exhaust SRT-D

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
liconhomeie
n00b

exhaust SRT-D

Post by liconhomeie » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:43 pm

I have a '05 SRT-D with all the bells and whistles. only mods are upgraded plugs/wires, short throw, and brakes/rotors/wheels/rims. was wanting to do a bolt on 3"or 4" cat back. but do i need to get the package for the SRT-4 or the SXT since the SRT-D is essentially an SXT but the body and the two tip exhaust with no turbo. any help would be great and a link to a good package would be awesome.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:21 pm

2.5" cat back is more than enough. The factory 2.25" is more suited to your mods, since there are none listed that will make any real difference in exhaust flow.

A 3" or larger is just going to be struggling to push the added air mass in the pipe out of the way.

About all you will be gaining is a different exhaust sound. I would go with Trubenz stainless piping, and a Camaro dual outlet set up for the muffler if you want to keep the factory look. If the SRT-D muffler is in good shape, you may want to keep it safe on a shelf, as I believe they are no longer available. Might be worth something to someone down the road.

Search for Camaro muffler on here, and you will probably get a few threads...

This still looks as good as the day installed, as far as the pipes go...
viewtopic.php?t=42639

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/se ... UST/Detail

5 years and still no rust (or any other issues than the rough start), I really cannot complain.

Just call and specify it is for a cat back and not a LTH application so the midpipe is the correct length.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:24 pm

Honestly, best bet would be to go to a local exhaust shop and have them make you a cat back with your choice of tubing. Throw on a magnaflow 1 in 2 out muffler and have them bend/fab up the tubing for the exit. Saves you alot more money than buying a cat back off the internet.

For example, the magnaflow catback for my m3 was 1100$, cost me 250$+the muffler to have my exhaust shop do it. Plus, the shop i got mine done at threw in a spray on ceramic coating(like vht header paint) for an extra 20$. Can't beat it

Edit: use the magnaflow from a v6 camaro/firebird. They sound great, look great, and its magnaflow..they stand by their shit. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shop ... n&id=12039

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:28 pm

no need for a 3" exhaust or bigger. just get a magnaflow muffler added on for sound.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:32 pm

That's about what I paid for the system I linked above, with muffler/install. But then that was 5 years ago. Probably more like $300 to $450 now depending on labor/muffler choice. My muffler was about $70, and still in that price range. Stainless is the way to go if you want it to last, or only buy it once.

If the current system is still solid, time isn't really a factor. If it is falling off the car, and it's your DD, then you may not want to have stuff shipped, and your options are limited.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Re: exhaust SRT-D

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:16 pm

liconhomeie wrote:I have a '05 SRT-D with all the bells and whistles. only mods are upgraded plugs/wires, short throw, and brakes/rotors/wheels/rims. was wanting to do a bolt on 3"or 4" cat back. but do i need to get the package for the SRT-4 or the SXT since the SRT-D is essentially an SXT but the body and the two tip exhaust with no turbo. any help would be great and a link to a good package would be awesome.
Honestly if I were you, I'd go to an exhaust shop, tell them you want a camaro style magnaflow muffler put in place of the stock muffler, and get two 3" tips put on, it'll fill out the stock cutouts nicely.

liconhomeie
n00b

Post by liconhomeie » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:51 pm

Thank you all very much. I think I might take it to the shop and have them make me one as I'm not looking for a better performance one I would just like a better sound. And thanks for the tip about keeping my old one as it is in pretty good condition.I appreciate the fast response to my question!
[img]

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:28 am

Where are you at id be interested in picking up your old muffer. lol

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold
2017 Volkswagen CC Rline Exec. 2.0t

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:49 pm

blueneo03 wrote:Where are you at id be interested in picking up your old muffer. lol
Nooo not on an SRT rear!

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:21 pm

i thought it was a srt-d rear like the R/T?

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:19 pm

it is, same setup as R/T. I think Adam meant YOU have an SRT bumper... no? If so, his muffler won't fit the width of YOUR cutouts... you'd have to roll the bumper to make it work and it looks terrible... I know because I did it.
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:53 pm

It is also quieter than the R/T muffler from what I understand. Maybe as quiet as a regular neon muffler, but with R/T outlets/tips.

They are not the same internally, just externally.
R/T muffler:
MUFFLER, Exhaust ECH 5278624AH $370.00

SRT-D muffler:
MUFFLER, Exhaust ECB With Bright Tip 5273673AA $320.00

Standard muffler:
MUFFLER, Exhaust ECB 4546968AD $289.00
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

liconhomeie
n00b

Post by liconhomeie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:15 pm

It's not as quiet as a regular neon , but it's not quite as loud as an srt-4. It does have a destictive deep-ish noise to it, but it's not very loud.
[img]

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:23 am

If you take it off, take some detailed pics of any markings on it. I'm aware of the part numbers being different, but I'm pretty certain the muffler is identical. If anything is different it is more than likely the inlet pipe size. To fit an R/T muffler on a non R/T you need an adapter pipe due to pipe size difference. Perhaps the SRT-D uses the correct size inlet piping so no adapter is needed.
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:50 am

Ya no srt rear bumper on mine.. i want one tho.. but iirc the srt-d is quieter as well as more than likely the inlet sizing.

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:25 am

blueneo03 wrote:Ya no srt rear bumper on mine.. i want one tho.. but iirc the srt-d is quieter as well as more than likely the inlet sizing.
I'm just making a crack because I know you wanted one, but it'll look dreadful with the R/T width tips.

I believe the SRT-D and R/T mufflers sound fantastic. Barely a little growl, no rasp, stock sound at idle and cruising. I'm curious what it'll sound like with a 2.4 in front of it.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:19 pm

The inlet is most likely 2.00" compared to the R/T's 2.25" size. It has to fit the SE/SXT's necked down pipe.

Funny it is a $50 increase for a small inlet pipe change, vs the $31 increase over the single outlet muffler to the SRT-D muffler's twin outlet with two stainless steel tips.

Not a bad $31 upgrade if you were spending that kind of coin on an oem muffler.

If the internal piping is 1/4" larger in the R/T muffler, that would make it a touch louder.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

orangeneon05
2GN Member

Post by orangeneon05 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:00 pm

i have an srt-d and i recently upgraded my exhaust.

i have an R/T catalytic converter, sxt mid section, and srt axle back tips.

A few notes to add to this thread that might be helpful:

1. the srt-d muffler sound similar to the R/T muffler (my brother has an R/T sounded similar)

2. the srt-d pipes are 2.25" all the way down the length of the car.

3. the srt-d's distance between the tips from outside edge to outside edge is smaller then the srt rear bumper

4. if you use the srt rear end or any of the after market performance ones the srt tips will fit under it be will be an inch wider on either side of the tips. if your looking at the bumper horizontally you will notice the off set distance. of the tips other then that its not very noticeable.

just my two cents on the matter.
Buyer/ Seller Feedback Here

2005 OB Srt-D, R/T motor swap

Return to “Engine”