looking for a particular headgasket

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
gearbanger4
2GN Member

looking for a particular headgasket

Post by gearbanger4 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Does anyone know where I can find a headgasket that is specifically made for a .040 over bored block?

Also, if there are any recommendations as far as using a thinner headgasket to raise compression further (along with higher compression pistons, milling the head etc).
2004 Dodge Neon SXT 5 speed - DD
2002 Dodge Neon ACR

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:49 pm

If you are milling the head, just mill off what ever you think you can get with a thinner gasket. Yes the inner layers have been removed to make the gasket thinner, but if you are milling the head anyways, why sacrifice some reliability/integrity of the gasket.

As for .020" per side, I doubt you will see a problem with the oem spec bore in the gasket.

Edit: If you are worried about the head, a 2.0 head was milled 0.070" on the other .org, without any issues. But that was with near stock pistons IIRC, so you may have a problem if you try that with a high dome piston.

The best way is to just get pistons at the C.R. you want to begin with.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

gearbanger4
2GN Member

Post by gearbanger4 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:34 am

thanks for the input

BTW, I did find A headgasket with 90mm bore, but it is very expensive!
http://www.raceeng.com/p-8808-phuzion-g ... 51-ea.aspx

to add a little more to my specific build.

I already have the 10.5 drop in .040 over JE pistons. Instead of selling them to purchase 12.5 pistons, I was looking to just get as close as possible to 12-13 to 1 CR using the pistons I already have (which apparently are like 11.3-.5 CR in a SOHC anyway as I understand using online CR calculators?) I figured I would mill the head or use a different gasket to get the desired higher compression.

I wasn't really thinking about clearance problems, unless that has been know to happen?

The OEM bore size on the stock headgasket probably won't cause me any problems as you say, I just wanted to have any of the gasket material in between the combustion chamber and the top of the piston at TDC.
2004 Dodge Neon SXT 5 speed - DD
2002 Dodge Neon ACR

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:01 pm

From what I understand Felpro's are ready for .040" over. Also, not sure if they make one for a sohc already but Cometic will make you a thin headgasket, with an overbore if you need it.

You could also try taking apart the Felpro and remove one of the middle shims to raise compression a little.
So many neons so little time.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Clearance issues would be mainly high lift long duration camshafts.

Depending if the piston edge goes above deck or not might be another issue.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

Return to “Engine”