Front End Making A Sound Resembling A Washer Machine!

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
illriginalized
2GN Member

Front End Making A Sound Resembling A Washer Machine!

Post by illriginalized » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:41 am

So somewhere in the front end, between the center and the wheel, there's a sound that speeds up as I speed up and slows down as I slow down, and for the most part becomes even louder as I slow down.

I can't tell if this sound has always been there (under my possession of the car) as I just recently did my upper/lower torque struts which killed about 90% of the vibration in the car. Now that I can actually hear things besides vibration, I've discovered this sound but I think it's actually new. And I have a feeling maybe my friend might have screwed something up while lifting/lowering my motor to install the mounts (and the timing belt, water pump, and timing belt tensioner + camshaft seal).

Here's the sound clip.. it sounds literally like a washer machine on the final spin cycle:

(Disregard loud stupid muffler on automatic tranny.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EaEAsqhEIM

Does anyone know what this is? I'm tempted to just replace the CV Axles but would regret it if it had nothing to do with the CV axle.

Also I think the last time I ever heard that sound was because of bad wheel bearings? Does that sound about right? It's only on the driver side but it doesn't even sound like it's coming directly from the wheel.. unless it's sending that sound towards the center of my car.

illriginalized
2GN Member

Post by illriginalized » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:18 am

lulz

Fuuuuu sounds like wheel bearing it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilVew4cfnU

Mine sounds like that but not that extreme!

So.. is there a, "best" or highly recommended wheel bearing hub manufacturer I should look into?

Edit: Is it a hub (that comes with bearings already packed, I assume) or just the bearings? When I did a search for it on OReilly's online store, it shows hubs and also just the bearings:

Hub:

Bearings:

nerox
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by nerox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:03 am

That hub & bearing assembly is for the back, the fronts are just a bearing pressed into the knuckle
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member UK#1

illriginalized
2GN Member

Post by illriginalized » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:21 am

nerox wrote:That hub & bearing assembly is for the back, the fronts are just a bearing pressed into the knuckle

Fuuuuu the rears are so much easier. I need to look up a how-to to see what all needs to be unbolted.. I might as well start collecting all the parts involved so I can replace them or upgrade them with better bushings. When it's time to do the bearings.

Guess I'm gonna have to ride out with bad bearings for a while.

nerox
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by nerox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:38 am

My guess would be:

- undo hub nut and move shaft out the way
- unbolt trackrod end
- unbolt ball joint
- unbolt suspension at the bottom
- remove calipers & disc
- Take out knuckle
- press out bearing
- press in new bearing
- reassemble
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member UK#1

illriginalized
2GN Member

Post by illriginalized » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:33 pm

effin' lulz...

Disregard. My mechanic (family friend) must have a slight case of memory loss.. He forgot to freakin' tighten down the lug nuts on my driver front wheel. I went outside and pressed on the wheel with my foot to discover the top three lug nuts were all loose. Had to tighten down all 5. <_<;

So guys, remember, if you think it's a wheel bearing especially after that wheel was removed.. make sure the lug nuts are on and tight -.-

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:31 am

The drive hubs and bearings can be purchased separately. That was actually a driven hub (Front) that you posted. The rear would not have splines in it. ;)

Plus the rear hub has the bearing pressed into the hub. The front has the bearing pressed onto the hub.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Drivetrain”