Gates Timing belt kit and aftermarket parts thoughts and opinions?

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Albius
2GN Member

Gates Timing belt kit and aftermarket parts thoughts and opinions?

Post by Albius » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:03 am

Hi there guys!

Last time my car got changed timing kit was 4 years ago. About 65000 kms had gone by since 2014 and in that occasion I bought a Mopar kit that one of my friends did not need. The reason to get it changed again is because I have a intermittent hissing belt/tensioner noise when the engine is cold, once it warms the sound gone. I can upload a video of this if necessary.

I wonder how reliable the Gates kit TCKWP245A for my 2005 SE is in general quality terms. Here's a link of it and I think Amazon sells it in a good price.
https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B001NYE292 ... -LO-KE5IST

Also, as I need to get the regular tune-up maintenance to pass the annual state contaminants test, I would go in the aftermarket parts route, so I would like to know which brands manufactures Mopar or better quality in:
Air filters
Fuel filters
Oil filters
PCV Valves
CKP/CMP sensors
Head/block/oil pan/valve cover gaskets
I know the best plugs for these engines are the default copper ones RC9YC, so no problem with this.
I hate Fram cheap oil and air filters from AwfulZone and I know it's only a Neon, but I think is a great car <3

Thanks for your help, guys!

Warm regards from Mexico.
..:: Albius ::..

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Gates Timing belt kit and aftermarket parts thoughts and opinions?

Post by occasional demons » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:55 pm

Welcome Back!

First off, the fuel filter is part of the fuel pressure regulator, and is usually a lifetime piece, or replaced when the fuel pressure regulator dies.

The biggest issue I have seen recently with the Gates timing kits is the water pump leaking prematurely. About 30,000 miles/48280 km, or less.

Which sucks because if you have to get a Mopar or GMB pump, it takes away any savings of getting the kit. Even more so if you have to go back and redo it.

Crank and cam sensors, it's a tough call anymore. The Mopar ones are made in China now. IDK how long they hold up compared to the parts store brands.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Albius
2GN Member

Post by Albius » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:49 am

Thanks for the reply, Bill !!

So the Gates pump sucks? If so, I was looking the OEM and costs $67.00 USD or so. It is matter to get a better price in the stealership

Did you experience premature wearing in the belt tensioner in Gates?

Thinking in getting a Gates racing (blue one) belt for this process too, but I am not sure if I will get a benefit in terms of durability or if the T245 will be fine

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:18 am

The water pump seems to be the only item giving any troubles.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Albius
2GN Member

Post by Albius » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Ok. I will take tensioner and belt from Gates and the pump and oil filter from stealership :)

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:39 pm

That's what I did last year. Can you order from Modern Performance in Mexico? I bought this kit to make sure I got the good quality tensioner:

http://www.modernperformance.com/produc ... components

Besides that, I put a Mopar water pump in. I don't want any problems with it!
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:17 pm

I've had good luck with all the available parts on Modern Performance's site. I think the Gates pump issue is hit or miss. Some have been fine. It's not exactly confidence inspiring, though.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Yeah, it sucked having to pull it all apart again at under 30,000 miles. As bad as a leak that it was, I'm just thankful it happened sitting in the garage. If i had been on a road trip, it would have sucked if there wasn't enough stops to refill my spare water jug and top off the system to make it home. It wasn't a small leak. Basically a stop every 10 to 20 miles and refill leak.

I'm just crossing my fingers, because I used a Gates kit in my Subie too. But access is a lot better in that situation, but still not something you want to happen a few hours from home with your family in the car. Or in freezing temps...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Albius
2GN Member

Post by Albius » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:23 pm

jonnymopar wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:39 pm
That's what I did last year. Can you order from Modern Performance in Mexico? I bought this kit to make sure I got the good quality tensioner:

http://www.modernperformance.com/produc ... components

Besides that, I put a Mopar water pump in. I don't want any problems with it!
Yup, I can order parts to MP from here. I am considering to do that if shipping does not cost so much.

As you guys stated, I don't want problems with the water pump either and I like to do this process once in a while in order to pay the labor only once and get rid of worries about timing components. Thanks for your thoughts!

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:22 am

For my SuperCharged build and my brothers Mexican turbo build here's what I used:
Timing belt - Gates blue belt (I had deflection at 7000rpm on my 2.0 Magnum build with black belts)
Water Pump - Mopar
Tensioner - Mopar or Gates
Air filters - Doesn't matter really, just stay away from any oiled air filters
Fuel filters - Not a maintenance item you have to worry about in normal conditions
Oil filters - I use either....NAPA GOLD, Mopar, Amsoil
PCV Valves - Mopar
CKP/CMP sensors - Mopar
Head/block/oil pan/valve cover gaskets - Victor Reinz gasket set ( the head gasket survived my 16psi of boost with 300+ intake temps)

I know the best plugs for these engines are the default copper ones RC9YC, so no problem with this. (I use NGK Iridiums in everything)

I hate Fram cheap oil and air filters from AwfulZone and I know it's only a Neon, but I think is a great car <3 (oil filters, NEVER USE FRAM) but when it comes to an air filter in a stock airbox it really doesn't matter, as mentioned above do not use oil soaked air filters (K&N)

^^^ This of course is my opinion and from my experiences

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:16 am

Honestly, I haven't used Champion plugs since I've owned a neon, and never had an issue. But then using quality plug wires might have something to do with that.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Engine”