Steering wheel vibration while turning sharp right 2001 R/T

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
ducktapetg
2GN Member

Steering wheel vibration while turning sharp right 2001 R/T

Post by ducktapetg » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Problem:
Vibration in steering wheel when taking sharp right turn (and only right turn). Feels as if something is rubbing. Goes away when straightened out and it also (seems to be) RPM related. If I take same right turn in neutral, the vibration doesn't seem to be there. Also, under heavy acceleration, there is one loud pop noise (I am going to assume these are related).

Background:
This summer, I replaced my timing belt and water pump. While I was there, I replaced all the motor mounts with Anchor mounts. I instantly regretted doing this because of the vibrations. I replaced the frame mount first with OEM. Then I replaced the upper torque mount with OEM. The lower torque mount is still Anchor. Just recently, I replaced the tensioner bracket because I was/am experiencing a popping noise when I accelerate fast or go into reverse. When I installed the inner mount, the threads were cross threaded but I used it anyway because I needed my car. Upon hearing this pop noise, I went to check on all the bolt torques and the center bolt would just spin which is why I replaced it. Also, the vibration was not there prior to the timing belt install.

Guesses:
I think the pop noise is from the toque struts shifting (but everything is torqued). I am guessing this because the mount location for the upper torque strut looks like the bolts has been moving.

Vibration while turning is beyond me. I think it is belt related but everything lines up.

Anyone have any guesses or experience with this?
Jason

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> viewtopic.php?t=66496

ducktapetg
2GN Member

Post by ducktapetg » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:58 pm

Well, I believe the problem has been solved. The transmission mount (which I replaced with anchor brand or similar) wasn't made correctly. The mount has/had a slight bend in it where it would rub against the frame causing this vibration when the engine moves toward the driver side (hard right turns). Using a pry bar, it was bent slightly so it wouldn't rub. If it happens again, I will be replacing the mount (hopefully not for a while/ever because it is cold out).

Long story short, I will never buy the "cheap" mounts again. More headache than they are worth.
Jason

2001 r/t

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:05 pm

ducktapetg wrote:Long story short, I will never buy the "cheap" mounts again. More headache than they are worth.
You got it. Good that you found out what was going on.

We haven't gotten out of the 20's all week here, so I bet it's even colder there!
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

ducktapetg
2GN Member

Post by ducktapetg » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:17 pm

Gotta learn the hard way.

It can't be much colder here (I'm in Southern NH) but I could almost guarantee you would numb doing even the most basic stuff in the weather (outside of course). Suppose to be wicked cold tomorrow though.
Jason

2001 r/t

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Glad you found it. Anything that creates contact btween the drivetrain and car body can make some wicked vibration/sounds.

I had some road debris somehow get in between the passenger mount plate and the frame rail. (Splash Guard on) That was about the most horrible sound inside the car ever, but outside you couldn't really hear it, and it was down in there where it wasn't easy to see.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

ducktapetg
2GN Member

Post by ducktapetg » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:23 am

Yeah, it was pissing me off because I couldn't duplicate it when the front wheels were in the air. I thought it was coming from the belt section so I removed all those mounts multiple times and found nothing. Oh well, the noise is gone now so I am happy. :thumbup:
Jason

2001 r/t

frankiearnone83
2GN Member

mount

Post by frankiearnone83 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:50 am

What part of the transmission mount was bent? I'm interested in knowing which mount it was?? The 2000-02. Or 2003-05 had different style inserts( the rubber in the mount ). Atx mounts. Would love to see a picture of the bend your talking about in the mount.

ducktapetg
2GN Member

Post by ducktapetg » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:15 pm

I do not have any pictures of the bent mount not that pictures would help. The part of the mount that was bent was the section that runs from the bushing to the frame section just below the battery. It was just slightly off. This mount was for a 2001 MTX.
Jason

2001 r/t

Return to “Drivetrain”