Power steering delete

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
RainbowWrench
2GN Member

Power steering delete

Post by RainbowWrench » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:51 pm

So i have an SOHC 2002 SE ATX, bypassed the power steering and AC for a bit (no belt), enjoyed it somewhat, but with doordashing,and small shoulders, i put the belt back on for ps .

Any real gains for deleting or bypassing PS?
Fuel economy?
My idle seems lower without the ps or ac.

Sent from my S96Pro using Tapatalk

RainbowWrench :idea:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Power steering delete

Post by occasional demons » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:11 pm

No real gains. Unless you are racing, where all the cumulative stuff adds up, it's not really worth it on a daily driver. If you didn't make a hose to also bypass the PS pump plumbing, you were also making life harder.

A/C might use more fuel for city driving but at hwy speeds, it creates less drag than open windows.

Idle may seem lower due to no pressure in the PS and A/C system telling the engine to increase idle under certain conditions to keep it from stalling under load.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

RainbowWrench
2GN Member

Post by RainbowWrench » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:25 pm

occasional demons wrote:No real gains. Unless you are racing, where all the cumulative stuff adds up, it's not really worth it on a daily driver. If you didn't make a hose to also bypass the PS pump plumbing, you were also making life harder.

A/C might use more fuel for city driving but at hwy speeds, it creates less drag than open windows.

Idle may seem lower due to no pressure in the PS and A/C system telling the engine to increase idle under certain conditions to keep it from stalling under load.
My AC had a connector spliced into the conduit full of wires that runs horizontal across rad support. Wires from the (presumably aftermarket/replacement) connector were not color matched with the vehicles wires .
I removed that connector (high pressure?) as well as that which runs under manifold to starter switch, MAP sensor, ETC. And of course the Relay and fuse from PDC. The AC was ice cold but until months later was too much load to run unless driving .

Living in a Mountain Desert / Frozen Tundra climate , it could be a good idea to have AC . Just that damn AC High-pressure tubing between radiator/Condenser? That id appreciate never having in my way again.

RainbowWrench
2GN Member

Post by RainbowWrench » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:25 pm

Also: I hadn't made a loopback for the PS , just emptied reservoir and removed belt.

Return to “Drivetrain”