Engine overhaul and upgrades

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Engine overhaul and upgrades

Post by jacoblindsay » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:02 pm

So awhile ago my 02 neon engine died. Driving to school somehow I got a hole in my oil pan and I didn't catch it so I drove the car with basically no oil for maybe a mile before it died. Not entirely sure what is damaged yet because I haven't taken it apart. I kinda want to do a minor NA engine build, bore the cylinders (but how much), maybe a stroker crank (but again which one if any exist), I built a head before the engine died with a comp 400 and port and polish ( I might swap the hydro lifters with solid lifters for reliability), I also want to maybe swap the rockers to something upgraded if anyone has a good set in mind. Now that ive replaced the neon as my daily with a versa :lol: i can build the neon to be a fun car to drive around the track every now and then. Any suggestions for a cool build I'll take em. I guess the main reason I came here is to ask what kinda of parts are worth spending money on while the engine is out an ready to build??

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Engine overhaul and upgrades

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:54 pm

jacoblindsay wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:02 pm
I built a head before the engine died with a comp 400 and port and polish ( I might swap the hydro lifters with solid lifters for reliability), I also want to maybe swap the rockers to something upgraded if anyone has a good set in mind.
The only rocker assy's available are oem and oem type replacements. No one makes any with solid lash adjusters. That isn't even an option for DOHC heads.

If it ran out of oil, there could be damage to that 400 cam, and hopefully the bottom end seized stopping the engine before the cam did. Otherwise it might be a permanent part of the head.

Depending on what locked up, it might be better to begin with an engine that still turns.

Stroker cranks do exist, but plan on spending some money. You're looking at pistons and probably rods to go with the added stroke. The stock pistons for sure will not work with the added stroke. Given all aftermarket custom pistons are full floating design, that tosses the stock rods out the window. Most stoker 2.0's I have seen are around 2.2 liters. IIRC DCR or Indy sell them.

Investing that much, may as well go DOHC, for better cam options, and a valve train that is rated for 7200 rpm all day. DOHc is about the only way you will get a better valve train. Not that the SOHC is horrible, but the DOHC has far less reciprocating mass. And DOHC will outflow the SOHC, unless you have a Magnum head to play with. DOHC heads are far more available.

You'll need DOHC manifolds to match. Most 2.0 DOHC IM's are pretty cheap, and can be modded to fit the 2gns. PT Cruiser exhaust manifolds flow well, and will fit in a neon. A PT header will fit, but the down pipe needs rebent.

In the end, a turbo 2.4 swap will make far more more power for the money spent if you go stroker, and be more user friendly.

I like the 2.0, but If I were spending that much, I would just go with an SRT swap and be done. Otherwise I would just stick with bolt ons and be happy with that. You're not going to make 200 hp, but it won't break the bank for a $1000 car.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Engine”