R/T exhaust header VS eBay SS header shorty

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
NickyC
n00b

R/T exhaust header VS eBay SS header shorty

Post by NickyC » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:35 am

So what flows better , lasts longer or disperses heat the best stock R/T exhaust header or those eBay stainless steel short tube headers?

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Subscribed. I'm gathering parts for 2 mag swaps so I either need 2 mag headers or suitable replacements.
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:07 pm

You don't want one that disperses the heat. You want one that retains the heat. The original purpose of ceramic coating was not for looks. The best ceramic coated headers are coated on the inside also.

The heat kept inside keeps better velocity. ;)

And BTW, the Magnum header is also stainless, just not 300 series. I doubt there is really any real flow advantages but possibly durability advantages for the Borla built Magnum header.

If I had to go ebay, it would be an OBX. They are pretty solidly built. If you want optimum performance from it, send it to Jet Hot, and have the inside ceramic coated. Probably not going to see enough gain from a shorty for the cost of getting it coated tho.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:14 pm

I would not buy the header from ebay short tube headers. Mine was bent and just crap...couldnt put it on. could of been one out of a few, but the fact i got it....im sure obx, modern, neon pro's wouldnt send you that
Project 003. Just building a Daily Driver with some upgrades.
For Sale Thread | CarDomain | FeedBack
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies Club" Member #119

Philipbrown
n00b

Re: R/T exhaust header VS eBay SS header shorty

Post by Philipbrown » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:09 am

NickyC wrote:So what flows better , lasts car accessories longer or disperses heat the best stock R/T exhaust header or those eBay stainless steel short tube headers?
I will go with eBay headers as they last long and perform much better.
Last edited by Philipbrown on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:39 am

Lol, they are SOHC shorty headers. They really don't give a huge improvement over the stock iron manifold. (Unless you are swapping to a Magnum head from a regular head, then it is a must for port matching)

Any of them are going to be in the same ball park as far as performance. It comes down to how long they last, and how well they seal. There isn't any advantage in power from an OBX to a Pacesetter to X brand to Magnum.

The only difference I saw with the shorty vs the manifold was slightly better sound quality. The later Magnum head swap, now that did make a noticeable difference.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

timk225
2GN Member

Post by timk225 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:27 am

I just bought a 5 SXT automatic. If I swapped the stock exhaust manifold for a magnum header with no other mods, would it make any difference?

I'd like to bolt on a polished Magnum head and a stock Magnum or 12 cam, but I need to find those first. Being that I have an automatic I don't want to kill what little bottom end it has.

Will the stock 5 plastic intake bolt to a Magnum head with no modifications or drilling new bolt holes?

I have looked at the stock Magnum header and the eBay Pacesetter headers, and I don't see much difference. The tubes might be arranged a little differently, but that's about it.

Skitlz
2GN Member

Post by Skitlz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:06 am

occasional demons wrote:Lol, they are SOHC shorty headers. They really don't give a huge improvement over the stock iron manifold.
My butt-dyno disagrees.
-Scott

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #135 (2005 SE)

NickyC
n00b

Post by NickyC » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:31 pm

So as long as the r/t exhaust header is in good shape then keep it on there and since I will be running no cat down pipe it would need to have a bung installed on the r/t header good thing I got one laying around !

Return to “Engine”