MAGNUM MODS

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Public Disturbance
2GN Member

Post by Public Disturbance » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:07 pm

The pt motor makes 150hp and 168 ft lbs I think off the top of my head on a stock motor won't gain much and internals aren't needed until you go boost or if you go high rpm na

RickTheRacer
2GN Member

Post by RickTheRacer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:51 pm

I dont know what to do anymore, lol
Doesn't matter if you win by a inch, or a mile, winning is winning

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:09 pm

RickTheRacer wrote:I dont know what to do anymore, lol
BOOOOOSSTT IT!

seriously, suuuper fun

I happen to have a turbo manifold for a SOHC for sale... :roll:

/plug
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

RickTheRacer
2GN Member

Post by RickTheRacer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:23 am

I unfortunately don't have the cash bro, turbo is the goal but it really isn't possible anytime soon :(
Doesn't matter if you win by a inch, or a mile, winning is winning

NyNeon0813
2GN Member

Post by NyNeon0813 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:38 am

So do the 2.4 swap and you will b that much closer when u do have the cash

'01 PEON - '01 R/T head swap.. Bolt ons & ksports

***tUrBo CoMiNg SoOn***

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Re: MAGNUM MODS

Post by NickKo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:43 am

RickTheRacer wrote:Since i want to buy myself a R/T neon i want to know what the best basic mods are for the car from people who actually know what they are talking about before i waste my cash.

Firstly: What cams should i get? Will crane 14's be okay in a daily driver aswell as giving good power? I have a piggyback chip if that will be needed and will it give a bit of a choppy idle? Any other suggestions? Assuming i will need to buy the crane valve springs they have on MP aswell.

Adjustable cam gear? Recommended? And are they universal or car specific? Since im all the way in S.A i want to have to import as little shit as possible, only what is hundred % necessary.

And a light weight under drive pulley, read that it is a good mod to install, also, is it also car specific or universal?

Please feel free to recommend mods, remember this will be for a R/T Neon..

Thanx gents, helping a rookie out :thumbup:
HERE is what I would do.
( Actually, I have done this.) :)

One of the best modifications I have done ( along with a Magnum head ), is upgrading the exhaust system.
Neon R/T's already have a header, so no improvement is needed there.

I replaced my catalytic converter since mine was on the way out, and upgraded it to an aftermarket replacement, with a 2 1/2in. Inlet x 2 1/2in. outlet (6.35cm) on both ends.
I mated this to a 2 1/2in./ 6.35cm I.D. exhaust piping. Along with this, I ran a DOHC 1st generation Neon muffler.
This made a considerable difference in the power curve..... It 'flattened out' the torque curve, and more power was available at all RPM's.

Another area to consider, is the Intake.
If you don't have a CAI ('Cold Air Intake') already, consider getting a good used Iceman, OR one of the 'Volant' intakes:
viewtopic.php?p=968663#968663

Magnum engines in the R/T already have the 'good' Magnum intake, but an upgrade to a larger throttle body, such as the 'Lorenzo' 58/60mm, will help. ( I would only do this, after the exhaust has been upgraded.... not before.)
Keep in mind that if you upgrade the throttle body, you will probably need to 'open up' or port out the Intake tunnel on the Intake Manifold , ( where the throttle body mates to the intake ), up to at least 55mm, or possibly more - if there is enough 'material' there.

Personally, I have had better results, running a 55mm throttle body, compared to a 60mm throttle body, on all *Naturally Aspirated* Neon engines. ( turbo is different, of course.)

HERE is a throttle body modification to consider :
viewtopic.php?t=30110
I know a local machinist on these boards, who has tried this on his own 2001 R/T, and he is very happy with this mod. :thumbup:

I have heard both good and bad things, about the Comp cams.
Magnum engines already have the good 'Magnum' cams, along with the Magnum valve springs, so you should be O.K.

An adjustable cam gear, is not really needed - Unless you want to change / move the Power curve.
Adjustable cam gears on a SOHC engine won't really help 'make more' power, but they will change the torque curve, depending on how it is set.

Be sure to get a U.D.P. (Under Drive Pulley), to replace the factory crank pulley.
That's one of the best modifications you can do, to a Neon engine.
IF you do this, be sure to run a higher octane fuel at all times, for an added margin of safety.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Re: MAGNUM MODS

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:26 pm

NickKo wrote:
RickTheRacer wrote:Since i want to buy myself a R/T neon i want to know what the best basic mods are for the car from people who actually know what they are talking about before i waste my cash. Thanx gents, helping a rookie out :thumbup:
HERE is what I would do.
( Actually, I have done this.) :)

One of the best modifications I have done ( along with a Magnum head ), is upgrading the exhaust system.
Neon R/T's already have a header, so no improvement is needed there.

I replaced my catalytic converter since mine was on the way out, and upgraded it to an aftermarket replacement, with a 2 1/2in. Inlet x 2 1/2in. outlet (6.35cm) on both ends.
I mated this to a 2 1/2in./ 6.35cm I.D. exhaust piping. Along with this, I ran a DOHC 1st generation Neon muffler.
This made a considerable difference in the power curve..... It 'flattened out' the torque curve, and more power was available at all RPM's.

Another area to consider, is the Intake.
If you don't have a CAI ('Cold Air Intake') already, consider getting a good used Iceman, OR one of the 'Volant' intakes:
viewtopic.php?p=968663#968663

Magnum engines in the R/T already have the 'good' Magnum intake, but an upgrade to a larger throttle body, such as the 'Lorenzo' 58/60mm, will help. ( I would only do this, after the exhaust has been upgraded.... not before.)
Keep in mind that if you upgrade the throttle body, you will probably need to 'open up' or port out the Intake tunnel on the Intake Manifold , ( where the throttle body mates to the intake ), up to at least 55mm, or possibly more - if there is enough 'material' there.

Personally, I have had better results, running a 55mm throttle body, compared to a 60mm throttle body, on all *Naturally Aspirated* Neon engines. ( turbo is different, of course.)

I have heard both good and bad things, about the Comp cams.
Magnum engines already have the good 'Magnum' cams, along with the Magnum valve springs, so you should be O.K.

An adjustable cam gear, is not really needed - Unless you want to change / move the Power curve.
Adjustable cam gears on a SOHC engine won't really help 'make more' power, but they will change the torque curve, depending on how it is set.

Be sure to get a U.D.P. (Under Drive Pulley), to replace the factory crank pulley.
That's one of the best modifications you can do, to a Neon engine.
IF you do this, be sure to run a higher octane fuel at all times, for an added margin of safety.

- Nick
:withstupid: Well said sir, well said!! I completely agree with NickKo.

The magnum head and intake manifold alone make a considerable change in both overall intake, exhaust, and flow maintenance over the stock 2gn. The mangnum cams have always been great and the 01 was suppose to be the most aggressive of all if I remember correct. coupled with the slightly higher compression and shorter gears of the 3.94, firmer struts, and the addition of a rear sway bar, you beat out a 2gn out the gate.

On my own car I am currently running a mag head that has been ported and polished with a comp 400 on an adjustable AEM gear. I am using a gasket matched magnum intake and for exhaust have a OBX longtube header, magnaflow high flow cat, and a Vibrant 95-99 DOHC dual tip muffler on the car. I also have MPx underdrive pulley and an AEM cold air intake. mine put down just shy of 160 to the wheels and it is fairly quick to accelerate. would have made more but due to the lower compression of all 03-05s I would have to deck the head or drop in the higher compression pistons of the 00-02s. With the same mods I have you would probably be close to about 180-185whp. if that is what you wanted to know.

With the timing advanced a little the car is slugish from 1k-2300 she feels like a standard 00-02 like my old one from 2400-3300. Motor starts to wake up around 3500 but isn't too impressive but then it pulls from 4k all the way to redline quick fast and in a hurry like. So, unless you want to spend all day around 5k rpm keep in mind that big nasty cams like big nasty revs.

If I were you I would grab the R/T and throw a cold air intake, MPx throttle body, a nice muffler and, a short throw shifter and clutch pedal pivot upgrade and just be happy with how quick it is for a year or two. Instead, put your money into nice suspension replacements and tires. Get, into your local autocross group and go have some fun for cheap. Once you start to get the sport and become familiar and comfortable with the car, THEN start looking for shiny motor mods.

hope that helps man :thumbup:
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

Return to “Engine”