smoking

Have a question related to Turbos, Nitrous, Supercharging, ect... ask it here.
Post Reply
7654800neon
2GN Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: harker heights, TX

smoking

Post by 7654800neon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 pm

so i just got my car runing after lots of little issues and when i come to a stop it starts white smoking pretty bad has a brand new turbo and head studs rebuilt motor like 1000 miles ago i noticed when i went to change my spark plugs there was oil in the tubes i wonder if that could be the cause

Image

User avatar
RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:36 am
Location: NY

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Did you do fresh gaskets?...or maybe a valve ring burnt out.
sounds like the problem though....especially white smoke.
Project 003. Just building a Daily Driver with some upgrades.
For Sale Thread | CarDomain | FeedBack
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies Club" Member #119

7654800neon
2GN Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: harker heights, TX

Post by 7654800neon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:09 pm

i did all gaskets except valve seals the spark plug tube gaskets and valve cover

User avatar
NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:07 pm
Location: Omaha,Nebraska

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Tue May 01, 2012 10:21 am

.....replace.....spark...plug...tube....seals..... right meow...
Image
-Sean
Official "I'm driving my neon till' it dies #28

BLK 03' NEON SXT 150,000 MILES

7654800neon
2GN Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: harker heights, TX

Post by 7654800neon » Sat May 05, 2012 5:14 pm

ok i replaced the spark plug tube and tube seals still smoking i put my oil line reducer going to the turbo and it still smokes but not as bad i dont know why and im running 11 to 12.4 on my wideband at idle which i know is really rich for idle but i dont know why it started doing that

gtownv6
2GN Member
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:30 pm

Post by gtownv6 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:19 pm

What color is the smoke? are you loosing any fluids?

Do a compression and leakdown test, what shape is the pcv in?
Image

7654800neon
2GN Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: harker heights, TX

Post by 7654800neon » Sat May 05, 2012 5:26 pm

its a light white then sometimes its gets dark white and i dont belive im losing fluids and im not sure on the pvc

gtownv6
2GN Member
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:30 pm

Post by gtownv6 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:08 pm

You need to do some diagnostics on the motor, compression, leakdown, there are chemical tests for a bad HG as well
Image

7654800neon
2GN Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: harker heights, TX

Post by 7654800neon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:40 pm

so im still having my smoking prob it seems like it does it after i get on it and when i come to a stop and its for like 5 seconds then it goes away but only when i get on it then stop

User avatar
mopar2
2GN Member
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:27 am
Location: Portage, WI

Post by mopar2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Turbo leaking oil internally?
2004 Dodge Neon SRT4 (New beast)
Owner of B&P Repair https://www.facebook.com/pages/B-and-P- ... 9500229160

occasional demons
Junior Admin
Posts: 19869
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:14 pm
Location: Ashland Ohio

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:17 pm

How is the turbo oil drain plumbed?

The spark plug tubes wouldn't make it smoke, unless the plugs were really loose. Otherwise, that oil will never get into the combustion process. or the exhaust.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

User avatar
NGCnoproblem
2GN Member
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 1:32 am
Location: Buckley, WA

Post by NGCnoproblem » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:47 pm

I fear for your turbo :sad5:
Sorry for Party Rockin
Image

chris1211
2GN Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 8:47 pm
Location: north carolina

Post by chris1211 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:57 pm

Yea my buddys srt his turbo is smoking wen he gets on it it will hold boost fine its just smokes bad turbo I say
10.85 1/8 @67.37 mph

silverneontuner
2GN Member
Posts: 754
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:15 pm

Post by silverneontuner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:03 pm

check pcv or upgrade it to an srt4 screwin style may be pressurizing the crank case un intentionaly , check compression ,check that its not the oil drain backing up in the turbo

7654800neon
2GN Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: harker heights, TX

Post by 7654800neon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:11 pm

the turbo is a brand new precision 6262 and the oil drian is plumb into the oil pan and when i look in the downpipe its not oily

Image

cutsheal5
2GN Member
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:48 am

Post by cutsheal5 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:44 am

I was trying to see what kind of set up you are running off the valve cover in your pic but its kind of hard, Do you have both of the lines from the valve cover hooked up. PCV to the intake manifold and the one at the rear to the intake?. This could be a huge factor in what is happening. Also what size restrictor are you running on that turbo, is it dual BB or journal.

White smoke is usually a case of burning coolant or running rich.


Dual catch cans is never a bad idea when your on Z boost either, helps to eliminate possible causes when dealing with smoke issues.

User avatar
JeffM
2GN Member
Posts: 3588
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:02 pm
Location: Vermont

Post by JeffM » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:12 am

Check the PCV. SRT guys have this problem all the time.
Image

7654800neon
2GN Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: harker heights, TX

Post by 7654800neon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:34 am

the one on the back of the valve cover goes to the cold air intake and the one on the side goes to the intake manifold when i pulled my throtle body off i did notice some oil in there but my intercooling pipe has none and im running no restrictor precision told me if the turbo needs one they will supply one and its a journal is there a better pvc that the srt guys are using

cutsheal5
2GN Member
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:48 am

Post by cutsheal5 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:15 pm

if they said you dont need a restrictor they are highly misinformed last i heard they use a garrett cartrage

I believe garrett reccomends .070"-.080" on journal turbos and .040" to .050" on dual BB with a car running a feed line bigger than -4 i think.

cutsheal5
2GN Member
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:48 am

Post by cutsheal5 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:38 pm

If you look around online you will see all the complaints about these PTE turbos, No offence but I would never buy one after all the crap i have heard about them.

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 3324
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:40 pm

Post by esteinmaier » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:51 pm

There are complaints all over from every turbo manufacturer, but there was a study a few years ago that concluded that over 90% of turbo failures are from other systems not functioning properly. Basically that means that they weren't installed right. BOV not working, oiling system not working right, PCV not working right, etc. all cause turbo failures eventually. Some faster than others.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

cutsheal5
2GN Member
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:48 am

Post by cutsheal5 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:13 am

esteinmaier wrote:There are complaints all over from every turbo manufacturer, but there was a study a few years ago that concluded that over 90% of turbo failures are from other systems not functioning properly. Basically that means that they weren't installed right. BOV not working, oiling system not working right, PCV not working right, etc. all cause turbo failures eventually. Some faster than others.


sorry let me clear this up. 90% of the complaints online you hear about PTE turbos is that the idiots that work for them will swear up and down that you do not need an oil restrictor with journal bearings. There have been TONS of people who put restrictors on after blowing 2-3 turbos and never had an issue since. Even with a .060 restrictor on the turbo its not going to over heat. Put the restrictor on and pull the return line off put it into a drain pan start the car for a second and watch how much oil comes through. If the turbo is smokin there is a problem.


I can see you are running a proper vaccume set up check to make sure the pcv valve is working properly. check your compression on all cylinders to ensure no internal damage causing to much blow by.
Or if you want just blow the turbo up and send it back to them for a rebuild on them.

stdlystdmufn
2GN Member
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Post by stdlystdmufn » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:19 am

cutsheal5 wrote:
esteinmaier wrote:There are complaints all over from every turbo manufacturer, but there was a study a few years ago that concluded that over 90% of turbo failures are from other systems not functioning properly. Basically that means that they weren't installed right. BOV not working, oiling system not working right, PCV not working right, etc. all cause turbo failures eventually. Some faster than others.


sorry let me clear this up. 90% of the complaints online you hear about PTE turbos is that the idiots that work for them will swear up and down that you do not need an oil restrictor with journal bearings. There have been TONS of people who put restrictors on after blowing 2-3 turbos and never had an issue since. Even with a .060 restrictor on the turbo its not going to over heat. Put the restrictor on and pull the return line off put it into a drain pan start the car for a second and watch how much oil comes through. If the turbo is smokin there is a problem.


I can see you are running a proper vaccume set up check to make sure the pcv valve is working properly. check your compression on all cylinders to ensure no internal damage causing to much blow by.
Or if you want just blow the turbo up and send it back to them for a rebuild on them.
Yes pleas clear up the turbo neon guru's post thankyou from all of us [/sarcasm] remember OP K.I.S.S how long has it been smoking b/c a turbo will smoke initially. just like replacing a head w/ all the gaskets involved it WILL smoke for a little bit. at that point smell the smoke from your exhaust pipe. does it smell like pancakes/syrup? then check coolant level in the overflow tank, and if you didn't hook coolant lines to your turbo then you can completly rule out the turbo. does it smell like burnt oil/ engine is running rich? Is the oil on your dipstick low? then you need to start doing things like a cylinder leak-down test. did you spill any oil on your exhaust, head, block during the install? do you see what I'm getting at? you need to rule out some simple things first. why was the engine rebuilt? was your head checked for a crack? how bad is the smoke. when my head was crakced in 3 exhaust ports, when i came to the 1st stop sign on my commute i was surrounded in a cloud of thick white smoke to the point where i could not clearly see traffic.
Image
in the middle of a DOHC and MTX swap and going with an ASP kit pwered by the S259 batmowheel

cutsheal5
2GN Member
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:48 am

Post by cutsheal5 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:23 am

quote]

Yes pleas clear up the turbo neon guru's post thankyou from all of us [/sarcasm]
:withstupid:
just because he is a guru doesnt mean he is right all the time! Everyone is has an opinion this does not mean that PTE makes good turbos in my opinion it needs a restrictor thats all.

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 3324
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:40 pm

Post by esteinmaier » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:34 am

Yea I'm basically trying to say that if its not working right, look at what you did first before saying the manufacturer didn't do it right.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

dtjackten
2GN Member
Posts: 2948
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:14 pm

Post by dtjackten » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:21 am

esteinmaier wrote:Yea I'm basically trying to say that if its not working right, look at what you did first before saying the manufacturer didn't do it right.
:withstupid:
304whp and 285 ft lbs.... 15psi.
*on the way to 400whp*
dave

Image

7654800neon
2GN Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: harker heights, TX

Post by 7654800neon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:30 pm

I put a restrictor on when I first got the turbo and I burnt it up sent it back and had it rebuilt that's when they said no restrictor I rebuilt the motor cus I burnt a hole in number 1 piston and it doesn't smoke a lot just for a couple seconds then goes away and did it when I had a smaller turbo on it and my budys 700 HP m3 has a precision turbo with over 60,000 miles on it and I know a lot of other people that love there's to but ill do a compression test this weekend

cutsheal5
2GN Member
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:48 am

Post by cutsheal5 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:57 pm

7654800neon wrote:I put a restrictor on when I first got the turbo and I burnt it up sent it back and had it rebuilt that's when they said no restrictor I rebuilt the motor cus I burnt a hole in number 1 piston and it doesn't smoke a lot just for a couple seconds then goes away and did it when I had a smaller turbo on it and my budys 700 HP m3 has a precision turbo with over 60,000 miles on it and I know a lot of other people that love there's to but ill do a compression test this weekend
personally if you compression test it and all is well i would throw a couple of catch cans on it.

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 3324
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:40 pm

Post by esteinmaier » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:14 pm

7654800neon wrote:I put a restrictor on when I first got the turbo and I burnt it up sent it back and had it rebuilt that's when they said no restrictor I rebuilt the motor cus I burnt a hole in number 1 piston and it doesn't smoke a lot just for a couple seconds then goes away and did it when I had a smaller turbo on it and my budys 700 HP m3 has a precision turbo with over 60,000 miles on it and I know a lot of other people that love there's to but ill do a compression test this weekend
Maybe I have this wrong but it sounds to me like you blew the motor, created huge crankcase pressure, stopped it from draining, and cooked it.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

7654800neon
2GN Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: harker heights, TX

Post by 7654800neon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:28 pm

i did 5 years ago when i first put a turbo on i ran to much boost on stock internals im buying catch cans tomorrow

Post Reply

Return to “Forced Induction”