Doing a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT tranny fluid flush & fill

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
timk225
2GN Member

Doing a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT tranny fluid flush & fill

Post by timk225 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:33 pm

My 5 SXT ATX will be getting some maintenance done soon, and on the list is a complete transmission flush and fill with a cleaned oil pan, magnet, and new filter, plus a new front mount tranny cooler and taking the stock radiator ATF cooler out of the loop.

Old Mopars had a drain plug in the torque converter, and you could easily get 2 quarts out of a 727 converter alone. Since the Neon ATX doesn't have that, I am wondering how to do the most complete fluid change possible.

Simple math shows that if the ATX holds 9 quarts and I get 5 out between draining the pan and cooler lines, then 2 go arounds of drain fill drain fill should get me roughly 80% to 85% clean fresh fluid. But that's not good enough for me.

The more fluid I can get out on each drain, the better. The more efficient the whole process becomes.

Some ideas:

1. Run the engine at idle with the ATX in Neutral with the cooler lines unhooked, so fluid comes out as I pour fresh fluid in. That should get the old fluid out of the converter, at least mostly.

2. Drain as much as I can, drop pan and clean pan and magnet, leave old filter in for now, replace pan, refill, drive a couple days, drain as much as I can, completely clean pan and magnet again, replace filter, refill, done.

3. Go to dealer for their automated machine power flush BS. Highly unlikely! Not only is it overpriced, I just don't believe it can do as complete a job as they claim it can.

I went to a local Chrysler Dealer service dept. today to ask questions and get prices. Their standard power flush was $168. They claimed 16 quarts of fluid, then cleaner, then fluid would be forced throughout the ATX, then a fresh fluid refill.

What about dropping the pan to clean it and the magnet and replace the filter? "Oh, you don't need that". YES YOU DO if you want the job done right, YOU 'TARD!!!! :cussing: I am not the ordinary average customer who knows nothing about Mopars, and I am offended to be treated like one!
:banghead:
So to further ridicule themselves, they said they'd drop the pan and clean it and change the filter and reseal it for $113.

Or do all the above for $282 total if it is all done at once.

The Chrysler dealer has their ATF+4 in stock for $8.50 a quart or $33.50 a gallon. The local NAPA store had the best price on their NAPA brand ATF+4 for $5.79 a quart, or Valvoline ATF+4 for $6.99 a quart. I presume it is all the same stuff if it has to meet the ATF+4 standard, right?

So assuming I get 15 quarts of NAPA ATF+4, that's $92.06, with 6% sales tax included. With 15 quarts I can totally drain and fill three times, which should get me 95% fresh fluid or better. Then the filter would be replaced, the pan would be cleaned, and the new transmission fluid cooler would be installed, and all for under $200 total.

I sure do like to do things the hard way! :thumbup:

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:54 pm

5-speed swap
COME TO MY NEXT NEON MEET!!!

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Shoot, I'd hook you up on a trans flush if you were around here. We charge $129.99. It's pretty legit, but on a high mileage car it doesn't clean well. Best when the car is on time for its Trans Fluid service.

Or yes, 5speed swap. Then all you need to buy are 3 quarts of Mobil 1 10-40 High Mileage.
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

trojmn
2GN Member

Re: Doing a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT tranny fluid flush & fil

Post by trojmn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:35 pm

timk225 wrote:1. Run the engine at idle with the ATX in Neutral with the cooler lines unhooked, so fluid comes out as I pour fresh fluid in.
thats essentially how i flush the power steering. keep pouring until it comes out clean. What do you mean you haven't flushed your p/S yet?
timk225 wrote:That should get the old fluid out of the converter, at least mostly.
I would be far more worried about the integrity of the trans cooler built into the radiator. they tend to leak/mix with coolant and ruin the trans far more than even 2qts of old fluid would.
timk225 wrote:2. Drain as much as I can, drop pan and clean pan and magnet, CHANGE filter in it, replace pan, refill,done.
I would GUESS that the cooling circuit on the trans pump sends the fluid from the converter where it would be hottest? either way you could do like the p/s flush and route the cooler lines to two separate buckets. one full of clean fluid and one for the "dirty." and run it till it pumps "clean". Though after a filter change you may not be able to see the difference.
03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

timk225
2GN Member

Post by timk225 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:38 am

I'll be taking the in-radiator cooler out of the loop and installing a front mount cooler.

No flush machine can clean the metal and gunk out of the pan, off the magnet, and replace the filter. So while a flush machine MAY be able to replace all the fluid, it still isn't doing the job right.

Do it once, do it right. During the flush proceedure, drop the pan and filter and magnet and clean and replace it all. There's no other way.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:59 am

chipdogg wrote:5-speed swap
I came to the same solution for my OB.

trojmn
2GN Member

Post by trojmn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:28 pm

timk225 wrote:During the flush proceedure, drop the pan and filter and magnet and clean and replace it all. There's no other way.
that was what i was meaning by
and run it till it pumps "clean". Though after a filter change you may not be able to see the difference.
drop pan, change filter, fill it up, then flush it again. Though i still think this is overkill.

What is your maintenance interval? which if you're worried about the diluted old fluid you could also bump up the maintenance interval. surely you are at least following the servere duty cycle?
03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:42 pm

Standard maintenance interval Schedule A, is never.

Schedule B is:
It is for vehicles that are
operated under the conditions that are listed below
and at the beginning of the schedule.
² Day or night temperatures are below 32°F (0°C).
² Stop and go driving.
² Extensive engine idling.
² Driving in dusty conditions.
² Short trips of less than 10 miles (16.2 km).
² More than 50% of your driving is sustained high
speeds during hot weather, above 90°F (32°C).
² Trailer towing.†L
² Taxi, police or delivery service (commercial services).†
L
² Off-road or desert operation.
Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter
every 60,000 miles (96 000 km) if the vehicle is usually
operated under one or more of the conditions
marked with an L

Change the manual transaxle fluid every 48,000
miles (77 000 km)

If you want an easy way to get a little more fluid out, with the pan off, pull, the ASD relay and crank the engine over. Works better without the spark plugs.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:55 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:
If you want to go fast, yeah, I'd do this. If you enjoy a 17 second car, I'd keep it auto.
So many neons so little time.

trojmn
2GN Member

Post by trojmn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:28 pm

INVUJerry wrote:
sidepipe87 wrote:
If you want to go less slow, yeah, I'd do this. If you enjoy a 17 second car, I'd keep it auto.
FTFY
03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:32 pm

trojmn wrote:
INVUJerry wrote:
sidepipe87 wrote: I came to the same solution for my OB.
If you want to go less slow, yeah, I'd do this. If you enjoy a 17 second car, I'd keep it auto.
FTFY
I was trying to be a little nice about since I harp on any "want to make my N/A ATX NGC car fast" thread with this.
So many neons so little time.

Return to “Drivetrain”