AC question

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Mckilla
2GN Member

AC question

Post by Mckilla » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:05 am

When i turn the ac on in my 00 neon, the car starts to shake real loud when idle. Does anybody know why this is and how to stop it. Its real annoying to hear when idle, doesn't happen when driving.

dvon17
2GN Member

Post by dvon17 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:26 am

it's called "bogging". So I've heard.

The A/C compressors puts a minor strain on the motor, making it work harder than normal. Have you noticed that your motor loses a little power at take off when the A/C is on?

That's why people always say "you burn more gas with the a/c on..."

I drive a lot slower when it's on and I actually save gas haha.

But, yea...that's all. unless it's shaking louder than I think it is then idk what to tell you. Someone else will be here soon though.
2003 SRT-4 :D

:glasses4:
NEON PARABOLA wrote:you deserve respect dammit! you drive a neon!
"Cause even though you left me here, I have nothing left to fear. These are only walls that hold me here..."

RawkBunny
2GN Member

Post by RawkBunny » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:24 am

LOL mine does too. I thought all neons did this?
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #116

dvon17
2GN Member

Post by dvon17 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:31 am

They do. Sometimes, I don't think they were made for a/c lol.
2003 SRT-4 :D

:glasses4:
NEON PARABOLA wrote:you deserve respect dammit! you drive a neon!
"Cause even though you left me here, I have nothing left to fear. These are only walls that hold me here..."

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:45 pm

UDP helps bog less but yeah its normal. are you using stock or aftermarket engine mounts OP?
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

Mckilla
2GN Member

Post by Mckilla » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:18 pm

aftermarket.. i never really noticed power loss at that.. There might be but its very minimal.. The shaking isnt even that bad, its just the shaking of the steering wheel that causes a real loud annoying noise.. I usually just have to hold it to stop the noise.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:33 pm

yeah with aftermarket mounts there's nothing you can do about the shake
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:41 pm

Even with oem mounts it can get pretty violent inside the car.

Outside temps, the charge level, all have an effect on how much effort the engine needs to turn the pump.

For w/e reason they did not engineer enough IAC movement to compensate. I guess with an ATX, it could be a problem, but the PCM also knows when the A/C clutch is energized. The PCM is what switches it.

When it is above 85º F, mine will not run the compressor at idle, until it has been driven. Once it will run it, the steering wheel shakes up and down literally inches. It won't idle above 500 RPM either. A simple tweak of the IAC would have cured this. If I push the gas pedal to get it to 900 to 1000 RPM, it is nice and smooth.

I have seriously considered wiring a relay to the A/C clutch coil, to operate a solenoid valve, to let more air in when the compressor is running. The trick is you will need a TPS switch, so you don't get a boost in throttle at speed. That could get annoying too.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Engine”