More SRT-4 Questions

Have a question related to Turbos, Nitrous, Supercharging, ect... ask it here.
mopar4life
2GN Member

More SRT-4 Questions

Post by mopar4life » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:10 pm

Alright Ive had some new problem arise out of my SRT4 and am gonna go ahead and ask before I do much to it. Here's my issues:

Did a boost leak test yesterday because its been losing boost as it winds out at a far faster pace than it should. The leak is coming from the throttle body, there is this little round deal under the TPS, it has a sensor going to the throttle body and has a little round thing in it that looks like a shaft, I believe its the throttle blade openin thing. Well its leaking around that, I took it off, put an O Ring around it and it slowed the leak. Does a gasket go on there factory or what does?

Also, once I get this boost issue solved I am looking into gettin a AGP or Kinetic wastegate actuator. Do I need a AFR gauge for that or can I just set it and leave it without any leaning out problems? Im gonna keep it at stock boost I just wanna hold boost until redline.
randomZERO wrote:I'm trying to help you not insult you. This is why neons have a bad name is because people buy all these plastic do dads and crazy lites, the neon is not a christmas tree. .

bone-yard-racing
2GN Member

Post by bone-yard-racing » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:29 pm

The thing you are describing sounds like the IAC cylinder/motor there should be a gasket.

You are fine to run the aftermarket WGA just be sensible about it and sell me your stocker really really cheap

mopar4life
2GN Member

Post by mopar4life » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:54 pm

Thanks man, Ill get that gasket ordered asap. I might sell ya my stocker too. I really wanna do the wastegate, itll get to about 4k it just starts to drop off, gotta pull harder with full boost all the way lol.
randomZERO wrote:I'm trying to help you not insult you. This is why neons have a bad name is because people buy all these plastic do dads and crazy lites, the neon is not a christmas tree. .

PhillyLS1
BANNED

Post by PhillyLS1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:50 pm

If you go over 15psi on the stock computer you will throw a code.
Official "SRT-4 parts came on SRTs for a reason" Member #0001
Official "I'm going to drive my neon until something better comes along." Member # 0001

bone-yard-racing
2GN Member

Post by bone-yard-racing » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:56 pm

stg1 takes care of that as well as the cut no?

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:33 pm

Wideband is always ideal, but you'd probably be okay without one. You will not run lean if you keep it under 17psi.

If you want some awesome performance out of the car safely without going crazy, i'd invest in a meth kit and a diablosport. But then you'd need a wideband. (DSP datalogs knock)
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

bone-yard-racing
2GN Member

Post by bone-yard-racing » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:37 pm

A wideband has what to do with logging the knock sensor?

mopar4life
2GN Member

Post by mopar4life » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks for reminding me of the Diablo Adionik, do I need a wideband to run a Diablo or long as I keep the boost under 17 itll be alright?

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:45 pm

bone-yard-racing wrote:A wideband has what to do with logging the knock sensor?
What are you talking about? Just because you're AFR's are in check doesn't mean you're not knocking like a son of a bitch

Mopar4life - Yes, you would need a wideband to run diablo because are you going to be controlling how much fuel your engine is using in certain RPM ranges. But you'll make a lot of power just getting it out of the 10.5 stock AFR range @ WOT. Spool will be quicker, etc. But you want to monitor knock..which the DSP does when you datalog.

So you pretty much find an empty road, floor it while watching your AFR's, then make adjustments and do it again. If you had a laptop in your car (Or a scan gauge) you could pretty much nail the entire time in a few pulls

It is a lot lot lot lot LOT easier than it sounds.

mopar4life
2GN Member

Post by mopar4life » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:48 pm

Sounds like alotta money to blow on a few pieces lol. I think Ill stick to the wastegate actuator and whatever else I can figure out that'll add a few ponies. I cant get the power to the ground as it is lol.

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:49 pm

Yeah...it's a snowball effect. If you don't want to spend too much on the car i'd suggest leaving it as stock as possible with a wastegate and exhaust...intercooler. Bolt on stuff.

Because once you start tuning you can make a shitload of power over not having a tune, but it will require $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

mopar4life
2GN Member

Post by mopar4life » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:56 pm

Yeah for sure, Ive already got exhaust with a guttted cat, and a K&N drop in filter. Came that way when I bought it wrecked.

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:58 pm

Throw a wastegate on there...maybe get some porting and up teh boost. Good to go for slaying civics :rofl:

mopar4life
2GN Member

Post by mopar4life » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:03 pm

Around here, the only thing worth racin is programmer'd bolt on'd Diesels, Im the only sport compact around lol.

bone-yard-racing
2GN Member

Post by bone-yard-racing » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Adionik wrote:
What are you talking about? Just because you're AFR's are in check doesn't mean you're not knocking like a son of a bitch
Theoretically yes it does. An engine with a perfect AFR for the amount of boost, compression, and, timing will not detonate.

I still do not understand why a predator with its base map would necessitate a wideband. Im not saying one isnt a good investment but I dont think its necessary. A narrow band will give a close enough reading to be sure you dont have a malfunction but it isnt a great tuning aid.

mopar4life
2GN Member

Post by mopar4life » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:17 pm

I have a better question on all this, using the canned Predator tune, how much power will I gain? Id rather not risk my car by tuning it myself and no one around here tunes computer controlled cars so Im kinda up a creek.

PhillyLS1
BANNED

Post by PhillyLS1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:53 pm

mopar4life wrote:I have a better question on all this, using the canned Predator tune, how much power will I gain? Id rather not risk my car by tuning it myself and no one around here tunes computer controlled cars so Im kinda up a creek.
You'll pick up 15-30hp from the canned tune in the DSP.
You need a wideband with the DSP. The canned tune leans the stock tune pretty good.
Once you get used to the DSP you can tune the car and log runs. Again you'll need a wideband to watch in case you fk'd something up.

With the DSP you can record knock.
Official "SRT-4 parts came on SRTs for a reason" Member #0001
Official "I'm going to drive my neon until something better comes along." Member # 0001

mopar4life
2GN Member

Post by mopar4life » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:58 pm

Hmmm, I may have to get all this together eventually. I plan on keepin my car forever but Id like to find another one to rebuild and mod out pretty good. May just wait and see if that comes to pass.

mopar4life
2GN Member

Post by mopar4life » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:26 pm

So, I need to order a IAC cylinder/motor gasket and itll fix my problem?

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:34 am

bone-yard-racing wrote:
Adionik wrote:
Theoretically yes it does. An engine with a perfect AFR for the amount of boost, compression, and, timing will not detonate.

I still do not understand why a predator with its base map would necessitate a wideband. Im not saying one isnt a good investment but I dont think its necessary. A narrow band will give a close enough reading to be sure you dont have a malfunction but it isnt a great tuning aid.
Quite a bit of people with relatively stock setups loading the 93 tune and even modifying the stock have had such a fluctuation of results that i'd be scared to even touch the DSP without a wideband.

Either way you can trim and fine tune your car a lot better with a wideband...for the $199 they cost I can't imagine not having one.

Only thing I hate is shitting bricks about someone stealing it.

bone-yard-racing
2GN Member

Post by bone-yard-racing » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:50 pm

Got it sorry Im still thinking along the lines of plug and play tuners.

Return to “Forced Induction”