what's a good clutch to use for a 2.0L Neon?

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
Darkness
2GN Member

what's a good clutch to use for a 2.0L Neon?

Post by Darkness » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:23 pm

I've searched for and read numerous threads over the past few days about various clutches for the Neon. People have recommended clutch units out of the PT Cruiser, the Stratus R/T, and a few others, but it seems like all of them were directed at the 2.4 owners. What would be a good clutch for a daily driven stock motor 2001 2.0 SE?

I should mention that I have the complete suspension swapped in there from an '05 Skittle, and I'm sure that the larger wheel and tire combo is putting more stress on the clutch so whatever you guys recommend should take that into account. Oddly, the stock clutch held up for well over 100k miles and at least 60 percent of that was on the big wheels, but the new clutch barely held up over 30k.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:40 pm

A pt or a stratus clutch, stock engagement, higher holding power. Great for stock or modded.
So many neons so little time.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Actually, about the only difference between the PT, Stratus and regular neon is the pressure plate clamping load.

All modular neon clutch discs are 9.125" O.D. unless specified as the smaller diameter from the manufacturer. The PT and Stratus discs are also 9.125".

The Stratus needs the proper TOB to go with the assembly, but other than that, IDK if aftermarket clamping loads are any better than the aftermarket PT units. It's not something they really advertise.

The other factor is what the materials are in the disc, and how aggressive they are. Most oem type replacements are organic, which is perfectly fine for DD use. But i'm sure the composition can be tweaked to affect how well it grabs/slips.

The biggest factor is taking it easy on it for the 500 mile break in period. Maybe a little less for heavy city driving, and more for a lot of strictly highway, as you obviously don't use it for steady cruising.

As for the wheel tire combo, a normal take off won't be affected drastically by heavier wheels, but bigger diameter tires would require a bit more slipping. Heavier wheels will take more throttle to accelerate, but the clutch should be engaged by then.

But if the tire wheel combo is the stock size for the '05, it isn't really much difference from the 14's on the earlier neons.

I have 205 50 16's, and there isn't a huge difference from the 185 65 14's
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

Darkness
2GN Member

Post by Darkness » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:57 am

I have the 17 inch SRT wheels, so we're talking a 3 inch difference using the stock 205 tire - thats pretty substantial. It works out to about a 10 percent reduction in the final drive ratio, I think (I'm not a physics expert, and I don't play one on a TV show anymore). That is putting some stress on the diff and ultimately the clutch.

Searching the RA catalog, I found a whole pile of replacements, and a lot of them say they're 8.5 inch packages. I did find one from Sachs, the K7013101, which states a 9 inch OD. Its $172 from RA and includes the flywheel, so would that be the one to pick up?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:44 pm

A three inch taller wheel doesn't necessarily translate to a thee inch taller tire.

I doubt three inch taller tires would fit under the wheel wells. You would be looking at about a 26.75" tall tire.

Stock SRT tires are only ~25.07" tall

About 33mm taller than the 14's About 1.3" taller. Not as huge as you were thinking. :lol:
Bill
Help support 2GN!

Darkness
2GN Member

Post by Darkness » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Ah, I thought it was a 185/60, not a /65 ratio tire, hence my math was off. Thanks for pointing that out.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:32 pm

Well if you want to upgrade the clutch to handle the extra tire, HERE is the thread with the Stratus pn's from RA.
Bill
Help support 2GN!

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:35 pm

I have a stock PT Clutch, for what it is....I do beat on it from time to time now that i have the maddog shifter, hard not to hit gears. I wouldnt hesitate spending more money for something staged, but ive never had a staged for DD so idk.
Project 003. Just building a Daily Driver with some upgrades.
For Sale Thread | CarDomain | FeedBack
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies Club" Member #119

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:51 pm

I have a stage 1 Spec. It is the same PN for the neon or PT n/a. I got about 80,000 miles out of it. I am looking at just rebuilding it with a Stratus PP and disc. The billet steel flywheel is too sexy to toss. :lol:

Too aggressive with a DD will lead to less life, mainly because you have to feather it more than you would a more oem flavor. It is that, or rip the tires every time you take off. Getting the tires to grip in slippery stuff is even a bigger challenge.

For a daily stock hp neon, I would go with the Stratus clutch and call it a day. And only that due to the tire size.

With the 185 65 14's a regular clutch, will do fine.
Bill
Help support 2GN!

Darkness
2GN Member

Post by Darkness » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:04 am

Bumping an ancient thread here...

I ended up buying the Sachs K70131-01 clutch kit shortly after the last post. And then it sat on the shelf in my garage for the entire year while I attended to other projects. (If I listed them, you'd lose interest long before I got to the end of the list).
Then just a few days ago multiple things started to go wrong with the car. I added up everything I would need to get the car in top working order and realized I was looking at a significant downpayment on a new ride, so I decided to jump ship. The Neon is now gone, but the clutch is still here, NIB, if anyone wants to buy it.
I'd post it for sale, but somewhere along the way in the past 11 months the admin installed a 40 post entry level on the FS/FT folder. Kinda silly considering one of my earliest posts here was when I sold the complete suspension from under this car, but its their board and I respect the rules.

PM me if anyone wants pics and to talk a deal. Its going up on Craigslist, hoping for a local sale.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:14 am

If you can, edit this post (link below), complying with the current rules for location, pics, info, etc.

I don't have a problem with the post count, and would consider you grandfathered in.

viewtopic.php?p=325957&highlight=#325957

I would think since you have already posted, it would let you edit the first post. It may block you from making a new thread tho. You could also PM Canada,or racer12306, to make it so you can post in the FS section if that doesn't work for some reason.

And just an update: The Spec flywheel was so unevenly worn, it is totally unusable again. It is just a pretty piece of ballast. Makes me so glad I paid less than what the PT clutch was going for at the time. I would be truly disappointed if I had paid full price. Their higher level clutches may be better, but for te cost of even a Stage 1, I would expect a bit more.
Bill
Help support 2GN!

Darkness
2GN Member

Post by Darkness » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:41 am

You sir, are a genius. I will attempt an edit after I get done with today's festivities.

Weird about your flywheel wear, but its not unique. I don't think parts are being made to the highest standards anymore. The Luk clutch that was in our Neon when we got rid of it was only a year old when it started slipping. I was gentle on it during the break-in time, to be sure. I asked the shop owner if it was improperly installed and he said he was mystified by it, because they're a single unit, nothing to install wrong. He'd had a rash of bad units, specifically from Luk, which is why I bought the Sachs this time. They're good enough for BMW, so I figured good enough for a Neon.

The factory unit - say whatever insults you want about it - had over 130,000 miles on it when it went, and that was just because of something really boneheaded I'd done. I pulled into a parking space and as I went to shift it into first, the shifter went totally slack. The shift cables had broken, and the car was in 5th gear. I actually drove it to his shop like that, taking off from stops at about 5k.

It wasn't until I got there, with smoke coming off the bottom of the car, that I realized that before I got in the car I could have just popped the hood, reached down and manually put the thing in a lower gear and saved what was left of the clutch. :banghead:

Anger/frustration makes us do stupid things... sometimes resourceful things, but mostly stupid things.

Return to “Drivetrain”