Rebuilding a Cylinder head

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Rebuilding a Cylinder head

Post by jacoblindsay » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:21 pm

Has anyone ever needed to use shims when rebuilding a head with crane valve springs?

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Re: Rebuilding a Cylinder head

Post by jacoblindsay » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:28 pm

Also where can I get new spark plug wells because I may have bent the originals when I removed them. #-o

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 am

The only reason you might need to shim the springs is if the valves/seats have been ground excessively, and the valves are sunk into the head. But that in itself is cause to have the seats and valves replaced.

Shimming also gets the springs closer to coil bind at full lift.

Spark plug tubes are available at most parts stores under the Dorman brand, or from the dealer. I like the way the dealer ones install better, and the cost is about the same either way. The tubes are used on a multitude of Mopar engines, so they are one item that should be around for a while. Thet shouldn't really be reused anyways, unless you scuff them up, degrease the tubes and bores, and use bearing locker loctite to reinstall them. The loctite for a decent sized bottle will cost more than the tubes.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Post by jacoblindsay » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:07 pm

Cool thanks. Any tricks with using a valve springs compressor on the stiff crane springs. It took me about an hour to seat one retainer and keepers😕

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:27 pm

This style of compressor has been most helpful for me, when it comes to installation. I use the Lisle hammer-on tool for removal, but it's useless for installation.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:34 pm

You can try using some grease on the valve stem to hold the locks, and a pair of small needle nosed pliers to position them, but not sure what will help with the spring tension.

This style locks in place, so you don't have to hold the spring tension while trying to get the locks in place.

You can find them for under $50.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:00 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:34 pm
This style locks in place, so you don't have to hold the spring tension while trying to get the locks in place.

You can find them for under $50.
This style has worked well for me in the past. There's a window on the spring side so you can place the keepers in with a magnetic tool or long tweezers.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Post by jacoblindsay » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:51 pm

Not part of the cylinder head but I'm at the point were I'm installing the pistons. I'm having trouble getting the piston pin into the connecting rod. Am I supposed to heat up the con rod to expand the bore a little bit? or do something else?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:49 am

Pretty much need a shop press to assemble them. Press fit is the only thing that keeps the wrist pin in position with stock pistons/rods. Be sure to properly support the piston or you could damage it.

How did you get them apart?
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Engine”