Best Overall Street Cam

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
MoparOso
2GN Member

Best Overall Street Cam

Post by MoparOso » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:43 pm

I may be totally off base thinking there are options, but I purchased a Crane #10 cam for a build I'm working up. I'll be running the 10:1 JE Pistons and a ported head with the 1mm oversized valves. I'm looking for a nice amount of grunt on the bottom end and a nice strong midrange. Top-end power is not a huge consideration as I don't tend to wind this vehicle out. It's a commuter, but just because it is, doesn't mean I don't want it to be nice.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Michael

04' Bright Silver Metallic Neon R/T - All sorts of goodies
05' Clearcoat Black Neon SXT - The driver
05' Clearcoat Black Crossfire SRT6 - Stock but easy on the eyes
08' Brilliant Black Pearl 300C SRT8 - 426 blown @ 11psi

Boosted22sxt
2GN Member

Post by Boosted22sxt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 pm

I would have gone with crane 12 or the comp 400 or 200... I've used the 200 and 12 cams very responsive.... I like them both.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:48 pm

A Crane 10 is nearly the same as a stock replacement. To be honest, I would see if you can return it if unused. A decent used '01 Magnum cam will get you better results, and no real change in fuel economy, unless you flog on it a lot.

The 10 isn't really a good match for a ported OS valve set up anyways. The valve lift/duration needs to be a bit more aggressive to match the flow needs of the head. You will be losing velocity to some extent from the milder cam.

For the pistons, if you don't want to buy rods to go with them, as most performance pistons don't fit oem rods, get a set of 1995 to 1999 DOHC pistons. You will have 10.3:1. You may need to remove a little material from the pin sides of the combustion chamber (preferred), or file a little off the pistons to avoid any potential contact. But if you never wind it up to the rev limit, it may not even be needed.

Our 1gn has this combo, and it is untouched. It has never had a contact issue. Runs fine on 87 octane, as I was unaware it had the DOHC bottom end until I did a head swap.

The Crane 12/Comp 400 is basically about the best match, the 400 being where I would lean towards. It's power band is about 200 rpm higher than the 200, should give you a decent mid range powerband. It revs out about the same as the stock PCM will go anyways.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:40 pm

IMO the comp 400 is the best DD street cam. you'll gain mid range and high, while not loosing any down low.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

MoparOso
2GN Member

Post by MoparOso » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:18 am

ZeroChad wrote:IMO the comp 400 is the best DD street cam. you'll gain mid range and high, while not loosing any down low.
I ended up going with the Crane #12. The guys at Modern were very nice and accepted my #10 on a straight swap exchange. Thanks guys for all of the input. I think once this build is complete I'm going to be really happy with what I've got.
Michael

04' Bright Silver Metallic Neon R/T - All sorts of goodies
05' Clearcoat Black Neon SXT - The driver
05' Clearcoat Black Crossfire SRT6 - Stock but easy on the eyes
08' Brilliant Black Pearl 300C SRT8 - 426 blown @ 11psi

Return to “Engine”