Transmission speed sensor question

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
Moparguy4
2GN Member

Transmission speed sensor question

Post by Moparguy4 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:23 pm

My speedometer is dropping to near zero while driving and it sometimes does not go into 4 gear. Once it was stuck in 2 gear. Got the classic P700 code.
One guy I talked to said to replace the tranny speed sensors both of them? He wasn't sure if there was an input and an output sensor. From what I can tell it is just the speed sensor that is just under the tranny cooler lines, correct? It is in my 2005 SXT with the 4speed overdrive automatic trans.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed May 15, 2013 12:02 am

Most likely just the output sensor. IIRC, it has two wires. The output sensor is also the VSS sensor, so you are also correct. Not 100% sure, but it is in that general area towards the driver side wheel. Double check the wiring also.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

Moparguy4
2GN Member

Post by Moparguy4 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Thank OD. 1 piece at a time I will have a new car LOL.
Just did rear breaks (shoe came disbonded), wheel cylinders, and 2 motor mounts....

Moparguy4
2GN Member

Post by Moparguy4 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:35 pm

OK I just got done replacing the sensors (both of them). Do they have a torque rating? For now I just installed them and snugged them up. didn't want to go too tight they are plastic.

I pulled the air box out, real easy to get to from the top. Maybe since I am half way there I should put on a different air intake! Must resist modifications...

Return to “Drivetrain”