Getting tired of this exhaust

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Kelevra
2GN Member

Getting tired of this exhaust

Post by Kelevra » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:57 am

So, I have an 01 RT axle back pipe. The inlet on the pipe is too large to clamp down on my 03 SXT's midpipe. I've been using a reducer for a few years now and ever couple of years it rusts out, not to mention it adds a good inch or two knocking it out of line ever so slightly. I've heard and seen exhaust pipe reducing bushings that are literally just a band of metal with a slit on them that will add some material to the pipe allowing it to clamp onto something smaller then it was designed to. Has anyone ever used/physically seen them in a store and know where to get them?

Also, does anyone possibly know the dimensions I need? I forget the exacts as it's been a few years since I had to repair it and I don't want to have to take it apart to find out the dimensions I need before getting the part.

or if anyone has an unused RT/duel exhaust that will fit between the R/T/mopar rear lip, stock cutouts, AND will bolt right on without the need of this BS reducing crap please let me know!

mopar2
2GN Member

Post by mopar2 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:19 am

Hehehe I have one of those bands! It's just a band of metal with a slit cut in it. It came with my Mopar Performance exhaust I have on my wifes 01 Neon. I'm gonna be honest with here though. I tried to use and just attach the axle back portion to her stock mid pipe. It still stayed loose no matter how tight the clamp. I modified the Mopar Perf mid pipe to fit on her cat and that way I have a full 2.5 inch exhaust all the way back now. You can try to shim it if you want otherwise I would just check out a Tru bendz pipe setup in the size you need.
2004 Dodge Neon SRT4 (New beast)
Owner of B&P Repair https://www.facebook.com/pages/B-and-P- ... 9500229160

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Just take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld it.
So many neons so little time.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Or have the mid pipe expanded to fit properly, if you don't want it to be permanent. But then you will have issues going back to a stock muffler. (If you keep the oem mid pipe)
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

NyNeon0813
2GN Member

Post by NyNeon0813 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:31 pm

Weld that biatch. Won't have a problem after that lol

'01 PEON - '01 R/T head swap.. Bolt ons & ksports

***tUrBo CoMiNg SoOn***

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:58 pm

ya id say expand the pipe you can rent a tool from autozone for free essentially and do it.... it just lets you stretch the pipe to the desired diameter

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold
2017 Volkswagen CC Rline Exec. 2.0t

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:48 am

I have found those "Expanders" are only good for possibly taking u bolt kinks/dents out. I have yet to find one that will actually stretch the pipe. The exhaust shop's pipe expanders are hydraulic for a good reason.

You can heat the pipe red hot, but then the rubber o rings they use to hold the tool together don't take to that too well. (Yeah, I tried)
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

Return to “Engine”