4-speed to 3-speed swap

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
Gnuserup
2GN Member

4-speed to 3-speed swap

Post by Gnuserup » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Either I have not found it or there really is no thread about that...

Today I met a guy with a bad transmission on his recently bought 2001 bux neon over here. This neon should have a 4-speed ATX on, but somebody swapped it to a 3-speed time ago I noticed. So he was very astonished when I told him that fact :shock:

He bought this neon with this faulty trany for cheap and hoped to fix the trany easily to have a new dd.

What I noticed is - they put a 31th in, swapped the needed plugs and left the rest as it is - PCM should be the original one, the throttlebody, radiator and double-fan as well. There was no kickdown-wire. Because I have never seen the TCM on a 4-speed I did not found it here, at least I was looking on the drivers side for it, but now I think, it has to be on the passengers side front anywhere ?

At the end it looks like that this neon had the typical radiatorproblem which blew the 4-speed, they changed the radiator (it´s an aftermarket one on) and put the 3-speed in, but this one now is also blown (milky fluid, no reverse and/ or bad noise). Unfortunatelly no known history. Maybe they failed doing it right...

He had some codes - one iirc was P1698 and should mean, that the TCM is missing (at least no signal) - have to ask him again for the other codes he wrote down somewhere.

So the question is, what might be needed to do a functioning downgrade from 4 to 3-speed ? Might it be better to either fix the faulty 3-speed or get another 3-speed and fix the rest what they left or reinstall a 4-speed and repair the shit they done before ?
btw - he don´t want to do a manual-swap :D

Damn - this is the second 2nd I saw and heard of where a downgrade had been done. The black-body I got time ago is the rest of a swap like that, but that guy was doing his job a lot better I know now, as he really swapped all, incl. subframe, engine and wiring.
a neon - what else ?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:55 pm

Cost wise, it would be best to get another 31th and source an '01 TB and kick down cable.

Otherwise he is looking at buying a 41te, the TCM, and the needed connectors to make it all work again.

IDK about over there, but used 31th ATX's can be had for a reasonable price here.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:00 am

Maybe that´s the reason why they did it here as well.

Do you think there may be some electric issues left - like PCM swap to avoid a missing signal from trany or the absent TCM ?

The CV-axles may fit anyway, or do you think they might have been swapped or just in case, they have to be swapped ?
a neon - what else ?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:11 am

A 2001 ATX PCM should work to get rid of any CEL's and make the TC lock up work properly, too.

Axle shafts, I,m not 100% sure on, I'm sure that info is somewhere here, or on neons.org for sure.

Well the passenger (RH) 41te shaft is different, as there is no VSS worm drive gear like the 31th uses. But the LH might be the same.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

Return to “Drivetrain”