no start no spark issue.

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

no start no spark issue.

Post by Neon4Life » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:52 pm

hey guys, been chasing a no start no spark problem for days now. i thought i
problem with my 96 neon here.

fuel pump is new due to doing my build most of u know about. i hear it turn on when i go to ignition on.

had narrowed it down to my crank sensor being bad. so i replaced it and the wiring because i had the old style connector in my 96 neon. so new to old sensor the new one looks way better. i put it in and done. try to crank it over and nothing. except now i do see slight movement from my RPMs on the gauge cluster and laptop that wasnt there before with the old sernsor. but still no spark.

coil pack terminal resistance came back to 10.93 between both 1,4 and 2,3. the voltage to the middle wire even came back to 9 and a half somewhere around there. which then it says its a bad crank sensor.. well just replacing it how is it bad.

what do i check now.. for it being a 96 i know that if the cam sensor was bad it wouldnt let me start it and unplugging it and trying to start it wont work because its a 96.. cant try that with 96 neons. but if my cam sensor was bad would it be the reason im not getting the voltage i need or would that indicate a short in the wire somewhere... fuses all look good.

please and thanks for your help.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:24 pm

Did you try measuring the voltage with the cam sensor unplugged to see if it was killing the voltage?
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:04 pm

No I did not try that. So u want me to disconnect the cam sensor then see what voltage that coil pack wire puts out..?

I was also going to see what voltage I got to those 3 sensors later. Maybe that way I'll know which one is taking the voltage..

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:09 pm

No, the feed voltage at the Crank sensor. The cam, crank, and VSS all have the same 8 volt supply. (orange wire)

The VSS can also ground out and cause a no start/run issue.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:19 am

Well I tested all 3 wires. Came back good. Got the same 8 bolts for all 3 of those. But still no spark. I do notice that my relay doesn't click when I turn ignition on. I swapped it with known good one yet still nothing. Voltage for the coil pack seems nonexistent.. No 12 volts like it should be getting.

Oh yeah and what if u told you I get a clicking sound coming from my idle air control when ignition is on. Would that mean anything..

Dillmiester
n00b

Post by Dillmiester » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:19 pm

Maybe i can help shed some light on this with my recent epic saga i just went through with my 2000.

At first I thought it was the cam sensor because it happened to me before were it shut off and wouldnt start because of a wiring harness i got from a guy of craigslist i hadnt noticed but all three cam sensor wires were just bare touching each other and caused the car to shut off and not start just kept cranking it finally hit me to do the key dance which pointed me finding out about the wires.

That was that and all was well till about a month ago it happened again except this time it wasnt wiring related. I tried everything i could think of resoldered a bunch of connections got a new coil pack because i noticed some arching on the outside and it APPEARED that i was not getting spark on 2 of the plugs.

Well after exhausting everything i could think of days of research and fruitless diagnosis i remembered that i had noticed at the top of my timing cover what looked like a circular line of melted plastic (belt rubbing) and the picture started to become clear with why the spark wasnt right so i started the journey removing my timing cover. When i finally was able to remove the two bottom screws of the cover out fell a pile of melted plastic and ball bearings. My tensioner had gotton so hot it fused itself together and looked like it exploded belt was still on, crankshaft sprocket had a half inch chip in the side wall that keeps the belt on. So long story short thats why it wasnt starting. Everything i had thought was electrical turned out root cause was mechanical.

Was a Christmas miracle the engine was ok since i usually run the piss out her. New tensioner, crank sprocket, timing cover, and belt later and she ridin. I took some pictures havent had the time to share.

Return to “Engine”