"while I'm at it" clutch replacement.

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
bbvaliant
n00b

"while I'm at it" clutch replacement.

Post by bbvaliant » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:55 am

The original clutch in my 2002 R/T is finally starting to slip at 170k miles (I bought the car new so I know it's the original clutch). Since this is a 95% stock original car, I was planning on going with a Luk PT Cruiser clutch for a replacement. I always try to do preventative repairs while I have something apart, so my plan was to also change the throwout bearing, axle seals, diff fluid, rear main seal (I think it's starting to seap), and possibly the clutch master/slave cylinders.

I have a few quick questions for those folks with experience changing Neon clutches:
- Would anyone recommend a different brand of clutch and why?
- What else should be on the "while I'm at it" list of parts to replace?
- Is there anything on the list that I shouldn't do (clutch master/slave cylinders)?
- I've done RWD clutches but not a FWD clutch or a modular clutch, any gotchas to watch out for?

Thanks.

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Re: "while I'm at it" clutch replacement.

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:07 pm

I highly recommend the Luk PT clutch. I put it in my mildly built '02 R/T and it was great. Stock feel with greater power holding. Excellent piece for the money. While you're in there, you should also check the pivot ball. They do wear out over time and they're cheap to replace. As for the slave/master setup, it's never a bad idea to replace those while it's apart. Look for the systems that come together as a pre-bled unit. They bolt right in without any need to bleed, which makes the install pretty easy. And avoid the Dorman brand units. I know the price is usually twice as much, but I'd suggest a Mopar master/slave setup.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:24 pm

I had a Mopar clutch installed when mine was replaced several years ago. The pivot ball was replaced at the same time (Mopar as well). The big thing that got by the tech (and myself) is that the master/slave should have been replaced at the same time since the whole front end was out but this is 20/20 hindsight. This means a Mopar master/slave replacement in the future for my SRT.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

bbvaliant
n00b

Post by bbvaliant » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:24 pm

Thanks Jeremy for the Luk endorsement, and more importantly the "avoid Dorman" recommendation. Where do people get the MoPar M/S combo these days? Rockauto doesn't even have a listing for it (it has 2 others that are "out of stock"), but they only show Perfection Clutch and AMS Automotive as being available for the cylinder combo, any thoughts on these vendors?

Midnight_RIder, thanks for the pivot ball reminder, I'll order one of those as well.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:06 pm

bbvaliant, PM sent.

bbvaliant
n00b

Post by bbvaliant » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:19 am

Midnight_Rider: apparently I haven't posted enough forum messages to send or reply to PMs, I'll send you the info as soon as I'm allowed... Thanks.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:42 am

Oh, I didn't think of that. Here is what I sent in a PM:

I found this on eBay- would this work for a slave unit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294033020915?f ... Sw5J5gN~FC

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:04 am

VIN not needed for a Master/slave assembly, all were the same, except for SRT. Or if it had RHD, and/or the 1.6 liter engine (Export).

It's pretty obvious in this situation as to what you have.

4668631AD ACTUATOR ECB, ECH DD5 Hydraulic Clutch Master
4668331AB CYLINDER ECB, ECH DD5 Clutch Slave

Optional pieces:
4670268 1 DD5 CLIP, Clutch Tube Mounting
4668893AA 1 DD5 CLIP, Clutch Tube Mounting

These are plastic, and might be destroyed removing them.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:55 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353447951368?e ... SwHlFgbftT

Thanks to OD's information, this might be the clutch master you're looking for.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:57 am

I've never had a clutch master go bad, but my slave cylinder did crack and left me almost stranded 20 miles from home. I drove home without using the clutch as much as possible.

Since you'll have it out, I'd take a look at doing the axle seals, and the rear main seal on the engine. The rear main was a source of a big leak for me in my daily I got from Racer12306, but it's been fine since then.

I will say, do not use an ebay branded clutch. I put one in the car that I had laying around, and after 23K miles of driving it started slipping when I start getting stuck in heavy traffic. Hoping it can last until spring.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:24 pm

INVUJerry wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:57 am
I will say, do not use an ebay branded clutch.
I agree- that's why I posted the link for a Mopar replacement part.

I bought both a Mopar clutch master and clutch slave and plan to have them installed in the spring when I have my annual oil change.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:31 am

The clutch I put in my car is an XTD brand, if I could do it again I’d get a Luk clutch.

I’d only replace the master and slave cylinder if they’re broken. I have an autozone slave cylinder in mine and it’s been fine.

Return to “Drivetrain”