Im Next to join the Hydrolocked my neon club

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
akirony
2GN Member

Im Next to join the Hydrolocked my neon club

Post by akirony » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:35 am

Well I lost 20 bucks on the mayweather Ortiz fight and the guy was getting real impatient. Iask my mom if shell let me out of the drive way and she says no, then we argue about why and how its lightning outside, but I get it moved. So Im cruising up I-35 just looking at the flashes in the sky, when just a few drops start hitting my windshield. (wipers on :thumbup: ) Ok im good for another 20 secs then the sky just fell. No visibility more than 5 feet cause the wipers couldnt work fast enough. So some cars slow to a crawl to keep from dying. I put on my hazards and crawled through for about a mile til it slightly let up. I pull away from the crowd and then I seen a freaking lake in the middle of the fwy. I try to swerve to the shallowest part in the middle but even that was over a ft deep. Go through then my car dies, in the middle of a 5 lane freeway. So now im stuck and Im like its cool maybe no major water got in, but it still wouldnt even turn over so Im thinking that saved me some damage. I sit there for about 30mins until a family in an explorer pushed me off the freeway into a parking lot. Its through I say, but they say the starter just got wet and to let it dry out. They didnt know I had a CAI in my front bumper :slap: . Im screwed :banghead: :cussing: :banghead: :cussing: :banghead: :cussing: :banghead: :cussing: I read to remove the plugs, crank it, and spray some WD40 in. I planned on putting 1500 dwn on an srt4 but I need this to get to work to pay for it. What am I gonna do? :pukeleft: :pukeright:
Have car-have car problems. Have srt4-have speed problems

Mat00ES
2GN Member

Post by Mat00ES » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:53 am

Pull the plugs, put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders. Leave the plugs out and turn in over a few times to push out the water. Take your time, I put my car up to the windshield in a puddle and its still going.
Dirty Daily Status
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000011

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:05 am

I would put the oil in after pushing any water out. :lol:

Also remove the bellows from the IM before cranking, to drain any water that may be in the IM.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:10 am

Im gonna try every piece of known wisdom I can find ....later on. Since all of my tools are at work (27miles away) and my cars in an abandoned parking lot (10 miles away). I cant get my check today since I called in with an H2O injestion malfunction :tardbang: . Im gonna be :banghead: all day.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:21 am

Take a change of oil and filter too. You may want to pull the drain plug long enough to let any water, that may have leaked past the rings, drain out before cranking at the least. No need to have that circulating.
Just don't let it sit too long, you don't want the rings rusting to the cylinder walls. :lol:
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:47 am

Well IDK. I found an VIN F engine for 450. And since I almost bought the head awhile back when I got the manifold from a J/Y I figured i'd kill two roaches wit one shoe. I need a motor now and I could use a back up project motor so I can try to reteach my self what I learned but never used at tech school

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:34 pm

As long as the VIN F is a 2003/2004, you're good to go. :thumbup:
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:17 pm

Is there a quiz on this story problem? I think I can identify what information is not required for the solution.
el. oh. el.

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:18 pm

Its an 03 too. Ive been on here since 6am looking at things when I found zerochad's hydrolock log. I'd love to do that but my check is only gonna be like 330 this wk. I dnt think my fam is gonna take too kindly to being a taxi for more than two wks, so thats why Im planning on this engine swap. Also I was looking at one very old post from OB about the differences between the rt/sxt pcm. And I was thinking that if I saved and got MS would I be able to get the same amount of performance as a stock r/t? I wish I had the money but since im not with a bank I cnt get a loan, and the whole title loan is out the window.

darthroush
2GN Member

Post by darthroush » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:11 pm

You need a motor now? Did you try any of the above methods yet to see if your current engine is still savable? Last time I checked, removing the spark plugs didn't require $400 and a bunch of labor...

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:32 pm

Well Im gonna try to tow it home in a few mins then i can get to work on it, but im gonna try to get the motor just in case yaknow. And Im pretty mechanically knowledgeable, but this is my first hydrolock and my second motor (if Ive blown it). I work at a Mazda and I have lots of mastertechs to go to for advice. I have friends and drinks so labor is out the window

BoostinBen
2GN Member

Post by BoostinBen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:39 pm

This is why I just run a small K&N filter on the coldside of the 3582R and got rid of running an actual "intake" all-together. It can get quite rainy here in Ohio and unless I drive into 5' of water, none is going in the turbo at all.
'03 SRT-4 = 516 whp courtesy of Wiseco, Crower, DCR, AGP and TDS.

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Well I got it to the house after 150 in towing fees. I tried to flush the water out but it wouldnt crank at all. No turning watsoever. So I started taking it apart while waiting for the tow truck and found like 5 cups of water in my mag IM and it already had mixed with the oil. With the intake and exhuast off I tried to crank it again but the motor wouldnt budge. I kinda knew this was gonna happen.
Anyone know how much itd be to rent an engine hoist for a couple of hours?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:52 pm

You did take the spark plugs out didn't you? Is the starter making any sound at all? You can always spin it by the crank pulley bolt, but it won't be fast enough to expel the water in the cylinders.

If the starter is making an effort, but not turning, and it won't turn either way via the crank pulley bolt, then I would say it is toast. If it does turn by hand, things may not be as bad as it looks.
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:25 pm

The starter was trying to spin it, but it didnt even make one revolution. I took it off and it looked ok(teeth still intact) but had a crap load of what looked like dried oil built up in the casing. Idk about that since I tend to shy away from starters. Gonna try to spin the crank by hand when im done eating.

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Yeah the crank was going nowhere. And I dnt think it was my small girly arms either since I had a 300lb guy try to spin it and almost dislocated his shoulder. So Im gonna go the cheaper and easier (for me) route and just get a new motor then I can just connect it with a new trans that has been calling my cars name for some time. RAMEN-NOODLES ERRRDAY NOW

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Next time:

A: Don't bet against Floyd.

B: Mail the check.

C: Listen to your Mom.

:rofl:
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:14 am

Yeah that is duely noted

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:24 am

And just to make sure...you did have all of the spark plugs removed before trying to turn the crank, yes?
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:41 pm

:lol:

You also noticed he didn't answer that?
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Yep :lol:

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:20 pm

yeah sorry bout that but that was the first thing ii did when I got to my car ( :quotes: remove spark plugs). Then I removed the intake and exhuast and tried to crank it. then the valve cover and tried cranking it. I had a nother car hooked to cables supplying the power as my batt was dead. But yes I did

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Good deal, just wanted to make sure. Sucks to hear :(

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Prolly got a rod pretzel in there.

Just for general reference, always turn it over by hand before using the starter, to minimize any further damage, if you have plans of salvaging as much as possible. If it hits a tough spot by hand, you know not to use the starter...
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Yeah Thanks again guys even though it was already toast, still your help was very appreciated

NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:13 pm

sorry man! sucks
-Sean
Official "I'm driving my neon till' it dies #28

BLK 03' NEON SXT 150,000 MILES

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:29 pm

Good thing you live in dallas, there is no shortage of used engines locally. There are at least 20 vin C engines within 30 miles, and that's only 03 engines.

Return to “Engine”