Magnum heads

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Taylor27
Fresh Fish

Magnum heads

Post by Taylor27 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:46 am

I have a 02 neon se being built for dirt track racing I've heard about Magnum heads but I'm confused on it because of little explanation of I could get a part number that would be great. New to motors I'm general

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Re: Magnum heads

Post by JeremyJ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Magnum heads came in the 2001 and up R/Ts and ACRs. They had larger exhaust ports for better flow. They also came with a steeper cam and stiffer valve springs. Sorry, I don't know any part numbers.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Magnum heads

Post by occasional demons » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Part numbers won't help anyways. I doubt you could buy one new from the dealer.

You have to watch for For Sale posts, and check Ebay/Craigslist etc.

Magnum heads have "R/T" cast into the timing end, and the exhaust ports are humped up across the tops looking down behind the rocker cover if it is installed i\on the car. This is far better than looking for a casting number. Standard heads are flat across the top, so basically look at your's, and you will see what I am talking about.

The best overall cam for the SOHC head, without screwing with the factory PCM is the Comp cams "400". It was designed for the Magnum head, but will work in the standard head. Lie said, the biggest differences aside from the cam are the exhaust ports and valve springs. The valves are the same. You'll need a header that has large enough openings for the Magnum exhaust ports, or the entire thing will be about worthless.

You cannot port a standard head to the size of the Magnum ports.

2001 to 2004 were the model years. (2gn) ACR's were only 2001/2002, and not very common. But they are out there....

But don't expect huge gains from just the head. The total package of the cam/PCM/header/intake manifold/head only made 18 additional hp from the factory.

But the head does help when using it with other bolt on's.

Depending on what your class rules allow, you may need to be creative on making worthwhile gains. There isn't any stock cast iron manifold that will match up to the Magnum exhaust ports. It had a shorty header from the factory, but it also had a heat shield, so it could pass as stock. You will need an o2 bung welded in though.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Engine”