Buzzig noise

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
nofrills05
2GN Member

Buzzig noise

Post by nofrills05 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:42 pm

So returning from Orlando last week I noticed a buzzing noise emanating from my car that was not previously there and that's not my exhaust lol

Its seems to vary with speed of car (rotational) not engine RPM so I have ruled out an exhaust leak or blown muffler/silencer (I have no catalytic converter).

I'll drive along and put the car in neutral (MTX btw), and there will be this hummmmmmm, or buzzing noise that was not there before. Sounds like it coming from engine compartment area (front of car), and there is a slight vibration through the gas pedal. The sound varies with speed of car and if I make a hard left or right turn the noise seems to increase slightly. Sooooo, I'm just looking for suggestions on where to start looking. :banghead: Thanks

I can tell you what it's not: FOG horn from CAI, exhaust

Hudson_Neon
2GN Member

Post by Hudson_Neon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:29 pm

check your tires. one bight be a little chopped

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Or you may have a wheel bearing going bad.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:48 pm

:withstupid:

Thats the direction I'm leaning towards.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

Hudson_Neon
2GN Member

Post by Hudson_Neon » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:29 pm

problem is that if its say the right wheel bearing and you make a right and unload it, the noise gets quieter. his noise gets louder no matter what

nofrills05
2GN Member

Post by nofrills05 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I put it on the rack today...wheel bearing it is!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Hudson_Neon wrote:problem is that if its say the right wheel bearing and you make a right and unload it, the noise gets quieter. his noise gets louder no matter what
That is usually how it works, but not 100% of the time. These neons are very crafty at creating confusing symptoms. :lol:

It will also depend on how much play the bearing has developed too, as to how much affect the turn one direction method has. If it is still tight, it won't load/unload as much as a sloppy one.

We all know the sloppy ones feel the need to make more noise. :twisted:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Drivetrain”