Speedo dead fuel gauge crazy

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
davethepear
n00b

Speedo dead fuel gauge crazy

Post by davethepear » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:19 pm

I replaced the intake manifold gaskets and fixed the bracket holding the computer up. I disconnected the battery and began removing things. I unplugged the 4 plugs from the computer and pulled it out of the car and straightened it out and bolted it back in its proper spot. I plugged the 4 plugs back in and locked the red tabs. I reattached the manifold. I also tightened down the solenoid pack's connection. Hooked up the battery and started the car. It runs better than it has in quite a while... until I tried to drive it.

I put it in reverse, no problem. I stopped and the fuel light came on, seems weird but it bounced back up to about a quarter tank. I put it in drive and it did it again, but also the speedometer doesn't work and the car slammed itself into 2nd and turned on the idiot light. 700 & 731 incorrect gear ratio. I didn't fry the transmission and fuel sender nor the gauge pack while it was off today. I've searched and found lots of the same problems with no answers, often no reply.

I really don't want to take this old hoopdy to a mechanic, any ideas? I've taken most of the connections apart and reattached them with zero joy.
2005 Dodge Neon SXT, 2L, 40TE atx... maybe 41, I'm tired and angry...
'05 SXT, 4 speed auto, 2L, recently acquired, has 168,000 miles afaik. also have an' 04 with 118k. I have a problem...

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Speedo dead fuel gauge crazy

Post by occasional demons » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:29 pm

Any chance a ground isn't connected?

The cluster needs the PCI bus to function, the Violet/Yellow wire, so which ever connector that wire is in, maybe give it an extra good look. Not sure about the fuel gauge, as it does not pass through the PCM to function. It does communicate through the cluster to the PCM for fuel level info. But I don't know how that would affect it's function.

If the PCM isn't seeing the VSS it will not know the speed to properly shift the trans, so it might be a simple matter of reseating the VSS sensor connector.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

davethepear
n00b

Post by davethepear » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:30 pm

gotta be something in the engine bay I screwed up... so many wires... the thing is a rat's nest. I'd hate to trash the car over a stupid wire. maybe I can find a wiring harness.
'05 SXT, 4 speed auto, 2L, recently acquired, has 168,000 miles afaik. also have an' 04 with 118k. I have a problem...

davethepear
n00b

Post by davethepear » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:55 am

it was a broken wire on the output speed sensor... it was broken inside the sheath but the ohms were zero, so I knew he was the culprit! I soldered the wire back together and heat shrink wrapped it, put everything back together again and drove it... worked at least as well as before. it wasn't a wire I messed with or even came close to! I still wonder why it made the fuel gauge go wonky...

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:58 am

Maybe the missing/intermitant VSS signal was messing with the PCI bus pulses, and did some sort of partial cluster test????

At least you found the issue, and things are happy again. :lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

davethepear
n00b

Post by davethepear » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:20 pm

thanks, Mr. Bill =)

Return to “Drivetrain”