According to chrysler, this is normal and OK!

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
Mad_Medeiros
2GN Member

According to chrysler, this is normal and OK!

Post by Mad_Medeiros » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:31 pm

I just don't know what to do anymore, car was at the shop friday and dealer told me theres "nothing we can do"

I'm stumped the car is fucked.. has tons of warrenty but no one will fix it, because the tranny is suppose to be new..

any ideas guys

SlvrACR
2GN Member

Post by SlvrACR » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:34 pm

If you push in the clutch does it go away?
If it does then its your Throw Out Bearing.
2gn Member Feedback
My Project Log
01 Dodge ACR - SOLD
01 Dodge RT - 279whp 329wtq

Mad_Medeiros
2GN Member

Post by Mad_Medeiros » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:37 pm

^impossible, throw out bearing is brand new...

less then 500 kms on it. clutch is a PT clutch and has less then 2500 kms on it

I've tried everything I figured it was my TOB as well

when clutch is pushed down, sound goes away.

chrysler dealership told me they took it apart and everything checked out ok.. yeah right.

SlvrACR
2GN Member

Post by SlvrACR » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:40 pm

Well i dont know what to tell you but the signs point that way. Are you using the PT TOB?
2gn Member Feedback
My Project Log
01 Dodge ACR - SOLD
01 Dodge RT - 279whp 329wtq

2k1MotorSport
2011 Gold Contributor

Post by 2k1MotorSport » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:46 pm

jesus man... leave it to dealerships
-Scott

Mad_Medeiros
2GN Member

Post by Mad_Medeiros » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:47 pm

lol, yeah leave it to them when they can't do shit for ya eh

I think its only due to the fact the car still moves from a to b..

I'm pretty sure with the nice sounds its making it won't be much longer till she blows.. then back to the dealer it goes.
SlvrACR wrote:Well i dont know what to tell you but the signs point that way. Are you using the PT TOB?
I had both tob's they looked identical in my hand, and I even posted on here, and was told it was ok to use to neon one, there the same?

it made the same sound before the new tob/clutch.. i put the new stuff in, and its still making the same sound.

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:25 pm

I think it's just that they are idiots and can't figure out how to put a clutch in. If they don't get the TOB in there right from the beginning, it will rattle.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:46 pm

That is exactly what my tranny sounds like on cold start up. Add in some MAD piston slap, a hair of rod knock, and you've got my car. I've been driving it like ever since I've owned it. Three years, over 100 000km, several drag, auto-x, and lapping days later it still going strong. Only makes that noise at cold start-up (sub 5°C ish) and gets worse the colder it gets. As soon as the weather warms up it goes away. As soon as the car warms up it goes away. I used to think it was the TOB until about a week ago when it was particularily cold and really loud I poked around a bit and it did seem to be coming from inside the tranny case somewhere. It's got to be a loose tolerance on something. If it were a bad bearing I should have scattered it and the tranny all over the highway by now.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

bone-yard-racing
2GN Member

Post by bone-yard-racing » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:59 pm

You might want to try some fresh tranny fluid

Hudson_Neon
2GN Member

Post by Hudson_Neon » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:20 pm

that, and it's probably just the video but it kinda sounds like an exhaust rattle in the video

Mad_Medeiros
2GN Member

Post by Mad_Medeiros » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:07 pm

I guess the video does no justice...

its not the exhaust, its not the engine... and im sorry matt, I don't know how you can see this is normal... I have yet to hear any car do this.

meh nevermind then

Paul56
2GN Member

Post by Paul56 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:37 pm

If it was me... I'd take it to another dealership for another opinion particularly if you have warranty coverage.

If it was my car making this racket it would be into the garage asap.

BTW, keep documentation on this situation... particularly with respect to dates you visited the dealership, who you spoke with, what you told them and what their response was.
2011 Honda Fit Sport

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:44 pm

I never said that sound was normal, I just said mines been making a similar racket on cold start up for years and has yet to blow up. One day when I get some ambition and time when the car's not in use I'll track it down, but until then it keeps going just fine.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

Mad_Medeiros
2GN Member

Post by Mad_Medeiros » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Honestly, when I first had this problem matt, once the car warmed up it did go away hence why I didn't give a shit, I did drop it..

until now, it doesn't go away lol.. driving around fully warmed up its still banging and clattering, the worst is when people stare at you like you are crazy! hahaha

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:01 pm

holy shit that sounds horrible

good luck getting it fixed
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

Canada
Junior Admin

Post by Canada » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:03 pm

If your not satisfied with the dealer in Waterloo, take it to another dealer?

Seems like common sense, or call Head office and file a complaint that you feel your not satisfied.

Or take it to a private mechanic or a tranny shop, have them troubleshoot it, get a written estimate of whats wrong and take that to the dealership.

oklamopar
2GN Member

Post by oklamopar » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:28 pm

I agree with the others take it to another dealer. If your using an extended warranty, (after factory warranty) some independent shops honor extended warranty. There's a myth that only dealers can do extended warranties. HOGWASH! find someone other than where your taking it.
Mopar Or No Car
GOD Allows U-Turns!
2002 R/T "Blackula" SOLD
1998 Neon Sport. wife's
2003 SRT-4 .FRANKENSTEIN. S1 "SOLD"
1998.5 Ram 3500 Quad-cab 4x2 DWR
1969 Dodge D100 SWB

Mad_Medeiros
2GN Member

Post by Mad_Medeiros » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:44 pm

guys, its not extended..

the car has 41,000 kms.. thats about 27,000 miles.. the damn car has factory warrenty. here's the issue

the car has a transmission has about 8000 kms on it. (almost brand new) current dealer I took it to refuses to fix it because a) the tranny is new it cant be at fault, they already replaced the tranny because of the same noise just not as violent b) they supposbly opened it up and nothing was wrong "yeah right"

the car I bought it from wendells I burned bridges with when I bought the car and won't go back there, and every other dealer I go to looks up the history of service and just seems to want me out the door as quickly as I come in, so I'm left in this crappy loop.

I was thinking of getting the transmission rebuilt from some outside shop, and take pictures of whats broke etc, then send the bill to chrysler, but that probably won't work

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:07 pm

That sounds like crap. Try a synthetic tranny fluid? Might lube up whatever is making that noise. To me is sounds like something is rattling in your engine bay. :lol:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:59 pm

Well, since the tranny is new...

Jack it up on one side, put it in 5th, and gun it. Blow the diff pin, get it towed to the dealer and have them fix it again.

This is a bad idea, I wouldn't do it.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:02 am

Have you called Chrysler customer service in Windsor about your warranty and what it covers? This is what I do when dealers won't cooperate with me and it usually works (although I call Detroit since I'm in the US).
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

speedracer
2GN Member

Post by speedracer » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:18 am

Yeah, the same thing happened to me too. No one could figure out what was wrong. Then one day I took a close look at the engine and noticed that the driver's side of the engine was slightly lower that the passenger side. This problem came about after my clutch was replaced at the dealership.

What actually was happening was the transmission was out of alignment with the engine block. I removed my transmission mount, inserted trans mount insert and the problem went away.
'04 black sxt mtx, crane #12, p+p head, oversize valves, tti lth, iceman, magnum manifold, mpx udp

Paul56
2GN Member

Post by Paul56 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:00 am

Mad_Medeiros wrote:guys, its not extended..

the car has 41,000 kms.. thats about 27,000 miles.. the damn car has factory warrenty. here's the issue

the car has a transmission has about 8000 kms on it. (almost brand new) current dealer I took it to refuses to fix it because a) the tranny is new it cant be at fault, they already replaced the tranny because of the same noise just not as violent b) they supposbly opened it up and nothing was wrong "yeah right"

the car I bought it from wendells I burned bridges with when I bought the car and won't go back there, and every other dealer I go to looks up the history of service and just seems to want me out the door as quickly as I come in, so I'm left in this crappy loop.

I was thinking of getting the transmission rebuilt from some outside shop, and take pictures of whats broke etc, then send the bill to chrysler, but that probably won't work
Ok, then in that situation escalate the whole situation with Chrysler.

Chrysler used to have something called a "Customer Arbitration Board" for warranty issues that were not satisfactorily resolved at the dealership level.

Just because they say they could not find anything wrong doesn't mean there was nothing wrong... it does mean they could not locate the source of the noise.

At this point I'd take it around to a few shops and gather up a few opinions... document those opinions as it may assist you with the resolution with Chrysler.

Sounds to me like the dealership had a hard time the first time around convincing Chrysler to pay them for the warranty work and parts... and they don't want to go through it again.
2011 Honda Fit Sport

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:10 am

It definately is worse than a few weeks ago :shock:
Mine has not gotten that loud just yet, and yesterday I drained the MTF out of the trani, with the metal shavings, flushed it with an engine cleaner and dexron twice, and now I have Mobil 1 ATF multi-vehicle formula in it.
For the heck of it, when they installed your trani what fluid did they fill it with?
Does your trani have a sticker like in the picture below?

CHRYSLER SERVICE CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER
International Customer Relations - 248 512-7730 - EST -
For International Inquiries

National Customer Relations - 800 992-1997
Customer contact number regarding Chrysler Group
Product or dealer sales/service issue.

I'm also going to be emailing this subject to a Chrysler Representitive for review :)

Mad_Medeiros
2GN Member

Post by Mad_Medeiros » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:17 am

the last time the car was a the shop

the dealership told me that chrysler ordered them to try a new fluid? they did this... and it did dick all, and whats worse is.. the sound actually got worse so now I'm guessing they put in some nasty fluid, and some additives because thats what my invoice shows.

I did call chrysler canada in windsor and as I was talking to the representative the asshole was talking to the service manager from the dealership and he was completely siding with him.

he told me this

I will note down what you are saying
the dealership says sounds only occur at idle...
if the sound gets worse go back
^ it has gotten so much worse thats why I was back holy
^my response.. lol

he basically blew me off, so much for calling chrysler.

I have not tried chrysler international but I have a feeling if I call there I will just get told to call chrylser canada.

the car as of tommorow is getting dropped off at a Pioneer Transmission for a free inspection and estimate.

other then that is there anything else I should try calling?

And blackroseracing, yes my car does have that sticker and calls for atf+4

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:35 pm

my car sounds very similar to this. it has ever since the first winter i drove it.

car is 3.5 years old with 76000 miles.

yours does seem a bit louder than mine, unless the video exaggerates the noise a bit.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

Mad_Medeiros
2GN Member

Post by Mad_Medeiros » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:50 pm

^actually in the video is seems quieter then it is, MUCH quieter.

if you listening closely its actually grinding.

the question is, does your sound go away when its warmed up

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:53 pm

to some extent i believe it does, however i haven't driven the car in 5 or so weeks, so i can't remember.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

farmboy
2GN Member

Post by farmboy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:14 pm

i'm sorry to hear you're still having this issue with your car derek. i know, or thought i heard anyway, that you took the car to our friend Greg to have some of the work done...what did he have to say about this?

Mad_Medeiros
2GN Member

Post by Mad_Medeiros » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:34 pm

Hey doug! whats up

yeah I was going to go to greg to do my clutch but I got someone else to do it as it was closer to home, he hasn't said anything about it.

after reading all the bad chrysler websites with chrysler denying warrenty work etc, this is going to be quite difficult.

Return to “Drivetrain”