'02 Magnum engine low on power

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
supertrick_05
2GN Member

'02 Magnum engine low on power

Post by supertrick_05 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:43 am

Just picked up an '02 ACR with 200k miles from a few friends of mine last weekend. It is definitely low on power, so the first thing I checked was the spark plugs. Fine, until I dropped one and wrecked it so I went to the store and got some NGK replacements. I did a compression check and they all were at around 210. That's fantastic compression! Didn't know the history of the car so I replaced the coil and wires. Still horrible power. I'm starting to wonder if the MTV actuator on the intake manifold is stuck or faulty? I'm going to order a gasket set and remove the intake manifold and check the actuator. Trying to think what else it could be...
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by supertrick_05 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Brodie
2002 Dodge Neon ACR - Needs LOTS of love, but I'm gonna slowly get her to where she deserves to be :)

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: '02 Magnum engine low on power

Post by occasional demons » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:41 pm

Maybe it has a shit load of carbon build up, and the knock sensor is pulling spark timing? That compression seems maybe a bit too high for a stock engine with 200,000 miles.

If the valve seals are leaking oil into the exhaust, the ports might be carboned up, restricting flow too.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Engine”