HELP needed, i've never seen this problem

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
TheLittleNeonThatCould
n00b

HELP needed, i've never seen this problem

Post by TheLittleNeonThatCould » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:42 am

I've never seen this before and I've been googling it up and looking through 2GN but haven't found a similar problem. Maybe someone can help me with this.. i'll explain what happened and what I did so it'd save time.. I want to clarify that I'm deaf so if my grammar is a bit off, English's my second language sorry in advance.

2005 Neon SXT

What happened: I had to move the car from one spot to another, I started the car up, turns over just fine (never had any issues with starting) backed up, went on drive, went up to 20 mph fine then somehow when I accelerate, it's not driving anymore instead the RPM revs up to 3k I let go, waited a bit, tried to accelerate again, the RPM revved up to 3k. Stopped the car, let go (still rolling on drive, accelerate lightly RPM rev up to 3k), stop.. put reverse, car rolling backs up, accelerate lightly and rpm revs up to 3k let go. put it in drive and 2nd gear, it rolls but when I touch the accelerator it revs up the motor like it's in neutral but still rolling within the direction. (Reverse on reverse, forward on the rest, park on P, sits still on N)

I first thought it was the belt being torn, I parked and turned it off. checked the engine bay, belt still intact, no fluid leaking underneath, got back in the car to start it up again and see what's up.. Now it wont start, can feel it clicking but not turning over. to ensure it wasnt the battery I jump started the neon with my truck, starter still clicks while turning key, but engine still not turning over.
Sprayed starter fluid in throttle body hose, (disconnected from filter housing, tried to start and nothing not even a short turn over..

There isn't any engine svc light on.

So what would be the problem? any ideas? its driving me crazy..
Many Thanks..

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:42 am

sounds like it was in limp mode (read up on that) when it wouldnt go over 3k. i'm really surprised you dont have a CEL on, do the "key dance" and find out if there are any stored codes. off hand the only thing i can think of is crank sensor, or possible bad connection somewhere.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:43 am

It sounds like the transmission might be slipping, if that's what you meant by the belt being torn.

If the starter is clicking, it could be a bad battery terminal connection, or a bad starter. You could try to tap the starter with a hammer while someone turns the key, to see if it cranks the engine.

If it is a bad battery terminal/connection, the voltage may be dropping low enough to clear any codes in the PCM.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

TheLittleNeonThatCould
n00b

Post by TheLittleNeonThatCould » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks rtguy, but I didn't mean that it wouldn't go above 3k rpm. It could have went over. It felt like I was on neutral and revving so I let go of the accelerator as it hit 3k.
I'll check limp mode in a second.

TheLittleNeonThatCould
n00b

Post by TheLittleNeonThatCould » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:09 pm

Bill,
At first i thought it was the transmission because it felt like I was driving on neutral, but it still was rolling. Changed gears. It still rolled in the direction it was supposed to go (reverse/forward) but slowly and when I use the gas pedal, it still feels like it was on neutral. (The grounds flat) which was odd.
Battery's new and I had a cable feeding the neon from my truck and I could still feel the clicking from starter. Did the hammer truck and nothing and starter fluid as well.
But not sure how not being able to start the car and that strange moment before it went dead was even related. I think there was a moment two weeks ago where it would "chug" once or twice while on drive like it wasn't getting gas. That's why I used the starter fluid to see if it was the fuel pump but it didn't turn over then die. It just never turned over.
I'm trying to cover everything. This is the first time I've ever seen this kind of problem

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:18 pm

ah ok, then yes its probably something internal to the transmission like a fluid pump or even the solenoid pack
Justin

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:52 pm

maybe it´s something inside the trany, but I´m wondering why the hell the starter won´t work from then on ?

How many miles, what´s about the tranyfluid - level, colour, smell, last service, maybe mixed different fluids ?
a neon - what else ?

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:55 pm

only thing i can think of is it doesnt think its in neutral
Justin

TheLittleNeonThatCould
n00b

Post by TheLittleNeonThatCould » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:59 pm

been working on the neon all morning feeling :cussing: and finally the CEL popped up.. :owned:

two codes, Camshaft p0340 and crankshaft p0335 along with 340pd/335pd.. (4 in total)
I replaced the camshaft sensor probably a year or two ago. I'll take a look at it, when it happened in the past, the car just wouldn't start after turning it off. but none of that freak show with the accelerator and RPM and the limping transmission. So when it happened it, I had no clue what it was about.
So is this a common problem with neon? with both of sensors going off? PCM or?

r/tguy, you had the crank sensor from the beginning, you were right.. Thanks again, i'll be back to check to see if theres any update/advices.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:28 pm

usually a no start is a crank sensor issue, but check both.
Justin

TheLittleNeonThatCould
n00b

Post by TheLittleNeonThatCould » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:45 am

Cam sensor replaced. Crank sensor refuse to come out of the hole. I think someone fixed it in the past and the plastic is glued to the block. The bolt was removed but the plastic kept on breaking until it's in a circular shape. Any advice. There isn't a "45 degree nipple end plier" or any way I can yank it out.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:22 am

they just suck in general from my experience, if the whole end is broke off now, you might end up having to drop the pan and push it out from the inside
Justin

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:47 pm

If the starter is not turning the engine, it would be almost impossible to get either code, unless there is a definite wiring short somewhere, or an internal short in one of the sensors. The engine generally has to be cranking first, then the PCM looks for signals from both sensors.

Have you checked the timing belt? It is possible the flex plate has cracked, and the starter is turning the ring gear, but the engine is not turning/turning fast enough?
Causes
A P0335 "check engine light" code could be caused by:
Damaged CKP sensor connector
Damaged reluctor ring (missing teeth or not turning)
Sensor output open
Sensor output shorted to ground
Sensor output shorted to voltage
Failed crank sensor
Broken timing belt
Failed PCM
Starter motor may be faulty
Starting system circuit
Dead or weak battery
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic