groaning slow speed turn

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
mickeytopher
2GN Member

groaning slow speed turn

Post by mickeytopher » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:17 pm

When I make a slow speed turn I get a rurh rurh rurh. Could It be a bad CV joint??? If so how much of a pain is it to swap one out?

A@ron
2GN Member

Post by A@ron » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:38 pm

a bad CV joint would have noise during all movement I believe. Does the noise only happen or happen more when you're turning one way vs another? If so it's most likely a wheel bearing.

mickeytopher
2GN Member

Post by mickeytopher » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:50 pm

I'll pay more attention on the way home, but I think there is a grinding/ humming noise while driving.
I know the grinding noise is louder when I turn to the right I believe, and when I take off for about a mile or so then I quiets down a little.

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:59 am

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f ... ilit=wheel

Definitely wheel bearing. Not hard to do if you have access to a hydraulic press and can remove the knuckle. Also good time to check your ball joints, tie rod ends, axle seals, and control arm bushings since you're halfway there when you remove knuckle.
COME TO MY NEXT NEON MEET!!!

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

A@ron
2GN Member

Post by A@ron » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 am

Some of the auto parts stores here have a press and will press bearings in/out for a small fee. Might be worth checking around with them if you don't own one.

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:48 am

A@ron wrote:Some of the auto parts stores here have a press and will press bearings in/out for a small fee. Might be worth checking around with them if you don't own one.
I'd make sure they press it right, if you don't support the inner race when pressing in the hub, it'll go in just fine while damaging the bearing. It'll make noise shortly after.

They like to sell the bearing and hub assembly already together too, there's no way to press bearing into bore of knuckle without damaging it if hub is already installed.
COME TO MY NEXT NEON MEET!!!

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:17 pm

When I did mine I just called up a local shop and asked who they use to press in wheel bearings. They gave me the name and I just pulled the knuckle off and took it to them.

If you wait too long you may end up having to replace the hub as well. Once the bearing goes the hub isn't far behind.

mickeytopher
2GN Member

Post by mickeytopher » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks guys...I'm thinking wheel bearing now also. It's giving a continuous grinding noise. It's parked for now, but I'm taking it in tonight to get worked on.

Return to “Drivetrain”