,Mopar Dual Ex.,UDP,JET Chip(stage2)2.4 stratus Injectors,MSD Coil,Mopar F&R STB,OBX s.t.shifter,Redline Water Wetter,AMSoil,ALTEZZA Tail Lights.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue May 17, 2011 11:11 am

djbjammin814 wrote:My ACR has cruise control also.
Not really on topic, but did you add cruise to the ACR?
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

djbjammin814
2GN Member

Post by djbjammin814 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:15 pm

My ACR was first sold new in flordia. So i have been told that either it was special ordered with most of the options. Or it sat at the dealership because it didnt have A/C , Cruise Control, Fog Lights, Radio. Im not sure what the base options were for the 2002 ACRs. But i do know they didnt have A/C or the CC. Correct me if im wrong... :slap:

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue May 17, 2011 2:57 pm

The two option groups were base (no A/C or radio), or with A/C, radio, and power locks with remote entry. Floor mats could be added as well. Fog lamps were not an option for ACRs.

I suppose cruise could be added, but I didn't think that was on the option sheet. Then again, I have seen (and ordered) stranger things :lol:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue May 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Why not half shaft the MTX throttle shaft, and use it so the cable pullys are correct? The TB is not ACR specific, so it isn't like you are messing with a rare part. The MTX TB is basically the same as the '02 and up TB's for all neons. The 41/40 te ATX TB's need no kickdown/throttle valve cable. (['02 to '05], your extra TB was from an '00-'01 btw)

Not really sure what the difference is from '02 to '03 they have two different pn's listed.
ATX: 4891278AC
MTX: 4891375AC

In '04 there was no different TB for either: The MTX TB was used for all. 4891375AC

In '05 the number changed again, but no difference between ATX and MTX. 4891375AF
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

djbjammin814
2GN Member

Post by djbjammin814 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:59 pm

I could mod the MTX that was in the car. But i took the smart route, got the extra ATX to modify, and see what the outcome was. Without ruining the original. That way if i F*^ked it up i could swap back. I will have to make another yard run and find an 03 to 05 TB

When i bought my ACR it did have floor mats, power locks, remote entry, fog lights, A/C, cruise, air bags, glove box trunk release, hammerhead spoiler, radio cd, and four creaking strut mounts....

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed May 18, 2011 8:21 am

Just curious...does your VIN start with 1B3ES66 ?

djbjammin814
2GN Member

Post by djbjammin814 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:46 am

Yes. The vin starts 1B3ES66 To the 'F' . Why?

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed May 18, 2011 8:51 am

With the options you listed, I had a sneaking feeling that your car may have been an R/T. But the "6" in the sixth position confirms the ACR IIRC.

djbjammin814
2GN Member

Post by djbjammin814 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:02 am

O. Theirs no doubt its an ACR. It has the comp adj struts on it. Even after 178 thousand miles. Those struts kick ass, take an ass kicking, and then wants more. I wish i had a set for my sxt.

Return to “Engine”