Tranny or something else.... Lost

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
NewarkVw
2GN Member

Tranny or something else.... Lost

Post by NewarkVw » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:23 am

For the last week my girlfriends car has been having issues and Im a little lost and working to full time jobs dont have a ton of time to tinker with it.

Its a 2003 Neon 2.0 auto sxt 94k miles

When she drives the car at first there is a semi loud sound and a vibration only when the car is in drive. When in reverse its fine, neutral its fine, and after she drives it a while the sound and vibration go away completely. I had thought her tranny was going bad so I test drove it, got it to 70 and the tranny shafts smooth as butter and the fluid looks and smells as good as ever. Could it be something else? IDK motor mount, sensor or something? Car shows no codes.

Can anyone give me a clue? I know very little about neon's. Im a Vw guy.

Thanks

Also if its the tranny whats a fair price to have one swapped? I no longer have a garage to work on her car so I will have to pay to have it done.

I should add when revving the engine it dose not vibrate any worse or anything. In neutral not at all.

NewarkVw
2GN Member

Post by NewarkVw » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:02 am

UPDATE

So I had a few minutes between jobs today to test drive the car. It dose not vibrate in anything but drive. When revving the engine it dose have a odd idle sorta it will go up and on the way down stop at about 1500 and sit for a minute then wind down.

Also per my girlfriend it mostly only vibrates and is loud on ground that is not flat. If you drive on flat ground long enough the noise and vibrations go away till the next hill.

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:12 am

Have the control arms been swapped or the bushings refurbished recently ?
The brakes, cv-axles ?

Maybe try to get over the next hill fast enough and shift into Neutral-Position before. If the noise still comes in "N" it might not be the trany.

If the LCAs have been done before, try to retorque the screws (maybe no bad idea to check the torque of them anyway).
a neon - what else ?

freelancer1988
2GN Member

Post by freelancer1988 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:25 am

It is only when you are pulling.... correct? Coasting and it seems fine. Is there a noticeable vibration thru the steering wheel when idling?

If the above statement is correct, then It is most likely part of two things.

1. Motor and transmission mounts are sagging/bad

2. Your G/F's bushings and/or ball joints in the LCA (lower control arms) are crap. You might also want to check the wheel bearings and cv axles. One of my boots came loose. Just check it for play around the joints if it looks okay.

I just replaced my motor mount (NOT THE TORQUE MOUNTS) and my trans mount. The vibration in the steering and when in gear is now gone, but I still have the pulling vibration problem. It is a little less though. I am pretty positive the rest of my vibration is in the control arms. Sounds similar to your problem

I am in the process of getting new wheel bearings, new cv shaft, lower control arm bushings, and ball joints. Good luck and if you need any help, just let me know.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:28 am

For reference, the motor mount is in the middle of the upper and lower mounts, held in with a torx bolt. That helps a lot from what I understand, get a new one and fill it with epoxy before installation.
So many neons so little time.

NewarkVw
2GN Member

Post by NewarkVw » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:01 pm

So I had a little time today thanks everyone. First I swapped the cam sensor because the car was lagging a little "diff issue" which fixed that. The ball joints have never been replaced as far as I know but we did buy the car used. I have it down to the middle motor mount. I do actually have a new set of uppers that I got for free Ill swap in tonight. This is is almost as much trouble as a VW.

Thanks again printed off the reply's taking them outside with me now.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:07 pm

freelancer1988 wrote: 2. Your G/F's bushings and/or ball joints in the LCA (lower control arms) are crap.

Hey, hey, now! I think that would be the neon's issues, not hers. :lol:
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

freelancer1988
2GN Member

Post by freelancer1988 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:11 pm

occasional demons wrote:
freelancer1988 wrote: 2. Your G/F's bushings and/or ball joints in the LCA (lower control arms) are crap.

Hey, hey, now! I think that would be the neon's issues, not hers. :lol:
lol :cheers1:

Also, if the middle motor mount is crap, it will possibly take out the torque mounts you said you got for free. My motor mount was soo bad that it destroyed the upper one within a month I was told. The previous owner thought the torque mounts were all holding the motor up. :banghead:

NewarkVw
2GN Member

Post by NewarkVw » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:52 am

So I replaced the upper motor mount and now instead of vibrate as soon as you put it in drive it only vibrates when your actually driving. Ill replace the lower Saturday morning and see if that help.

Is the middle really that bad to change if I have to? How long should I give my self?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:13 am

NewarkVw wrote:
Is the middle really that bad to change if I have to? How long should I give my self?
Never done it, 4 to 6 hours. Or less.
Bill

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:07 pm

easy when engine is out :lol:

a neon - what else ?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Just be sure to trace around it, so the new one goes back in the exact spot. ;)
Bill

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

NewarkVw
2GN Member

Post by NewarkVw » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:27 pm

I picked up a lower mount today, Ill throw it in tomorrow. If I have to do the middle, Ill have to order it and it will be here Tuesday. If I do the middle Ill snap some photos for people searching in the future.

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:37 pm

NewarkVw wrote:I picked up a lower mount today, Ill throw it in tomorrow. If I have to do the middle, Ill have to order it and it will be here Tuesday. If I do the middle Ill snap some photos for people searching in the future.
That would be cool..... Please do !

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

NewarkVw
2GN Member

Post by NewarkVw » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Future reference the NAPA brand lower motor mount has not way to adjust it at all.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:56 pm

There is no adjustment on the lower torque strut. All adjustments are done on the upper.
Bill

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

Return to “Drivetrain”