Transmission cooler

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
mickeytopher
2GN Member

Transmission cooler

Post by mickeytopher » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:01 am

I just noticed that on the wife's 02 Neon that the previous owner completely bypassed the transmission cooler on the radiator and hooked it up to an aftermarket tranny cooler :banghead: Are there replacement lines out there or would a couple of lengths of rubber fuel line work.

mickeytopher
2GN Member

Post by mickeytopher » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:12 am

...assuming that the original transmission cooler on the radiator even works

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:53 am

the aftermarket one should be fine honestly, even better off if one decides to burst. if the factory one bursts internally the two fluids can mix resulting in a ruined transmission. if they're separate like they are now, that wont happen. but if you're dead set on puting it back to stock, yes rubber fuel line will work.

IMO the previous owner just did you a favor :thumbup:
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:01 pm

The only thing you may consider is an oil thermostat if you live where it gets cold. (Below 60ºF)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-1060/overview/

The 41te does not like the fluid to be too cold.

I have used those t'stats a couple of times, and they have worked flawlessly. Since the cooler is there, you might only need to spend for the perma cool unit and some hose barbs to make it better overall.

The ATX will get up to temp faster, and maintain a good 180º operating range. It will keep it from overheating, and from sludging up.

Justin is correct in that they did you a favor. It is cheap insurance against a $1500, or more, transmission repair.

As far as the rubber line, just tell them what you are buying it for. They will hopefully sell you the proper stuff. You will need to get a little extra if you install the t'stat.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Re: Transmission cooler

Post by NickKo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:37 am

mickeytopher wrote:I just noticed that on the wife's 02 Neon that the previous owner completely bypassed the transmission cooler on the radiator and hooked it up to an aftermarket tranny cooler :banghead: Are there replacement lines out there or would a couple of lengths of rubber fuel line work.
I would keep the aftermarket cooler regardless if the one in the radiator is leaking or not - just for extra cooling capacity.

However, like Occasional and r/tguy have pointed out, the factory radiator has a known issue in that the built-in trans cooler is prone to failure and internal leakage - Causing antifreeze to contaminate the transmission.

If you don't like the looks of the aftermarket cooler, or the previous owner did a 'hinkey-looking' or sloppy installation, consider getting another auxiliary trans cooler, and / or re-mounting it, the "right" way. :thumbup:
I've tried to mount mine, so that it looks 'clean', and not sloppy.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Return to “Drivetrain”