Vibration

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
latief
2GN Member

Vibration

Post by latief » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:48 pm

Over the years, I have changed every engine mount in my car....both torque struts (multiple times), tranny mount, and even the one in the frame-rail (changed that twice..so much fun)...

anyhow, I am very familiar with the engine alignment procedure according to the FSM. I've done it so many times I could do it blindfolded :D. I have also experimented many times with loosening and realigning mounts trying to make the car smooth and insulated to engine vibration as much as possible.....but i have came to accept that no matter what you do, the neon has a bit more vibration than comparable cars.... what really bugs me is that i have to have the AC on in the summer, and that does increase vibration quite a bit....

I have never driven another neon other than mine, so is this specific to my car?, or is this a neon thing? any additional tricks you know off to smoothen out the subtle vibrations in the steering wheel and cabin?

thanks.....

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:17 pm

well since no one can help u i guess i will offer some advice.

i used to have the same problem. everything would be perfect and alignment perfect. but 2 years ago when i went from stock rims to my 17s with low profile tire it all went magically away. i could do 100 without the sterring wheel even vibrating. now idk if it was the rim or tire that was making it vibrate before because here lately ive had a bad vibration thats killing me and im pretty sure that it had to do with my tires this time. so maybe look into ur tires or rims. and if possible find a friend with 17s and a low profile tire align it and see if it still vibrates. if it doesnt then woohoo problem solved but if it does then dam sorry.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

excon
2GN Member

Post by excon » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:04 pm

I've actually heard the opposite...

Larger wheels with lower profile tires makes the ride harsher...

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:22 pm

excon wrote:I've actually heard the opposite...

Larger wheels with lower profile tires makes the ride harsher...

ehh idk it made my ride awesome cause i had no vibration at the wheel.

latief
2GN Member

Post by latief » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:20 pm

guys,

I mean engine vibration ....nothing to do with the tires here......

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:35 pm

oh well in that case idk.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Vibration

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:35 pm

latief wrote:what really bugs me is that i have to have the AC on in the summer, and that does increase vibration quite a bit.
At idle, mine is pretty much the same.
Driving, there isn't much difference in vibration, just at a stop.

The UDP didn't really change much there.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jrumann59
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by jrumann59 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:58 pm

what motor mounts are you running?
bone-yard-racing wrote:
Remind him of two things for the mustang:
Slow in=Fast out
Fast in=Ambulance out
ImageImage

latief
2GN Member

Post by latief » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:28 am

stock mounts

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:32 am

jrumann59 wrote:what motor mounts are you running?

+1 I assume they're stock, because if you have inserts or solid mounts then that's your answer right there and you would probably already know that.

I've noticed that my car has steadily started vibrating more as I mod it. Even the suspension bushings seemed to increase idle vibration. Even intake and exhaust make the engine itself louder, even at idle, and vibration and sound are directly related. These cars really aren't meant to be comfy and luxurious; they're low dollar commuter cars, that happen to have a well sorted powertrain and suspension from the factory. It is most definitely a "Neon thing", it's just easily intensified with mods.

Of all the threads I've read of yours, several involve your discontent with the uncomfortable results of modifications you make. Perhaps a stock vehicle is better for you? Or something a bit more user friendly and comfortable? I have to tell you, the car is not going to change, it's just being itself.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:54 am

It's very normal, mine vibrated with the a/c on even when it was bone stock. Our torque strut setup and smaller front end magnify the problem a lot, but a lot of compact 4 cyl. suffer from the same problem. I've been it plenty of drag cars that will rattle your teeth, so in comparison ours isn't that bad.

Return to “Drivetrain”