Changing Trans Tom...questions

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
DoubtedNeon
2GN Member

Changing Trans Tom...questions

Post by DoubtedNeon » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:06 pm

so... goin down tom.

can i just switch gearboxes just like that or do i have to remove the bellhousing and switch the throwout bearing/axle seals and shit?

:D :rofl: :ban: :cussing: :slap: :owned: :thefinger: :thumbup: :quotes:

thanks!
Swordfish2Cowboy wrote:They left a pry bar? Well get the prints like they do on CSI, and track those fuckers down. Then cap them.
grindpunk16 wrote: You and about 2 dozen other folks want that cover. It came with the car, and it's all mine.. :twisted: :bootyshake: \:D/

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 pm

change the TOB.

DoubtedNeon
2GN Member

Post by DoubtedNeon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 am

how to link? sorry im not lazy just unable to reach the search button from where im sitting
Swordfish2Cowboy wrote:They left a pry bar? Well get the prints like they do on CSI, and track those fuckers down. Then cap them.
grindpunk16 wrote: You and about 2 dozen other folks want that cover. It came with the car, and it's all mine.. :twisted: :bootyshake: \:D/

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:01 am

As long as both are '01 and up, it is plug and play for the most part. Axle seals are recommended too, as it is a lot of unnecessary work, if one leaks.

TOB: Just take note/pics of how it is mounted, remove and replace. It just has two tabs that hold it in place, and slides off. Be sure to get it back in the tabs is all.

Also don't push in the clutch once the slave cylinder is taken loose from the bell housing.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:27 am

Just call me if you mess something up. I'm home with the kids in the morning, and then working on an awesome car in the afternoon.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

DoubtedNeon
2GN Member

Post by DoubtedNeon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:54 am

ur gonna tell me ur working on an awesome car but not gonna tell me what it is!?
and thanks occasional and erick!

also is there any other seals i CAN change> is there a seal between the gearbox and bellhousing to change?

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:55 am

That's anaerobic sealant. No gaskets there. Although life would be much easier if there were.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

DoubtedNeon
2GN Member

Post by DoubtedNeon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:56 am

apply some or leave it alone? also how do i know if its hd?

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:02 am

If you are removing the bell housing, you have to clean both surfaces and apply a new bead of it. Avoid it if you can. It's a bit of a pain.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:58 pm

why would you remove the bellhousing, and not just unbolt the entire trans and replace it?
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

DoubtedNeon
2GN Member

Post by DoubtedNeon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:33 pm

i am

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:33 pm

fine. then all I have to say is...

2BSK8NG
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

DoubtedNeon
2GN Member

Post by DoubtedNeon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:11 pm

LOL HOW DO I know if i have an hd trans?

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:27 am

If it is a hydraulic clutch trans, it's HD. If the bell housing is missing, post up the trans # off the round tag and I may be able to tell you.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

DoubtedNeon
2GN Member

Post by DoubtedNeon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:00 pm

its an RT... Im wondering if im gonna have more trans problems in the future basically. i want 300-350 out of this car before I start doing asthetics (powdercoating everything) and calling the car completed. I dont wanna do trans swaps like they are coolant flushes.

DoubtedNeon
2GN Member

Post by DoubtedNeon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:54 am

so the trans was hydrolic, one of the bearings busted in the trans and started throwing bits of bearing around in the trans like little barrels of death. bellhousings (for some reason) still ok, theres a small crack, but its still sealed. the crack is hairline and 2/3 the way through.

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:27 pm

DoubtedNeon wrote:its an RT... Im wondering if im gonna have more trans problems in the future basically. i want 300-350 out of this car before I start doing asthetics (powdercoating everything) and calling the car completed. I dont wanna do trans swaps like they are coolant flushes.
I can tell you right now, the T-350 might hold 300-400 for a little while, but I would all but guarantee a significantly shorter life span. No way to say how long, too many variables. Talk to people who've made that kind of power through a T-350 (I can only think of a couple in existence).
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

DoubtedNeon
2GN Member

Post by DoubtedNeon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:29 pm

thought everyone would want to know im done with the swap, took ALL DAY because I had to do it by myself... its amazing how many cars I work on for friends and when i need help no one is around. lol.

everything is perfect with it, i installed that bearing yesterday even tho a runner was damaged.. I had my dad look at it, Being an industrial engineer I trust what he said about it... New race however so it should be fine, i flipped it around yesterday and their was no extra noise.

Lets hope this one lasts a little longer! anyone need trans parts?!

Return to “Drivetrain”