will an 02 mtx replace an 03 mtx?

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
akirony
2GN Member

will an 02 mtx replace an 03 mtx?

Post by akirony » Mon May 20, 2013 9:38 am

Im pretty sure it will. everything looks the same. I found an 02 and 00 mtx in the local j/y sunday. Wanting to replace my 03 mtx that has no 2nd. Also is there any way to check a mtx and see if it has all its gears? Dont wanna get screwed.
Have car-have car problems. Have srt4-have speed problems

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Mon May 20, 2013 10:14 am

INVUJerry answered my question in a post about 30pgs back (thanks). Its hard to search at work. But is there anyway to check the gear engagement before I pull it? Dont want to end up with the same problem. I know some will say pull the case but I barely passed my trans class 4 yrs ago in school, so im usually lost with trans repair other than clutch install and whatnots.

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Mon May 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Best you can do is manually shift into all 6 gears with it sitting there. You'll be able to hear reverse, it sounds way different since it's an actual gear that moves and kind of clanks into place. Other than that, gotta cross your fingers if you aren't going to take it apart.

Give ya $125 shipped for the 03 trans.
COME TO MY NEXT NEON MEET!!!

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Tue May 21, 2013 8:29 am

chipdogg wrote:Best you can do is manually shift into all 6 gears with it sitting there. You'll be able to hear reverse, it sounds way different since it's an actual gear that moves and kind of clanks into place. Other than that, gotta cross your fingers if you aren't going to take it apart.

Give ya $125 shipped for the 03 trans.
???? You'd want it even with the 2nd gear synchro stripped to russia? I'll try to figure it out cause I've never shipped anything let alone a trans. I'd try to fix it but I keep remembering EP in a vid saying the 03 wasn't rebuildable. But it's now my dd so I couldn't get rid of it yet until I got the replacement. Would the axle in gear test work? Put it in gear and it should get harder to turn by hand right?

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Tue May 21, 2013 8:10 pm

I rebuild them, I'd use it for parts, mainly the input shaft and the 1-2 gears, the case, and the 3-4 and 5-r synchros.

That test won't tell you much, unless the gears have no teeth. But if they didn't, they usually exit out the side of the case somewhere. There's not much extra room.

Drain the fluid if it has any to see what it looks like, and pull off the rear steel cover and shine a light in the shafts and see if there's debris in them. Not much else you can do without tearing it apart.

Or you can buy a rebuilt one from me, even have LSDs in stock!

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Tue May 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Tempting. Hmmm... I may pm you in a couple of months. Next time I go to the j/y I'll try that. I just want a 2nd gear to shift to in traffic. Otherwise I have to completely stop to shift into first then back to 3rd. And I'd gladly ship you my trans when I get another one.

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Wed May 22, 2013 8:53 am

If you're worried about waiting for one to get built, I have about 30 cores or so, can put one together this weekend with an lsd and have it out early next week, then you ship yours up in the crate I send you with your trans in it. Easy as pie.

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Wed May 22, 2013 10:34 am

That'd be awesome but that's the least of my worries. I'm worried about being able to pay for one. End of the month all of the bills are rolling in. That's why I'd want a couple of months to save up.

Return to “Drivetrain”