UEGO and sensor placement.

Have a question related to Turbos, Nitrous, Supercharging, ect... ask it here.
hul kogan
Former Moderator

UEGO and sensor placement.

Post by hul kogan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:54 pm

Well, I figured that I would post this here since the other .org isn't helping me out too much. I am trying to figure out my sensor placement situation. I need to determine where to have them put a bung for my O2 sensor and also what yo do with the downstream and upstream O2 sensors.

I will be eliminating the cat which normally houses the downstream O2 sensor. Also, with the old setup I was running the upstream sensor in the SRT-4 O2 housing. Since both of these locations are now gone and my current downpipe doesn't have a bung in it, I planned on utilizing a cat delete pipe (basically) to bridge the gap between downpipe and midsection.

My questions:
Can I run the upstream sensor in the cat delete pipe or do I need to run it closer to the turbo...maybe have a bung put in the downpipe?

Do I need to run all 3 sensors (up, down, and wideband) or can I eliminate the downstream?

If I need to eliminate the downstream, how can I go about doing that? I know there are O2 simulators out there...do they work on our cars?

Does a resonator effect the wideband just as a cat does? Wondering because I could place the wideband in the midsection of the exhaust between the two resonators...

HAHA, many questions! Thanks in advance for the help.

.Chris
Chris | 00 Dodge Neon (Dark Jewel) | 04 Dodge Neon R/T | 00 Honda S2000 |

Proud member of CYL [www.caughtyalookin.com]

Kevin_GP
2GN Member

Post by Kevin_GP » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:30 pm

I have the same wideband. I have a stock o2 pipe with my upstream sensor, then like 20ish inches from that I have my wideband (where the downstream sensor is stock) and my downstream sensor is just ziptied out of the way, not in the exhaust.

I would keep the upstream sensor because it will help you keep your gas milage up when not in boost. Downstream does nothing but make sure the cat is working. So you can either unhook it, or leave it hooked up and zip tie it out of the way. Either way you are going to get a CEL. Not sure about the cat simulators.

I dont think its ideal to mount your wideband so far down the exhaust in the mid section. I think its more effective 30 inches like the instructions say. So I would put your upstream in your downpipe, and add your wideband right before where the exhaust attaches to the midsection, then your resinator after that.

hul kogan
Former Moderator

Post by hul kogan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:08 pm

Do you have your wideband sensor in the pipe at an angle as the instructions mention (to prevent premature failure of the sensor itself)?

If you have the downstream ziptied off to the side or just completely taken off, will it make any difference?

.Chris

Kevin_GP
2GN Member

Post by Kevin_GP » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:13 pm

I just used the bung in my downpipe, its on the side of the pipe.

I just zip tied it, that way my cel doesnt come on as fast, it takes like 15 minutes of driving lol. I think its both the same, if you dont have a cat, your going to throw a code.

hul kogan
Former Moderator

Post by hul kogan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:13 pm

The code itself really doesn't bother me too much. What will bother me is if not having the downstream in makes the car run worse. That was my main concern.

.Chris

gski4life
2GN Member

Post by gski4life » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:24 am

so lemme see if I can clear this up and get a understanding on it at the same time, stock there are 2 sensors....upstream (near the header) and downstream (after the cat)........so unless u wanna get a bung welded after the upstream o2 before the cat, u can remove the downstream since it only makes sure the cat is working, and place the wideband o2 sensor in that spot.....? is this correct in reasoning......of course codes will be thrown but I've taken out my check engine light bulb so it doesn't bother me, I just check my codes every day
"Hold up, you mean to tell me a broken clock is right twice a day?" Brilliant...

tooslow
2GN Member

Post by tooslow » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:58 am

you can put any where before the cat. there is guy who tested how far you can go from the actaul motor I think ity was accurate up 4 feet away. but on the other hand if it is too close you shorten the sensers life.
ms powered 03r/t turbo

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:13 am

id assume that the closer to the turbo, the more accurate the reading to the computer would be. but then again, if its too close, it wont last as long. gotta find a medium place.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Kevin_GP
2GN Member

Post by Kevin_GP » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:04 pm

Accuracy isnt a problem unless its super far down the exhaust. I would go with AEMs recomendation, I think they have it down best :wink:

Srt4Me03
2GN Member

Post by Srt4Me03 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:27 pm

Well i got my 02 sensor off the uego plugged into m y racepipe just below the 02 housing , seems to do the job correctly. Oppps and i just noticed i revived a old thread , sorry folks, just giving my little input.

Return to “Forced Induction”