How do you increase the life of your trans?

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
05MoparSRT4
2GN Member

How do you increase the life of your trans?

Post by 05MoparSRT4 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Stupid subject title but I couldn't think of another way.....anyways:

I'm getting my SRT's trans rebuilt this winter, and second gear is now starting to grind. What exactly causes the third gear pop out/grind initially? What defines abusive shifting/hard shifting/fast shifting? Would a short throw shifter and what % would help reduce the chance of busting my synchros again. I barley boost my car because A) I have no third gear. B) In my prior car when I was 17 I got stupid and careless tickets (4 or 5?) and into 2 accidents between 17-20 years old so I'm trying to be a bit more careful and less careless. Anyways I have a few more questions but I'll edit it when I think of it for now those are really my main questions. thanks

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:25 pm

As far as short throw shifters, have Chuck at Maddog build you one with rod brakes. That way you won't over travel when shifting.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

05MoparSRT4
2GN Member

Post by 05MoparSRT4 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:26 pm

some people say he's a scammer any issues with him for you?

gtxtreme19
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by gtxtreme19 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Anyone saying he is a scammer is nuts, ignore them.
-Mike
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:Gramps, get a GPS.
Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. :D

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:38 pm

^^^ Totally agree. I have not heard anything bad about Chuck. Possibly they had him confused with someone else. Chipdogg had some issues getting stuff out earlier this year, but that was due to a work related injury. AFAIK, all is currently good there too.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:52 pm

gtxtreme19 wrote:Anyone saying he is a scammer is nuts, ignore them.
:withstupid:
Chuck is an honest guy and you can trust him 110%.
occasional demons wrote:Chipdogg had some issues getting stuff out earlier this year, but that was due to a work related injury. AFAIK, all is currently good there too.
You can trust Jake 110% as well. I speak from personal experience as both have helped me immensely. :thumbup:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:17 pm

05MoparSRT4 wrote:some people say he's a scammer any issues with him for you?
Zero issues. 8) He's a great guy to deal with .... You won't be disappointed. :D

I've had him 'customize' a few shifters for me, over the years.
Not only does he build short-throws (and add the rod brake, etc.), but he can build it with a custom shift handle, if you want.
I've seen him build shifters with 'Pistol Grip' handles, 'Hurst' handles, custom shift knobs, etc.

If you want the 'rod break', be sure to let him know, since that is optional.
I had him 'modify' my older 'Maddog' shifters, to add the rod brake. It is a very good idea.

You can PM him on this board; or reach him on http://www.maddogsts.com/

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Re: How do you increase the life of your trans?

Post by NickKo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:55 pm

05MoparSRT4 wrote:Stupid subject title but I couldn't think of another way.....anyways:

I'm getting my SRT's trans rebuilt this winter, and second gear is now starting to grind. What exactly causes the third gear pop out/grind initially? What defines abusive shifting/hard shifting/fast shifting? Would a short throw shifter and what % would help reduce the chance of busting my synchros again. I barley boost my car because A) I have no third gear. B) In my prior car when I was 17 I got stupid and careless tickets (4 or 5?) and into 2 accidents between 17-20 years old so I'm trying to be a bit more careful and less careless. Anyways I have a few more questions but I'll edit it when I think of it for now those are really my main questions. thanks
The 3rd gear synchro is a 'known issue' with the SRT T850 trans.
The problem is not the 3rd gear synchro itself.... Rather, it is the limitations of the Transmission 'Fluid' (or 'gear lube', if you will). :!:
The 3rd gear synchro is the first to show symptoms, on these transmissions.

The topic of Trans Fluid / Gear Lube is somewhat controversial, and has been beaten to death somewhat, on Neons.Org.
People have their own 'favorite' fluids to use.... Amsoil vs. Redline, vs. Mobil One High Mileage, etc.

Aside from the controversies- The important thing to know is that, Chrysler switched from using 'real' Gear Lube, like they did on the 1st gen Neons, to ATF in the manual transmissions .... Partly for 'cost-effectiveness' reasons; and to reduce inventory on the assembly line (one trans fluid, rather than separate gear lube vs. trans fluid, etc.)

The ATF is good for lubricating the gears - BUT not good for the synchros.
It has its advantages; but it's not good for the life of the synchros.

The 'original' MS-9417 Manual Trans Lube from the 1st gen Neons, is a better fluid to use.
http://www.factorymoparparts.com/4874465.html

You can also use Mobil One High Mileage 5W30 or 10W30.... (I strongly recommend the 5W30, if you live in a place with 'cold' winters, like the Midwest.)
Keep in mind, that you can't use 'regular' Mobil One. It has to be the 'High Mileage' variety.

Redline MTL and Amsoil MTF are also good fluids to use.
My personal favorite is the Amsoil MTF - It's what I've been using in my MTX Neons.

Here is another possible interesting alternative:
viewtopic.php?p=841790#841790
(This is a very interesting thread, by the way.) :)

Keep in mind that if you use the Mobil One oils, plan on changing it every 20,000 miles or so.

- Nick

05MoparSRT4
2GN Member

Post by 05MoparSRT4 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks guys for the info on Maddogg the Facebook Users are just idiots then.

Thanks Nick that's a lot of good information to use. I don't like the thought of putting engine oil in my transmission so I'll probably use the Amsoil. Is it amsoil synchro mesh that I can use? I noticed my 2nd gear now is starting to grind intermittently which obviously isn't good

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:58 pm

05MoparSRT4 wrote:
Thanks Nick that's a lot of good information to use. I don't like the thought of putting engine oil in my transmission so I'll probably use the Amsoil. Is it amsoil synchro mesh that I can use? I noticed my 2nd gear now is starting to grind intermittently which obviously isn't good
The Amsoil that I used is p/n MTFQT-EA = "Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30".
:thumbup:

- Nick

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:12 am

05MoparSRT4 wrote: the Facebook Users are just idiots then.
:P

While not all FB'ers are totally brain dead..... :D
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

05MoparSRT4
2GN Member

Post by 05MoparSRT4 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:16 am

occasional demons wrote:
05MoparSRT4 wrote: the Facebook Users are just idiots then.
:P

While not all FB'ers are totally brain dead..... :D

You're right!! Just the young 17/18 year olds! haha

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:55 am

Another thing that causes issues is the throwout/clutch release fork. It wears where it rides against the throwout bearing (cast iron on stainless steel) and reduces clutch travel, and it disengages less. This causes issues with shifting of course and prematurely wears out fibrides (mainly 3rd, most common one to shift to with the single fibride) and can bend forks when forced into 3rd.
COME TO MY NEXT NEON MEET!!!

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:37 pm

There is some adjustment on the clutch pedal that may, or may not help compensate for that, depending on how worn it is. If you loosen the screw, and pull up on the pedal, it will push the clutch in further for better disengagement. It may take some trial and error, but that small adjustment can sometimes work wonders.

viewtopic.php?t=26
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:48 pm

And who the hell claimed Maddog was a scammer? Biggest load of bullshit ever.
COME TO MY NEXT NEON MEET!!!

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:00 am

I avoid the facebook page if at all possible. Most troll ridden, idiot infested meeting place other than 4chan

Return to “Drivetrain”