comp400 cam installed, valve noise?!?!?!?!

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
vntned
2GN Member

comp400 cam installed, valve noise?!?!?!?!

Post by vntned » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:41 am

So I took my 96,XXXmile '03 R/T(only mods were AEM cai and mm inserts)and added a Comp400 cam with new cam seals, Gates Timing belt, PCI tensioner, new water pump and an MPx UDP yesterday. It fired right up no problem, no codes, no leaks and it seems to pull alright.

However, since initial startup there is significantly more valve train noise! Cilickity clickity.

And Im not sure if its in relation to the cam but the intake is wicked loud when the secondaries open up now.

At first the car felt sluggish and wierd, but after having put nearly 60miles on it its beginning to pull better and better.

So why is the valvetrain noisy and how long til the computer is done relearning this new cam?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:57 am

The spacers in between the rockers may need pushed one way or another. If there is too much clearance the rocker will slap back and forth against the spacer. There is a write up about getting them a bit tighter, but it was in the 1gn days. On my '01 rocker assy's, I couldn't really change the position much. They may have made the holes tighter for the rocker shaft bolts.

The other item that may be causing the noise is worn valve guides. The higher lift will let the valves move more in the guides. Kind of like a longer stick in a loose hole: The ends will travel farther.

I would remove the VC and check the side to side movement of the rockers first. You may need to enlarge the bolt hole in the hold down spacers and move them inward to center to reduce the clearance on the rockers. Just don't make them too snug. You need to get oil in there.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:11 pm

occasional demons wrote:The spacers in between the rockers may need pushed one way or another. If there is too much clearance the rocker will slap back and forth against the spacer. There is a write up about getting them a bit tighter, but it was in the 1gn days. On my '01 rocker assy's, I couldn't really change the position much. They may have made the holes tighter for the rocker shaft bolts.
I, too, remember someone making a write-up about that, somewhere. :-k
I can't remember if it was posted up here, or on 'The.Org'.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:45 am

vntned wrote:Yay got rid of the valvetrain noise. Turns out I had turned the exhaust side rocker shaft 180degrees upside down. Way better now. Cam pulls way better too.
occasional demons wrote:Ouch. Hopefully the lack of oil didn't do too much damage.
Edit: I guess I didn't consider that possibility. Maybe if I had heard how bad it sounded in person, but yes always check the oiling hole positions. There is a notch too, that shows the correct orientation.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:53 am

could always swap out the rockers too to see if that helps. the lifters can go bad from time to time.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

Return to “Engine”