What can cause those leak

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
janson
n00b

What can cause those leak

Post by janson » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:33 pm

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:06 am

It could be any number of things, but one thing that comes to mind, is the cam sensor seal.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:52 am

First verify if it's an engine leak or transmission leak. Which one is low on oil? Check trans by turning tires to right and pulling plug above driver's side axle and seeing if oil is to bottom of the hole.

And brake fluid too. Can be leak from master cylinder area.
COME TO MY NEXT NEON MEET!!!

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

janson
n00b

Post by janson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:02 pm

chipdogg wrote:First verify if it's an engine leak or transmission leak. Which one is low on oil? Check trans by turning tires to right and pulling plug above driver's side axle and seeing if oil is to bottom of the hole.

And brake fluid too. Can be leak from master cylinder area.
I recently had my clutch replaced and I believe it is tranny fluid leaking but I can't find where it is leaking from

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Well unless the case was separated, changing the clutch normally wouldn't cause it to seep from the mating surfaces.

Get a paper towel and soak up where it is leaving a drop suspended to see what color it is.

Looks to be a 2000, so it would (hopefully) look like relatively clean engine oil if the factory MTX fluid is still in there.

Were the axle seals replaced when the clutch was done? It would take some turbulent air to get the oil that far, but it is not impossible.

Other than that, the previous suggestions are good places to check.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:39 am

That'd be a lot of oil coming from the trans if there's no crack. Sitting there, no oil is up top. It's all sitting in bottom half of trans.Check fluid levels and see which one Iis low. Engine oil, trans fluis, brake fluid. Clean it off with brake clean and paper towels, and go from there.
COME TO MY NEXT NEON MEET!!!

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:10 pm

Isn't there a vent on the top that will puke out fluid if you overfill the trans?

Hopefully it's not the rear main seal, but I think the clutch would be slipping if that was the case.

jrumann59
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by jrumann59 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:52 pm

Donkeypuncher wrote:Isn't there a vent on the top that will puke out fluid if you overfill the trans?

Hopefully it's not the rear main seal, but I think the clutch would be slipping if that was the case.
If you over fill it will leak out the fill hole which is lower than the top of the tranny.
bone-yard-racing wrote:
Remind him of two things for the mustang:
Slow in=Fast out
Fast in=Ambulance out
ImageImage

janson
n00b

Post by janson » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:14 pm

occasional demons wrote:Well unless the case was separated, changing the clutch normally wouldn't cause it to seep from the mating surfaces.

Get a paper towel and soak up where it is leaving a drop suspended to see what color it is.

Looks to be a 2000, so it would (hopefully) look like relatively clean engine oil if the factory MTX fluid is still in there.

Were the axle seals replaced when the clutch was done? It would take some turbulent air to get the oil that far, but it is not impossible.

Other than that, the previous suggestions are good places to check.
Found where the leak is after driving it for a while and quickly checking under the hood. Bubbles and trans seemed to be coming out of where its circled Image
Could probably be spewing while driving?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:06 pm

If there are air bubbles, it is not venting properly. Thermal expansion will create pressure and force the oil out.

I had a problem axle seal leak on my '92 Sundance Duster that they kept having to repair under warranty. A change of Service Manager that actually looked at technical service bulletins cured the problem: They neglected to put a vent in the MTX.

Fixing the vent may help 95%, but it may still seep a bit as the oil will sling around in there while moving.

After the vent is fixed, you may get away with scrubbing the area and using brake clean to degrease it good, and smearing some RTV on the location.

Otherwise you would have to pull the MTX, and separate the case halves, install diff saver tabs while you are there, and clean it up, get a tube of anaerobic sealant to seal the halves and reassemble.

The vent is the part with the loose fitting cap just forward of the shift selector shafts.

If it is clogged with gunk, it can hold enough pressure to create leaks.

The cap was missing on our ATX, so I just ran a tube up to the brake booster to keep it high enough so water couldn't get in.

It is a 1/8 pipe thread, if you need to get a barbed nipple to replace it. Just slip some tubing onto the nipple and route it to higher ground. One less worry if you get into a deep puddle.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:21 pm

jrumann59 wrote:
Donkeypuncher wrote:Isn't there a vent on the top that will puke out fluid if you overfill the trans?

If you over fill it will leak out the fill hole which is lower than the top of the tranny.
Unless you're filling it through the reverse light sensor hole, which is much easier. Just gotta remember to pull the plug on the fill hole so you know when it's full.

jrumann59
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by jrumann59 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:13 pm

Donkeypuncher wrote:
jrumann59 wrote:

Unless you're filling it through the reverse light sensor hole, which is much easier. Just gotta remember to pull the plug on the fill hole so you know when it's full.
You can do this but I will never again. Had nothing but problems for 2 months with the reveres light switch. Funnel with a hose is the way to go. If you want to get fancy one with a shutoff valve
bone-yard-racing wrote:
Remind him of two things for the mustang:
Slow in=Fast out
Fast in=Ambulance out
ImageImage

Return to “Drivetrain”