2.0t Sohc Neon questions

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
02goldse
2GN Member

2.0t Sohc Neon questions

Post by 02goldse » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:28 pm

hey guys/girls ive been on here for some time and ended up putting the neon off to the side and getting into a 240sx and drifting then i ended up wrecking my nissan and got back in my neon. ive had my same 2002 cg neon since i was 16 and now 24 and have tried to sell it, but dont think i can let it go, so now im here again with some questions because i plan on tearing the whole car apart and doing a SOHC turbo build. on to the questions.

my SOHC right now has 16x,xxx on it and i plan on tearing it down and putting new main and rod bearing, arp head studs, new headgasket, new lifters or lifter because im pretty sure mine is shot, cam gear, cam, staged clutch, coilovers, r/t intake manifold, 5spd swap, rear disc swap, etc etc the list goes on.

my main concern is who or what companies have sohc turbofolds or adapter plates to run an srt set up? the only company i found so far that sells a manifold for a sohc turbo set up is threadstone. i could just hack up my pacesetter header and get a wastegate flange and t3/t4 flange cant i, if i find someone to fab up some piping to make up the excess space.

a long while ago i spoke to glasswars about his setup after he finished his turbo sohc and he gave me a list of what he did and i was going to basically run the same set up, but i lost the message. what are some members with a sohc turbo setup running? im looking to get maybe somewhere in the middle of 2-300hp is it possible?

any help would be greatly appreciated and no i do not want to just do an srt swap :slap:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:14 am

Erick Steinmaier, a member here with ASP can get you set up with everything you need to do it right, and have a reliable DD.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

02goldse
2GN Member

Post by 02goldse » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:39 am

thanks demons..ive seen srt4s running around my way and no sohc boosted neons. was also wondering what ecu i would have to run, like can i run a 2gn r/t ecu or pre ngc(1gn?) ecu so i can get it tuned..and for transmission wise i would like to run a 2gn r/t trans, but my question is will an 03-04 srt trans w/ lsd bolt to a sohc block or would i have to change bell housing if possible?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:01 am

You need a turbo 2.4 block, or an adapter for the halfshaft carrier bearing to use the T850 on a 2.0. The T350 is adequate in most cases, and is lighter.

'04/'05 T850's had the LSD.

The R/T MTX is geared too low for boost, you really want the '03 up 3.55 T350 for the taller gearing. IIRC, you can get an improved OBX from chipdogg for an LSD to fit the T350.

The R/T PCM has too much potential spark advance for boost also. You would be better having syked tuning set up your PCM for the application, and going with a spool boy, etc, or Mega Squirt. ASP can get you set up for MS, etc...

http://sykedecutuning.com/
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jckevns
2GN Member

Post by jckevns » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:40 am

It seems everyone is selling their neon lately, I hate to be another one to do so but the time has come. Mods Engine: Bottem end rebuild kit from modern 5,000 miles or less on engine since rebuild JE pistons 8.6:1 .02 over Eagle rods Crane cam 12 Crane springs ARP Head studs Mild port and polish Modern 60mm TB Modern Underdrive pulley AEM adjustalble cam gear All Motor Mike initake manifold Modern Dog bone motor mounts 1gn Powder Coated Valve cover A/C delete Heater core removed Battery relocated to trunk Turbo: less than 2000 miles on turbo Bullseye S252 with extended tips http://www.bullseyepower.com/S200.asp HAHN turbo manifold modified for external wastegate Tial 38mm wastegate; 18lb spring installed HAHN blowoff valve HAHN intercooler and piping T-bolt clamps 7500 cc injectors Walbro 255 fuel pump (spoolboy mod) Aeromotive 1:1 fuel presure regulator Exhuast: 2.5 inch turbo back magnaflow camero style muffler magnaflow tips Suspension: srt front and rear sway bars front and rear strut tower bars Eibach Pro kit 1.5 inch springs Tokico HP struts (blue ones) Energy Suspension Bushing kit (control arm bushings not installed, I do have them) Tires/wheels: Drag black 5 spoke 15inch Falken Ziex ZE912 205/55R15 Exterior: Flame red (paint is faded in spots) Rear bumper recently painted Modern projector headlights Euro taillights Carbon fiber hood and trunk (previously on the Dark Jewl) Shorty antena (I have the stock one) Interior: sony CD/radio FX Racer leather bucket seats sparco seatbelt harness Triple gauge pod; AEM wide band, autometer oil pressure, autometer EGT Dash mounted gauges; autometer tach, autometer 30/30 boost and vac 82,xxx miles on the odometer Transmission: 3 speed atx Reverse Manual Valve Body ( yes it must be shiftet, it will not shift it self) 8,000 redline (shift between 7000 and 7500 for best results) External cooler

Megasquirt 2 tuned by Eric at ASP Dynod at Carlisle 2013 it made 273 hp 231 Torque There is plenty of fuel left with the injectors to turn the boost up

Theres a list from my sohc turbo build, as u can see it took alot to get close to the 300hp mark, ofcourse I was running a atx so that didnt help. Im trying to find pics, I had a hahn turbomanifold that was modified for an external wastegate

Phone Booth Member: 006

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:47 am

^ that was a fun little car to ride in for being auto

rob if you need help finding stuff just message me
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

jckevns
2GN Member

Post by jckevns » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:21 pm

[img][img]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx15 ... 093853.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx15 ... 171450.jpg[/img][/img]

i did some digging n thats the best pic i have of the wastegate mounted to the manifold

Phone Booth Member: 006

05MoparSRT4
2GN Member

Post by 05MoparSRT4 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:31 pm

I spoke with a guy from here at Carlislie. He had a turboed SXT. I can't remember his damn name I want to say it's Kevin. His car was clean and fast! I got to find his username.....he used a Mitsubishi turbo and a guy down in Tennesse helped him make whatever mods, iirc he didn't use a 2.4 block but the turbo bolted right on. He only had to customize the dump tube to fit it right.....god if I can only find his username I know he is on here he was a vendor.

02goldse
2GN Member

Post by 02goldse » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:41 pm

r/tguy02 wrote:^ that was a fun little car to ride in for being auto

rob if you need help finding stuff just message me
Hey justin I will be messaging you to find parts, but I'm still trying to figure out if I'm getting this stall at my buddies garage and the build is going to take a long while, because I have a lot of down time and don't really need the car on the road, but once I start piecing things together I'll pm you.

Hudson_Neon
2GN Member

Post by Hudson_Neon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:43 am

these are the turbo cars other than jack's that i can think of...

quicksilvr/turbodudey
viewtopic.php?t=10692

Hudson_Neon
viewtopic.php?t=29144

dtjackten
viewtopic.php?t=44001

OhNoA2.0
viewtopic.php?t=55990

i'm sure there's more, but these were the ones that stood out as i flipped through the progress logs really quickly

Return to “Engine”