Rod bearing replacement questions. Advice appreciated.

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
biggrobb1995
2GN Member

Rod bearing replacement questions. Advice appreciated.

Post by biggrobb1995 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:15 am

After a little process of elimination, I do believe I have a bad rod bearing on our 95 single cam. Due to the fact that I am extremely cash strapped I am needing to do this repair as inexpensive as possible. I have been told that due to the possibility of debris from the bad bearing getting into the oil that it would be a good idea to replace the oil pump. Normally I would have no problem with this, but with my job being so unsteady right now, if I can avoid doing this I will. Another question is whether or not I "need" to replace the bearings for all four cylinders or can I just replace the bad one? Again, If I was wasn't hurtin financially I wouldn't even be askin these questions. Also, any advice on doing the installation is welcome as this is my first time doing this. I appreciate any help guys. Thanks in advance.
I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk!
"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."
I'm goin to drive my neon til it dies member #81
Some see angels, I've held one.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:04 am

just change the oil/filter when you replace the rod bearing, you should be fine, i've never heard of someone replacing the oil pump because of debris in the oil, maybe flush it out but not replace it...

also there's no garantee that just puting a new bearing in there will fix it, if the jornal is out of round now or the crank is badly gaulged it is going to do the same thing to the new bearing, basically 50/50 shot. dont forget to get new rod bolts, dont re-use them.
Last edited by r/tguy02 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:03 am

Bearings are cheap. If you're in there why not do all of them? as r/tguy02 said, be sure to check the crank. If you're doing it right buy some plastigauge (cheap) and check the bearing to crank clearances.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

g_force58
2GN Member

rod bearing replacement questions

Post by g_force58 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:03 pm

Not trying to rain on your parade here but it's doubtful just changing the rod bearings will be a long term fix. A friend did this to his acura integra and it didn't last 50 miles. he did check the bearing clearances with plastigage. I do Hope it works for you tho. Good luck and let us know how things go. I know how it is to be cash strapped and needed repairs come up.
To Conquer or to Die

Return to “Engine”