RETURN OF MPX 2GN 60MM TB!

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
TheComeBackidd
2GN Member

Post by TheComeBackidd » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:19 pm

i always wanted one..and im hopefully getting an amm intake so that would work perfect together with that..COUNT ME IN!! BRING IT ON MP!!

NiteHawk
2GN Member

Post by NiteHawk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:28 pm

seeing so many people say they wanna pay under $200 bring an old saying to mind....

Cheap. Fast. Reliable...... You can pick 2.
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

Fuel systems turbo kits and components, tuning, performance parts. Contact us for all of your performance needs.

haseebgill12
2GN Member

Post by haseebgill12 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:18 pm

looking back over the thread we have AT LEAST 10 people who are willing to purchase or are seriously interested if the TB was available again (ofcourse subject to price). If we get another 10/15 people, i dont think MP would have any choice :)
Get everyone on this guys!!
Haseeb

BillyMike
2GN Member

Post by BillyMike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:30 pm

haseebgill12 wrote:No Billy, it would be great if everyone spreads the word on there aswell.
Well I did and I got a responce from modern

Quote : Modern Performance We need a sizeable crowd of 00-05 Neon owners petitioning outside our shop with money in hand. Hehe. We'd love to do another run, just have to see a good amount of interest.

So start posting up boys and girls

BillyMike
03 Neon R/T Untuned
Central Texas

haseebgill12
2GN Member

Post by haseebgill12 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Nice one Billy, the way things are going are very promising. If any one knows someone who knows someone who knows someone etc. who owns a neon then let them know that this thread is running.
Haseeb

NiteHawk
2GN Member

Post by NiteHawk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:05 pm

haseebgill12 wrote:looking back over the thread we have AT LEAST 10 people who are willing to purchase or are seriously interested if the TB was available again (ofcourse subject to price). If we get another 10/15 people, i dont think MP would have any choice :)
Get everyone on this guys!!
You dont know too much about machine work i take it?

Having a shop take a solid block of any metal, and machine it down on a CNC is not cheap by any means.

to say they wouldnt have a choice with 10-15 people interested is very incorrect... look at erick and his manifolds.....even at 10 orders he's still out money or barely breaking even on the deal...

now i'm in no way speaking for modern performance, cory haines, or anyone else in his company, but 10-15 people who are only interested wouldn't be enough to make ME make another run......25-30 who pay up front for it maybe... but when he has to do batches of 50 at a time........the likelyhood of enough people banding together to get a run going is slim to none...

that's why i stopped doing my led lights.......demand got so low that making more was pointless because they would just be sitting around for a long time, which is basically what happened with the MPx throttle bodies the first time...

under $200 is a great price point.........but realistically not very possible.

there's also this: viewtopic.php?t=47099
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

Fuel systems turbo kits and components, tuning, performance parts. Contact us for all of your performance needs.

haseebgill12
2GN Member

Post by haseebgill12 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:20 pm

With all due respect you should read my post again i said "another" 10/15 which in addition to the previous 10 would amount to around 25. I am infact familiar with machine work, as i am an Electrical & Mechanical Engineering student. In regards to them "having no choice" that was a playful comment, hence the smiley face. I didnt think anyone would actualy take it seriously. By no means am i trying to "mis-inform" anyone, i was just trying to be optimistic. :)
Last edited by haseebgill12 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haseeb

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:38 pm

They could be cast, to save material cost, but a mold would still need to be made, and machining still needed. You don't want something that is cheap quality and looks either. Or there could be the option of you cleaning the casting flash on the exterior yourself to save $20. Or if turning it down from a block, have options of non anodized/polish it yourself. Just with a disclaimer that you understand it will need upkeep to keep corrosion at bay.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

haseebgill12
2GN Member

Post by haseebgill12 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:50 pm

bump
Haseeb

mwenzlick
2GN Member

Post by mwenzlick » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:26 pm

BUMP... With serious interest.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:40 am

Bah, "Bump with money sent" would make Modern even happier....

:lol:
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:57 am

We should start a discussion with Modern, and see if they will be accepting deposits, then. :)

Cory did something similar, with the last Quaife 'group buy' they did on 'The.Org' recently.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

NiteHawk
2GN Member

Post by NiteHawk » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:14 pm

i was in said group buy... that's a slightly different scenario though...

the Quaife LSD and the AEM cam gears came back because modern fronted enough units to make it worth the respective manufacturers while to make the batch...
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

haseebgill12
2GN Member

Post by haseebgill12 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:47 pm

I am going to report back to them on how the 2gn community feel. As well as providing a link to this discussion, so we will see what MP have to say...
Haseeb

NiteHawk
2GN Member

Post by NiteHawk » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:40 am

I already beat you to it... I told Cory about this thread the day it started.
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

DodgeEvo
2GN Member

Post by DodgeEvo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:19 am

Hey Guys, I contacted Modern Performance about the throttle body and this what they said :quotes:
(We had problems with the 05 Neon model for some reason. I think we were getting check engine codes with the 05’s and that’s why we only made them for the 00-04’s.

We’d definitely like to bring them back, but we’d have to find a way to make them cheaper, and build a low volume production run. Its tough to do.) So lets kept the post going.

haseebgill12
2GN Member

Post by haseebgill12 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:38 pm

bump
Haseeb

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:45 pm

DodgeEvo wrote:Hey Guys, I contacted Modern Performance about the throttle body and this what they said
(We had problems with the 05 Neon model for some reason. I think we were getting check engine codes with the 05’s and that’s why we only made them for the 00-04’s.

We’d definitely like to bring them back, but we’d have to find a way to make them cheaper, and build a low volume production run. Its tough to do.) So lets kept the post going.

And here is the fix....it's not even hard. They used to use a completely symetrical cam, it was literally just a half circle. 180 degree arc. It's not hard to change that, but it means actually doing a little R&D instead of bolting half a piece of round billet on there. But R&D costs money, so the whole thing is a catch-22. They COULD make the throttle body compatible with all years, and make it better overall in the process of doing so....but they wouldn't be able to make it cheaper at the same time.

esteinmaier wrote:For me to think it's a good bolt-on, they would just have to adjust the shape of the throttle cam to more closely resemble the stock air flows. So it would need to be less rotation than stock at the first 30% or more and then really crank open the rest of the way above 80%. I'm pretty sure that's why people have had trouble with them. And if they didn't cause the CELs, they would open up a whole new market.
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

NiteHawk
2GN Member

Post by NiteHawk » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:10 pm

that's only part of the problem...

the other problem is that when you have a larger bore, the engine wont see the same vac level vs stock... thats why some users got map/tps correlation codes...
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

gtxtreme19
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by gtxtreme19 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a TB/intake combo setup similar to the 1gn design with the TB mounted to the intake but, I know that's probably more work than is really feasible
-Mike
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:Gramps, get a GPS.
Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. :D

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:05 pm

WIth a plastic manifold that adds a couple steps of having threaded inserts to screw into. More hassle than it's worth, imo.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:36 pm

gtxtreme19 wrote:Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a TB/intake combo setup similar to the 1gn design with the TB mounted to the intake but, I know that's probably more work than is really feasible
racer12306 wrote:WIth a plastic manifold that adds a couple steps of having threaded inserts to screw into. More hassle than it's worth, imo.
A flange/sleeve could be glued to the stock plastic IM, but the new TB location/angle might be a bit of a pain with the cables. Even with my ghetto IM it was a bit tricky getting it clocked to clear everything, and I used a non neon Speed Control cable to make the cruise happier...

Plus you will still be stuck with the bottle neck at the IM inlet.
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

03blackrt
2GN Member

Post by 03blackrt » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:00 pm

quicksilvr wrote:
DodgeEvo wrote:Hey Guys, I contacted Modern Performance about the throttle body and this what they said

And here is the fix....it's not even hard. They used to use a completely symetrical cam, it was literally just a half circle. 180 degree arc. It's not hard to change that, but it means actually doing a little R&D instead of bolting half a piece of round billet on there. But R&D costs money, so the whole thing is a catch-22. They COULD make the throttle body compatible with all years, and make it better overall in the process of doing so....but they wouldn't be able to make it cheaper at the same time.

esteinmaier wrote:For me to think it's a good bolt-on, they would just have to adjust the shape of the throttle cam to more closely resemble the stock air flows. So it would need to be less rotation than stock at the first 30% or more and then really crank open the rest of the way above 80%. I'm pretty sure that's why people have had trouble with them. And if they didn't cause the CELs, they would open up a whole new market.

This won't fix anything in relation to the electronics/codes. The TPS position is still fixed to the throttle plate position, so the MAP/TPS correlation is the same.

I you look at a stock TB it has about 80deg of throttle plate rotation, the MPX TB has about 90deg of rotation. IMO, the computer sees this extra rotation and thinks something is wrong. Some years the PCM programing cares, other years it doesn't. I think this is the problem.

NiteHawk
2GN Member

Post by NiteHawk » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:02 am

actually, stockers open 90degrees too...

the reason the different shape causes a code is because the stocker doesnt open as fast as the mpx unit...

that, coupled with the diameter difference in the TB bore, much more air than normal goes into the motor than it expects.....causing the map/tps correlation error.
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:16 am

This is a fantastic part! Being one of the first, if not the first to get my hands on one to test when they came out, the TB is simply amazing. It'd be great to see them come back into production. I hope everyone can drum up enough purchasers to see it happen.

viewtopic.php?t=757
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

haseebgill12
2GN Member

Post by haseebgill12 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:18 am

bump
Haseeb

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:55 am

I'm in.
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:58 am

Haganracing wrote:I'm in.
Says the guy without a running Neon. :lol:
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

haseebgill12
2GN Member

Post by haseebgill12 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:05 pm

lol running or not hes in!.....
Haseeb

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:58 pm

Just an observatory note, I know I've done this as well as pretty much everyone else. . . posting that "you're in" doesn't mean jack to someone who's looking to produce these. Even if EVERY single person who posted in here already paid, that's not enough interest for them to produce a batch. Why's that? We'll see the same thing we saw last time they posted their last few for sale . . . everyone was like "nooo!!!" but no one bothered to fork the cash to buy them. Think they'll be cheaper this time around? Again, doubtful, ESPECIALLY since manufacturers are already hesitant not only with code problems but the community as a whole here with purchasing "big $$" items.

My $.02 really. I was about to post "interested!" but that's because that's all I am. I'd never buy one when it came down to it because that's a large chunk of money for many of us it seems. Plus it screws over anyone who bought a used one lately thinking it was discontinued, and it ruins CERTAIN people's FS threads because everyone wants $900 for $150 pieces of equipment NEW. I know that's just luck or whatever and there isn't anything we can do about it, but knowing a majority of the members here, I can see how this would go pretty quicky.

Back to your mechanical discussion. . .
el. oh. el.

Return to “Engine”