Timing Bet Broke

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
RainbowWrench
2GN Member

Timing Bet Broke

Post by RainbowWrench » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:29 pm

Sadly, today marks the last day that "crackwagon" A.K.A "shitbox 2000" added to the odo. I have been noticing something during highway driving, mainly getting up to speed, a momentary cessation in the forward pull provided by the little 2.0 I4 .

My concerns were valid , alas I hadn't, and will not in the foreseeable future, have the means to purchase the timing kit.

It is possible that I can , with a personal loan,and many hours of elbow grease ,obtain and resurrect yet another neon.

This car was my freedom, my backpack, safe place, my place.

All drama aside, the 2002 dodge neon se , at 174k miles , went hard and endured abuse throughout the 9 different owners of itself.

Montana weather is some of the harshest, and it endured, but this is the end.

I will post photos of any findings during the auto autopsy ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

RainbowWrench :idea:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Timing Bet Broke

Post by occasional demons » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:15 pm

That thing has better looking rocker panels than probably 99% of the neons that still are around in my area.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:23 pm

RIP to this neon, looks like it did very well for it's service.
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

RainbowWrench
2GN Member

Post by RainbowWrench » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:17 pm

Thank you guys. It's internals thus far aren't terrible on the bottom of the block, I broke an oil pan bolt , will have to figure that out, broke a wrench trying to remove the head, so thats on hold till tomorrow.

Any advice removing the broken oil pan bolt? It's fairly small, but the point at which it sheared was close to the exit , so it should be easier to remove.Image

RainbowWrench
2GN Member

Post by RainbowWrench » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:58 am

Got the head removed. 6 valves it seems. Wondering if I should by a used yet functional head for 250, thoughts? Can't afford machine shop, probably safe though, block deck looks fine. Coolant galleries are full of tarnish though (corrosion?)

RainbowWrench
2GN Member

Post by RainbowWrench » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:08 am

CrapImageImage

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:03 pm

You could buy 6 valves for less than $250. But changing them without a valve spring compressor would be impossible.

This would work fine, just need patience, some small needle nose pliers to help with the locks. Cheap enough for a one time use.

https://www.amazon.com/Supercrazy-Unive ... 5700&psc=1

Might need to do some light valve lapping to help seat the new valves to the seats. But it is doable, and will get the car back on the road without spending "more than it's worth". If you get a year out of it, it's worth the money spent. That's a years worth of payments not made on a newer car.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

RainbowWrench
2GN Member

Post by RainbowWrench » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:31 pm

occasional demons wrote:You could buy 6 valves for less than $250. But changing them without a valve spring compressor would be impossible.

This would work fine, just need patience, some small needle nose pliers to help with the locks. Cheap enough for a one time use.

https://www.amazon.com/Supercrazy-Unive ... 5700&psc=1

Might need to do some light valve lapping to help seat the new valves to the seats. But it is doable, and will get the car back on the road without spending "more than it's worth". If you get a year out of it, it's worth the money spent. That's a years worth of payments not made on a newer car.
This car is my freedom and my life honestly.
I can probably borrow a spring compressor

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:42 pm

I probably have a SOHC head lying around in my garage, but shipping from Ohio to Montana might not be worth it.

I think 6 aftermarket valves would be cheaper, LOL.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Engine”